• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Arghh, don’t know what to do now.

Associate
So I had a GTX 1080 ti and sold it for £350 expecting to be able to buy a 3080. Ordered a MSI Ventus but have now cancelled that due to the known issues and the fact I only managed to get my order in at 00:21 on the 18th putting me at the back of the queue with no indication of when I might actually get it.

I’ve got the possibility of a year old 2070 Super for £325 as a temporary card/wait for the 3070 hoping they don’t have issues like the 3080/wait for AMD cards/get a 3080 Tuff OC when I can.

I play BF5 on a 1440 144Hz g- sync monitor and also race in Assetto Corsa Competizione at 3440x1440 100hz.

What would you do? I’m completely lost now.

Associate
I would not have cancelled the order to be honest. But given your circumstances now I would wait for the release of "big Navi" who no doubt too will have the same supply problems NVidia is having now. Once that's come out at the end of October you should see NVidia's response, which I believe will include the 20GB version and supplies will have improved. As to the reboot issues on the 3080s... No doubt this will be fixed with either a driver or firmware update.

Associate
OP
I would not have cancelled the order to be honest. But given your circumstances now I would wait for the release of "big Navi" who no doubt too will have the same supply problems NVidia is having now. Once that's come out at the end of October you should see NVidia's response, which I believe will include the 20GB version and supplies will have improved. As to the reboot issues on the 3080s... No doubt this will be fixed with either a driver or firmware update.

I think I’m just going to see what October brings from both camps then make my decision. I was all ready to build a full new PC so if we get decent results I’ll get the whole package towards the end of October, hopefully in time for my birthday on the 1st of Nov. Hopefully!

Associate
I wouldn't have cancelled as by the time you received your card they could have revised the production model to a v1.1 or something, in any case you still could have returned it. Not sure I agree with the statement above about Navi having the same supply issue as Nvidia, after all there using TSMC for supply and if anything they (AMD bigwigs) could sit down at the board table and agree how they can avoid a disaster like the 30xx launch......but they probably won't........

Permabanned
I would wait a little. There seems to be some confusion as to what is causing the drop to windows issue. The TUF is a pretty safe bet on the capacitors but the jury is still out.

Permabanned
I wouldn't have cancelled as by the time you received your card they could have revised the production model to a v1.1 or something, in any case you still could have returned it. Not sure I agree with the statement above about Navi having the same supply issue as Nvidia, after all there using TSMC for supply and if anything they (AMD bigwigs) could sit down at the board table and agree how they can avoid a disaster like the 30xx launch......but they probably won't........
Agreed. The Samsung fab is a big part of nVidia's problems. Frank Azor replied to a guy on Twitter today who said that he bets $10 the AMD launch will be an equivalent nVidia paper launch...Azor surprised the gut by replying to his tweet and saying he will gladly take the guy's $10.

Soz, no link.

Soldato
So I had a GTX 1080 ti and sold it for £350 expecting to be able to buy a 3080. Ordered a MSI Ventus but have now cancelled that due to the known issues and the fact I only managed to get my order in at 00:21 on the 18th putting me at the back of the queue with no indication of when I might actually get it.

I’ve got the possibility of a year old 2070 Super for £325 as a temporary card/wait for the 3070 hoping they don’t have issues like the 3080/wait for AMD cards/get a 3080 Tuff OC when I can.

I play BF5 on a 1440 144Hz g- sync monitor and also race in Assetto Corsa Competizione at 3440x1440 100hz.

E-tailors are getting a steady supply of stock almost daily and not all of them have the long pre-order queues that are here. I didn't buy mine until Tuesday and now it's sat in my PC

Associate
OP
Yeah a 2070 Super is decent, or maybe grab a second hand 2080ti on the cheap.
Your coming from a 1080ti so least you get RTX / DLSS while you wait for the Ampere situation to improve.
Another thought is that if I do get the 2070 super for now at least I’m gaming again and when everything improves I can sell my current PC as a working system and put the money towards the new machine.

Associate
Ah yes I saw that too, perhaps AMD are taking note. Nvidia are really a laughing stock right now, for simply the reason of a botched launch which will be talked about for years to come and on their next release and the one after that. All it really takes is for AMD to release a comparable product to the 3080 - doesn't even have to equal it, but come within a reasonable % margin, have a slightly lower consumer price and most importantly have stock and they could take huge a segment of the gaming market in this area. After all they did this with Ryzen and look where they are now....

Permabanned

I have a 2060 with a 1440p 165hz monitor and for the meantime if you are willing to drop settings to medium in battlefield V you can get around 110-120fps.
or you could get a second hand 2060 super to get a bit more performance.

we also have the same CPU and Ram so this will be about what you get with your system.

Associate
OP
I have a 2060 with a 1440p 165hz monitor and for the meantime if you are willing to drop settings to medium in battlefield V you can get around 110-120fps.
or you could get a second hand 2060 super to get a bit more performance.

we also have the same CPU and Ram so this will be about what you get with your system.

That’s good to know, thank you.

As hard as it is I’m going to try not to purchase any cards until the end of October. By that time there should be a lot more options on the table. I will then also purchase all the parts needed for a new Pc build too. I think it will all be worth the wait!

Associate
OP
Little update:

I got an RTX 2070 Super!

I know there will be better things out very soon but if they are impossible to buy I’m not wasting any more time with it all. I’ll update the whole computer next year now.

Back to gaming!

Associate
Little update:

I got an RTX 2070 Super!

I know there will be better things out very soon but if they are impossible to buy I’m not wasting any more time with it all. I’ll update the whole computer next year now.

Back to gaming!

I hope you got that used/at a hefty discount.

Associate
OP
I hope you got that used/at a hefty discount.

I was going to get a used year old one for £325 locally but picked up new Asus OC card for £395. As I got £350 for my old card this has only cost me £45. I am happy enough for now.

I know for a bit more again there will be better cards but I don’t care, I’ll upgrade next year when everything settles down.
Peace!

Back
Top Bottom