• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Are you going buy one ATI new 5 series or wait to see what Nvidia releases ??

Caporegime
I know quite a few users here that bought the HD2900 and defended it, I'm not going to name names, they know who they are. I think the 3870X2 was one of the most popular cards for a while even though it wasnt really much faster then nvidias single GPU offerings.

But at least they made up for it with the 4 series and hopefully again with the 5 series. :D

THe 2900xt was a great card, its ONLY flaw was high power consumption and maybe 10% less performance than it should have had, and a teeny bit too expensive. Why, because it was a 90nm card that should have been on the 65nm process. The same reason they didn't get it to 65nm is the SAME reason the GT300 isn't out now, TSMC screwed ATi then, and the screwed Nvidia now, and they screwed Nvidia on the GT200 die shrink.

THe 2900xt was faster than the 8800gtx in bioshock in DX10. Don't forget, the 2900xt is DX10.1, 8800gtx doesn't support a lot of features it does. Keep in mind the 2900xt is faster than the 8800gtx in Assasins Creed when using dx10.1, as it would have been in every single game that SHOULD have used DX10.1. Its like the ultimate case of TWIMTBP, no the card will be faster because we screwed up dx10, lets ask Microsoft to change DX10, so the 2900xt loses 20% performance in DX10 games it should have, woo for us.

Its still a great card, and on 65nm, 20% cheaper, 10% higher clocks with the full original DX10 spec added to having 40% lower power consumption, and without TSMC screwing them it would have been better than 8800gtx from launch in every major title since Vista was released.

This is why I point out in threads, in Nvidia's defence, their late cards, both new and current having been so late isn't their fault, its TSMC's.

The lack of real DX10 for the past 2 years killing a lot of performance, and degrading IQ because of no tesselation, is a real kick in the teeth, why Microsoft ever agreed to do so I have no clue, well I do I guess, a big bag of money somewhere.

Frankly I'd go Nvidia again if they had a better price/performance bracket than ATi cards have. They won't though, the generation after GT300 I hope (for the sake of competition) that Nvidia finally switch to a small core strategy like ATi, because it means better value for money for everyone, and the sooner both companies are making cores running in clusters like ATi the sooner programmers will get the full performance available from that kind of design. Right now its easier to code for a bigger less complex Nvidia based core so they aren't fighting for every last drop of performance from the ATi design. If they both have a similar type setup like we had several years ago, we'd see better performance.

But the size, the lateness and the crapyness of TSMC mean GT300 ain't gonna be particularly cheap to produce :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
THe 2900xt was a great card, its ONLY flaw was high power consumption and maybe 10% less performance than it should have had, and a teeny bit too expensive. Why, because it was a 90nm card that should have been on the 65nm process. The same reason they didn't get it to 65nm is the SAME reason the GT300 isn't out now, TSMC screwed ATi then, and the screwed Nvidia now, and they screwed Nvidia on the GT200 die shrink.

THe 2900xt was faster than the 8800gtx in bioshock in DX10. Don't forget, the 2900xt is DX10.1, 8800gtx doesn't support a lot of features it does. Keep in mind the 2900xt is faster than the 8800gtx in Assasins Creed when using dx10.1, as it would have been in every single game that SHOULD have used DX10.1. Its like the ultimate case of TWIMTBP, no the card will be faster because we screwed up dx10, lets ask Microsoft to change DX10, so the 2900xt loses 20% performance in DX10 games it should have, woo for us.

Its still a great card, and on 65nm, 20% cheaper, 10% higher clocks with the full original DX10 spec added to having 40% lower power consumption, and without TSMC screwing them it would have been better than 8800gtx from launch in every major title since Vista was released.

This is why I point out in threads, in Nvidia's defence, their late cards, both new and current having been so late isn't their fault, its TSMC's.

The lack of real DX10 for the past 2 years killing a lot of performance, and degrading IQ because of no tesselation, is a real kick in the teeth, why Microsoft ever agreed to do so I have no clue, well I do I guess, a big bag of money somewhere.

While agree that the 2900 wasn't a bad card by any means, to say it 'should' have been faster than an 8800GTX is completely incorrect, the 3870 is essentially what the 2900 should have been, and we all know that wasn't an 8800GTX beater...

Caporegime
Give me a break, it struggled even to compete with the 8800GTS 640MB, I don't want to hear if, buts or maybes, the time has passed.

Thats just crap, its a great card and reviews show this, get over it, early reviews of first driver sets of the 2900XT, against 6 month old(unstable in vista) 8800gtx drivers, weren't as close, 2-3 months later, the 2900xt was far more competitive.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Give me a break, it struggled even to compete with the 8800GTS 640MB, I don't want to hear if, buts or maybes, the time has passed.

What you 'want' to hear is completely irrelevant.

The 2900s were on par, if not faster than 8800GTS 640s...

It only takes actually looking at benchmarks to see this.

Caporegime
Have you quoted yourself by accident?

That may or may not have happend :p

While agree that the 2900 wasn't a bad card by any means, to say it 'should' have been faster than an 8800GTX is completely incorrect, the 3870 is essentially what the 2900 should have been, and we all know that wasn't an 8800GTX beater...

It really was, it was better in DX10 than the 8800gtx in 3-4 games, factor in what we saw later, a 10-20% bump in performance in Assasins Creed in dx10.1 over DX10, and thats the performance we should have seen in all DX10 games as it was originally seen. Theres a reason a company likes Nvidia takes a drastic step and has MS rape DX10 to death, it wasn't because ATi would have seen a 1-2% performance bump, if it meant nothing, it was no big deal at all to leave it as it was.

10-20% bump from "real" DX10 being used, added to the 10-15% higher clocks the card would have had on 65nm, it would have been better, with more features and higher IQ.

You do know the 2900XT outperformed the 3870, its cheaper and smaller core, its not what the 2900XT was meant to be, not even close, it was a radically different design, the 2900XT was a monolithic design like the GT200, not identical but it was HUGE, the 3870 was tiny, completely different approaches to core design, the 2900XT was raw performance and very very good.

Associate
The 2900 wasn't DX10.1 - ATi only introduced that with the HD 3XXX series.

I was one of the people to buy a 2900, and in all honesty there is no denying it was a poor card. I went form an X1800XT to it and the performance jump wasn't very impressive at all. Pretty much every game with the 2900 had to be played without AA because of the massive performance drop that was evident when it was enabled.

In my eyes the 2900 was just very poorly thought out (massive amounts of bandwidth from the 512bit bus, but without enough raw processing power to make any use of it, poor AA implementation etc.), and really the last card that 'ATi' made without much influence from AMD.

Anyway, on topic I will probably wait a couple of months after release to let the dust (and prices) settle to make a decision about buying a 5870.

Soldato
The 2900 wasn't DX10.1 - ATi only introduced that with the HD 3XXX series.

I was one of the people to buy a 2900, and in all honesty there is no denying it was a poor card. I went form an X1800XT to it and the performance jump wasn't very impressive at all. Pretty much every game with the 2900 had to be played without AA because of the massive performance drop that was evident when it was enabled.

In my eyes the 2900 was just very poorly thought out (massive amounts of bandwidth from the 512bit bus, but without enough raw processing power to make any use of it, poor AA implementation etc.), and really the last card that 'ATi' made without much influence from AMD.

Anyway, on topic I will probably wait a couple of months after release to let the dust (and prices) settle to make a decision about buying a 5870.

I bought one aswell (£290 :o) and despite me being a fan of the new architecture there is no doubt it was massively inefficient hot and loud but look at how this particular architecture has developed and look where ATi are now :)

The 2900 was rushed despite being late and the drivers at release were horrific for the new architecture. ATi have learned a lot from it either way

Associate
The performance of my hd2900XT is not what is the problem :p its the inefficiency of it in comparison to what you can have now in the Hd4 series or even now the HD5k series you get so much better performance per watt. which is something i am looking forward too :) i think i will get my hd5k at the end of oct, hopefully the hype would have died down abit and its when my parents are coming back from the usa for abit so i can get it off newegg.

Associate
I have had a 8800gts for three years now, it has lasted well and still plays most things at an ok setting but its time to upgrade now so i am going to get a 5870 as soon as they are out, i dont think the green teams cards will be out in numbers until next year anyway.

bee

bee

Associate
either side has their "gimmicks", physx is ok certainly adds a bit to batman arkham asylam but it certainly wouldn't sway me either way, ati's eyefinity multi monitor support is great but 3 screens are kinda expensive and you need a fair amount of space but its certainly a very nice feature.

however the next monitor i buy will have to be 120hz no question and i keep hearing from people that 3d vision is actually very good indeed with games that are designed for it so i'll probably stick with nvidia

Associate
I'm trying to think of games which will really use the power of a hd5870 which my Hd2900xt can't really do now. Crysis is the main one, DiRT 2 when that comes out, what is everyone else going to throw at there HD5k card?

Back
Top Bottom