Are you doing anything with Hue?

Soldato
isn't that an amazon error if they deliver the older gen2 bulb ... as some of the comments there suggest ?
the bluetooth on the newest gen4 ones is new, if you don't want a hub ... but otherwise they have same colour as gen3
https://huehomelighting.com/key-differences-1st-2nd-3rd-gen-philips-hue-bulbs/

Despite the smarthings compatability advertised will they work with the £6 ikea smarthings dimmers ? that's what i'd like to know

There's no such thing as an ikea smartthings anything.. smartthings is the Samsung platform, nothing to do with Ikea.

Soldato
There's no such thing as an ikea smartthings anything.. smartthings is the Samsung platform, nothing to do with Ikea.
ok - its a common platform using Zigbee protocol .. anyway turns out you can use the arguably better value/more asthetic tradfri remotes with hue - mix.n match

Success!
Check that you can control the bulb using the Hue app, and with the dimmer/remote. By comparison, here are a couple of examples of how mine are set up:
  • Two warm white Hue bulbs in the hallway, controlled by the app, Hue schedules, Hue motion sensor and a Tradfri dimmer
  • White spectrum Tradfri bulb in the bedroom, controlled by the app and a Tradfri remote. The remote supports on/off, brighten/dim, and colour temperature cycling.

Soldato
ok - its a common platform using Zigbee protocol .. anyway turns out you can use the arguably better value/more asthetic tradfri remotes with hue - mix.n match

No, ZigBee is a common protocol. Smartthings is a Samsung product set.

Like tradfri is IKEA, they work on ZigBee but aren't necessarily interoperable easily.

It's pedantic but it's a point.

Soldato
I don't get the point
... the original post was obviously hoping soemone would tell me about their success story with interoperability between Zigbee devices Smarthings/Hue/Tradffri
which, happily, seems possible.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
So I had the new Richer Colour GU10's delivered yesterday, installed them in the evening. They are now the same size as a normal GU10, so if the size of the old ones worried you then these are not a concern.

The colours are better too, especially the greens, which were always a bit crap. I might get 4 more next time they're on offer and replace the old ones I have in the kitchen....

Soldato
I don't get the point
... the original post was obviously hoping soemone would tell me about their success story with interoperability between Zigbee devices Smarthings/Hue/Tradffri
which, happily, seems possible.

It was just your first post you said "ikea smartthings dimmers" where I guess you meant "ikea zigbee dimmers" which makes sense.

There's Ikea compatibility or homebrew stuff for it, haven't tried it myself as I use echos to set various dimming levels on my hue lights, for me being handsfree is kind of the point :)

V_R

V_R

Soldato
What (Android) apps do you guys use? I've always just used the default Phillips app, and occasionally Hue Pro, but I've just discovered 'Hue Essentials' and first impressions are very good! So much so that I might just pay for premium.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yes, I do also have dimmer switches in the main rooms mostly for the other half who still likes a physical switch! Along with a motion sensor in the hall, and a few Google Home's in the living room and bedrooms for voice control.

I just like tinkering with the settings in the app to get things all just as I like it and Hue Essentials does that well. It shows you the temperature via the motion sensors, battery levels in the switches and so on, none of that is available in the Philips app. :)

Soldato
Decided to Hue everything with a surface and a nearby socket but having issues with the lightstrips. So far one of them each alternate "warm white" LED is a different colour and on another strip it's in sections, with the 1m extension a completely different shade of warm white compared to the main strip. Should I just accept this (the difference isn't too bad but noticeable) or keep on returning them until I get ones that I am happy with?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Officially, no.

Unofficially, yes, but you'll need to do some DIY, not sure exactly but it involves some Ethernet cable and some soldering. Google will explain better than I can.

Associate
As mentioned above you can cut the strip through the solder pads near the usual cutting place and then just resolder some ethernet cable between the two half's. This worked just fine for me.

You can also buy extenders on places like amazon which are custom made for the Hue led strips if you don't want to do the above.

Soldato
I've recently thought about how I'd like motion sensing lights in my bathroom and kitchen. I assume it's pretty simple? Buy a Hue bulb and a Hue motion sensor and link the two up in the app? Is there any way to make it do different things depending on the time of day? I'd love if I go to the bathroom after midnight and before 6am, for it to only come on to 50% for example.

Then, my kitchen has a row of 4x GU10 bulbs, which look to be about £40 each for the Hue version. If I want two motion sensors (I think, for each end of the kitchen, to cover coming in from the back door) and 4 GU10 bulbs, what is my best option?

**EDIT** Maybe I should just try something like this for my kitchen? But maybe only the ones pointed the way you are will light up, so maybe not ideal?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've recently thought about how I'd like motion sensing lights in my bathroom and kitchen. I assume it's pretty simple? Buy a Hue bulb and a Hue motion sensor and link the two up in the app? Is there any way to make it do different things depending on the time of day? I'd love if I go to the bathroom after midnight and before 6am, for it to only come on to 50% for example.

Then, my kitchen has a row of 4x GU10 bulbs, which look to be about £40 each for the Hue version. If I want two motion sensors (I think, for each end of the kitchen, to cover coming in from the back door) and 4 GU10 bulbs, what is my best option?

**EDIT** Maybe I should just try something like this for my kitchen?

I have motion sensors for mine, and I use the white ambiance GU10s not the more expensive colour ones.

You can control how bright they come on between certain hours, overnight mine come on at like 20% instead of 100%.

I do have the hub though, not just bulbs + motion sensor.

I don't find I use the colours much, so I tend to buy white ambience, then at least I can pick between cool/warm white, or somewhere inbetween.

Hue stuff is expensive but works well, I would not buy a cheaper brand personally.

Soldato
Oh yes, John Lewis have the two pack of white for £20. That's fine. I just need them to come back in stock! Good news on the light settings at different times, thanks.

And, two motion sensors controlling the same set of lights? Is this okay?

Soldato
Oh yes, John Lewis have the two pack of white for £20. That's fine. I just need them to come back in stock! Good news on the light settings at different times, thanks.

I'd assume so, I've not done that yet with mine though I hasten to add.

I would definitely recommend white ambience over just white though, let's you fine tune the white setting, costs about twice as much though.

Soldato

Yes i've seen a Hue recipe for this sort of thing, although can't vouch if it works or not. But they don't usually post up non-working recipes.

I find the motion sensors a bit limiting actually. In the sense that it only allows for two time windows. I.e. you set it so that between XX:XX hour and YY:YY hour the lights will do this if triggered, and then for the remaining hours in the day the lights will do this if triggered.

I did find a recipe that allowed for a third window to be added, but can't remember how useful it was.

Back
Top Bottom