Are you working over Christmas?

Soldato
I'm off Christmas eve until 4th Jan. I've been working from home since March though so it's all kind of blurred.

I worked in retail and customer service for 10-11 years and spent last Christmas and New Year in a hospital bed so I'm grateful to get some proper downtime.

Man of Honour
Not working now, as I retired in 2012, but when I was working, (driving my own Black Cab in London), I’d go out on Christmas Eve until maybe midday, too many drunks after that, no thanks.
If I had to pick up a family member on Christmas Day who was coming for lunch or dinner, the TAXI light would be out, but I’d have the MDT on, in case a trip was offered on the screen that I could comfortably fit in with picking the relative/friend up, this could pay for my session in the pub while the enemy was fixing dinner.
I’d go out on Boxing Day if I felt sober enough, but I wouldn’t work for long, if I did 10 trips, each attracting the £4.00 extra for Bank Holiday that would do, I wasn’t greedy.
Same thing NYD, but always TAXI light out by 5.00 p.m. then home, not interested in drunks, I let Uber have them.

Man of Honour
Sorry, tried to delete this as a duplicate, to no avail.
Not working now, as I retired in 2012, but when I was working, (driving my own Black Cab in London), I’d go out on Christmas Eve until maybe midday, too many drunks after that, no thanks.
If I had to pick up a family member who was coming for Christmas lunch or dinner, the TAXI light would be out, but I’d have the MDT on, in case a trip was offered on the screen that I could comfortably fit in with picking the relative/friend up, this could pay for my session in the pub while the enemy was fixing dinner.
I’d go out on Boxing Day if I felt safe to do so, but I wouldn’t work for long, if I did 10 trips, each attracting the £4.00 extra for Bank Holiday that would do, I’m not greedy.
Same thing NYD, but always TAXI light out by 5.00 p.m. then home, not interested in drunks, that’s what Uber is for.

Caporegime
Sorry, tried to delete this as a duplicate, to no avail.
If I had to pick up a family member who was coming for Christmas lunch or dinner, the TAXI light would be out, but I’d have the MDT on, in case a trip was offered on the screen that I could comfortably fit in with picking the relative/friend up, this could pay for my session in the pub while the enemy was fixing dinner.
I’d go out on Boxing Day if I felt safe to do so, but I wouldn’t work for long, if I did 10 trips, each attracting the £4.00 extra for Bank Holiday that would do, I’m not greedy.
Same thing NYD, but always TAXI light out by 5.00 p.m. then home, not interested in drunks, that’s what Uber is for.

I dont think Uber would have been around when you last worked NYD.

Associate
Working the next few days and Christmas Eve
That said "working" on Christmas Eve involves arriving for 8am, sitting down for my free fried breakfast from the canteen, seeing off my boss who's moving to a new job, wishing everyone merry Christmas and then leaving at 11

Soldato
Nope. And I don't think I'll have a job to go back to afterwards either.

That's rubbish.
Always hate this time of year for work, everyone stops ordering starting in December and we end up praying that orders will come in after the new year.
Hate the not knowing.

Soldato
That's rubbish.
Always hate this time of year for work, everyone stops ordering starting in December and we end up praying that orders will come in after the new year.
Hate the not knowing.

Management have already moved the manufacturing side of the company out of the country, so I can only assume that the laboratory/research side will also be moving at some point too. We haven't been told anything, but I have a strange feeling in my water - and it ain't a STD or UTI.

Man of Honour
I dont think Uber would have been around when you last worked NYD.

After a little Googling, you appear to be right, they commenced operations in London in mid 2012.
I apologise, perhaps I was thinking of all the scare stories in the licenced trade press, about how “the game” would be finished once Uber got established.
These turned out to be true, but I was hors de combat by then, unless I’m suffering from Alzheimer’s, and I actually quit taxi driving later than I thought, but my original thoughts on drunken punters stands, let minicabs have them.

Soldato
Out of the 20 Christmases at my current employer, I've had to work 18 of them in some form or other (overtime). Once I had the flu, this year lands well and I don't need to work :D Finish on the 24th, start again on the 4th.

Associate
On Security so 11pm eve to 10 am Day and have not seen next rota but i'm single it's another day and since the weather is so mild who would think it christmass less you have kids. Just another shift to go through the motions of pandemic stuff.

Back
Top Bottom