• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are you going buy one ATI new 5 series or wait to see what Nvidia releases ??

AMG

AMG

Soldato
I don't think the GTX280 smashed the HD4870 as it came quite close at times, not close enough i know but the HD4870 was cheap and cheerfull. however the GTX280 is a great card no dealt about that

I don't think Nvida can do it this time, due to them losing the chipset business, as intel do it themselfs now and AMD have not gave them permission to make chipsets for them any longer.

Soldato
Next Spring/Summer and hopefully by then AMD will release 6 core cpus, 1.5-2TB and ssds will be faster/cheaper perhaps a decent 24-26" IPS/PVA panel screen and more importantly Supreme Commander 2 will be out :)

Soldato
5870 for me on or around launch day.

I'll cross the GT300 bridge if/when it comes - i'm certainly not holding off a couple of months just to find that maybe it's GT200 with a die shrink and Dx11 slapped on. :/

Permabanned
Yes and a 3870x2. ATi through and through that lad. Nvidia must have done somthing really bad to him, he is a true hater.

:confused: A 2900 was a lot cheaper than an 8800GTX, it was on par with a 8800GTS which cost a similar amount.

Seriously, cut the BS having a 2900 and 3870X2 doesn't = true nVidia hater.

Especially the 3870X2 which was a pretty good card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if you wait to see what Nvidia offer & it is better it will cost a lot more, besides AMD will just lower prices to make them better price per performance.

If Nvidia isnt as good as AMD's then they will have to price it less otherwise total waste of money & only the Nvidia freaks will buy them.

Common Sense.

Soldato
OP
Some you guys seem to forget that ATI also sometimes price there GPU cards skyhigh went they have the fastest/best card out....

I Remember paying about £400 for my xt1900xt-x ...and if i remember right my ati AIW 9800pro cost an arm & leg as well..

Last edited:
Permabanned
Some you guys seem to forget that ATI also sometimes price there GPU cards skyhigh went they have the fastest card out....

I Remember paying £400 for my xt1900xt-x ...and if i remember right my ati AIW 9800pro cost an arm & leg as well..

That was the pre AMD ATi though, they've changed pricing structures since, or at least claim to have anyway.

They could have, in relation to nVidia's GT200 cards, charged similar monies to them as they were/are very competitive performance wise, but they didn't, they massively undercut them.

Soldato
ill be upgrading to a 5870 from a x1650, i wont bother with nvidia as i just cant justify paying the price they ask for the performance, but thats my personal opinion.

Associate
Im building a new i7 machine soon and I was thinking of dropping in a 4890 but now I think im going to put in a real basic graphics card to get me going and then put the cash towards the 5870. Will there be a 5890 on release? Oh and ill be coming from a geforce6800 agp :eek:. Mind you my current machine is years old and has served me well through college and uni so upgrading to a new i7 machine is gonna be awesome. :D

Permabanned
Did he really go with the 2900XT?

I know quite a few users here that bought the HD2900 and defended it, I'm not going to name names, they know who they are. I think the 3870X2 was one of the most popular cards for a while even though it wasnt really much faster then nvidias single GPU offerings.

But at least they made up for it with the 4 series and hopefully again with the 5 series. :D

Associate
I'm going to wait if I can. Which probably means my impatience will end up getting the better of me again.

I've owned both brands over the years and each have their own issues.

I'm pretty sure as others have mentioned that Nvidia will come up with a more powerful card in the end so it will be interesting.

The cost of the ATI is appealing but I think more and more games will use Phys X in the future and it's a pain that only Nvidia have this.

One things for cetain though, whichever people choose they are likely to be very impressed with the new tech.

Associate
I brought a hd2900xt because it cost the same as a 8800 GTS 320mb :) and offered performance which was better. I have alligance to the company which offers me the best performance for the money in that price bracket. :) I do have preferances, so if two are similar then i will go with ATI/AMD over intel/Nvidia, i prefer the company ethics of ATI/AMD over intel/nvidia :).

Back
Top Bottom