• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are you going buy one ATI new 5 series or wait to see what Nvidia releases ??

Soldato
As a GTX295 user I'd rather wait thankx, my CF 4870 experience was not a good one to say the least, but I thought I would give them a go, now I remember there was a reason I stayed away from ATI. I doubt the new ATI cards will be much more than 10% faster than the 295 in most games anyway.

Edit: In fact looking at some benchs it appears the 5870 will be 10% slower than the GTX295?

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit: In fact looking at some benchs it appears the 5870 will be 10% slower than the GTX295?

They bounce around between faster and slower than each other, also those benchies may be utter trash for all we know.

The thing about the 5870 it is as fast, nearly as fast or faster than the 295 and is a SINGLE card.

This means many things, 1 being it doesn't suffer from SLI/XFire losses in some games, another being that it means if you crossfire it you still have a single card that rivals the 295 (we hope) and when Xfire works it will destroy the 295 (CPU allowing of course and also depending on the single card speed).

Basicaly, even if it is below the 295, the attraction is in the lack of xfire requirement, it's pretty much a single GPU 295.

Associate
Is there any more news of when it will come out ? i mean any of the DX 11 cards. Ive gotto wait to october as im waiting for windows 7 out so i can have a copy in my hands but will be good to hear if there going to be soon so i can plan my rig around a DX card or jsut buy a gf 275 and then in about a year get a DX11 card maybe a better bet as then more games will support DX 11.

Soldato
Why do people not read bloody threads, you don't need to read the whole thing, just a few pages, it's been mentioned enough times.

ATI release 23rd September.

Nvidia Release - no one knows.

My advice, get a 5850/5870, they will both knock the socks of the 275.

Permabanned
What an absolutely idiotic statement. It's important for damn near everyone, most people would rather pay £200 than £400 unless there's a huge difference in performance. It's called diminishing returns.

Let me guess, you own a 65" Kuro, Asus Mars SLi etc. Maybe you could post some pics from your Nikon D3x?

man i agree with what you said about the ratio, the asus mars, the nikon d3x etc etc. but the KURO? come on... every single penny you spend for that tv is worth it!

Associate
I've always bought the high end cards when they costed £350-450 and always considered the price/performance ratio to be more useful for those buying slightly slower or mid range products to be honest, price performance is usually crap for high end so using that as a way to justify purchases has never made sense to me.

When I choose a card it's about the product and not the price, unless the price is crazy high.

Associate
As a GTX295 user I'd rather wait thankx, my CF 4870 experience was not a good one to say the least, but I thought I would give them a go, now I remember there was a reason I stayed away from ATI. I doubt the new ATI cards will be much more than 10% faster than the 295 in most games anyway.

It would be silly to upgrade for what seems to be only a small increase.

I am going to because I have a 4870 AND it will be cheaper than the 295

Associate
Although it has been said some still don't seem to have got the point these 5870's right now are on beta drivers and coming close too or beating a 295 which has mature drivers. The advantage the 295 has is nothing that can't be taken away with maturing drivers for the 5xxx series. Anyway you cut it the 5870 is looking to be one impressive card that is going to get better as the months go by so given nvidia will have nothing to compete for a few months if at all going by recent statements this is the card to buy even if you only buy one till nvidia get soemthing out the door.

Back
Top Bottom