Are you gagging for Blu-Ray / HD-DVD in your Next-gen console?

Associate
Not really. I don't have a HD tv, and is there really any point to that much space on a disc ? It's just gonna get filled with crap extras.

I will be investing in this market when the price is right. I have seen BR movies and they do look a lot better than normal DVD films. I have also seen High Definition content being displayed in demos and to be fair it is much better.

Can I afford it this year? no. Can I afford it next year, probably Not. Can I afford it the year after?maybe. If the PS3 does an ok job of displaying the HD format and comes at a reasonable price and has a remake of FFVII then I will buy one.

HD/BD players will be backwards compatable with DVD and some may be intercompatable.

Permabanned
Another thing surely, just because HD movies can be better quality doesn't mean they will be. DVD can be excellent quality but there are plenty of poorly mastered DVDs which are grainy and are no better than VHS.

Associate
So far I have only seen brief snippets of what HD TV can look like

1. The ladies in their Swimsuits displayed on the HDTV demos in Comet!
2. Some of the Kameo intro and Video scenes on Xbox 360 (these are lovely)

Compared to that, my HD-850 dvd player (although crisp) looks a bit flat by comparison. What im saying is that if HDDVD produces the crisp images like those ladies in their swimsuits then Ill have to go for it. What worries me is that I have downloaded some 720p movie trailers and havnt been blown away

As for storage space and what it means for games I dont really know. I dont mind a bit of disc swapping if a game is good and that is no rason to justify the extra cost. If a game does reqire this enormous storage though, it would be interesting to see what it is and how good...I guess we will have to wait and see.

Commissario
I'm not fussed about it with regards to consoles.

I'd much rather the manufacturers spend the money on a more important part of the console, or sell the console cheaper.

You don't need masses of storage to make a good game, you don't even need masses of storage to make a great looking game, all that having masses of storage tends to do is make it easier for developers to make a game with loads of FMV.

The GC only has about a gig and a half of storage on it's discs and yet manages to do some very nice cutscenes, mainly by using the ingame engine rather than stuffing the disc full of FMV.

I certainly wouldn't buy a console with a new type of drive as part of a home entertainment system, as they invariably are pretty poor at the job compared to a proper player.

Back
Top Bottom