*** ArmA II Thread - OA, CO, PMC, BAF ***

Soldato
I've seen tons of gameplay videos and it looks like ArmA II is possibly the closest thing to a difficult, realistic and authentic war experience out there. It's what Call of Duty Modern Warfare promised to be years ago, and what Battlefield 3 claimed to be. I'm honestly shocked with all the love for flight/train/city sims this forum has, the only true authentic fps game since the original Flashpoint is completely overlooked. Despite Flashpoint's success and obvious market, ArmA II just doesn't seem to have the momentum it deserves, it may be a year later but that's no reason for it to have fallen completely flat on its face.

2108572390.jpg

I've noticed there is only a thread on this site for DayZ and ArmA 3! Yet this game has such amazing traditional content, while the campaign may be a little strange (personally I've gone through a whole mission and not even seen a single enemy yet :confused:) it offers some of the best multiplayer on the market! I'd love for there to be a thread where people talk about something other than DayZ, and perhaps where people on this forum can arrange sessions together that involve Co-op vs. A.I. scenarios and/or the traditional player vs player.

Afterall ArmA II is basically Battlefield III with more thinking and skill required, so why this forum doesn't have an obvious hardcore following of the title is beyond me. I'd of thought that the fact there a lot of older gamers who are interested in more mature, thoughtful games would be spamming the forums with this!? Shame on you! :D
I personally did not spend £25 just to gain access to a free mod, I'd like to experience the entire package, so if anyone is up for it, or knows where to point anyone who's interested, do contribute!

Possibly one of the youngest forum members trying to get attention to a game like this while the older members spam DayZ, Battlefield and Call of Duty, surely it should be the other way around? :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think people play much ArmA2 vanilla online. Me and my mate tried finding others to play with and there was just no servers for PvP, it's all mod servers.

Soldato
OP
I don't think people play much ArmA2 vanilla online. Me and my mate tried finding others to play with and there was just no servers for PvP, it's all mod servers.

Well when I tried ArmA II Free to see how it felt/ran there were tons of pvp and coop servers, a lot of them were dedicated too. I've noticed tons of mission types other than DayZ in the multiplayer search, just never looked into them as I was too busy hyping myself up over DayZ (which is brilliant by the way, this topic in no way shape or form bashes it).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I tried the Arma II demo a while back and it was utter garbage. I think the only reason I bought it was because of how awesome DayZ looked.
But now I think it's a great engine, and I'd like to play more of the vanilla game, but I also bought AO or whatever it's called and PMC for better resolution skins in dayZ :)

Soldato
OP
I tried the Arma II demo a while back and it was utter garbage. I think the only reason I bought it was because of how awesome DayZ looked.
But now I think it's a great engine, and I'd like to play more of the vanilla game, but I also bought AO or whatever it's called and PMC for better resolution skins in dayZ :)

The textures from PMC and BAF will apply to almost everything, so you can play vanilla without having to worry about wasting money. :)

I would be more than up for some vanilla co-op or with ACE mod and ACRE! Could even create some of our own missions!

I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what ACE or ACRE are! :p

I've seen tons of gameplay videos and it looks like ArmA II is possibly the closest thing to a difficult, realistic and authentic war experience out there. It's what Call of Duty Modern Warfare promised to be years ago, and what Battlefield 3 claimed to be. I'm honestly shocked with all the love for flight/train/city sims this forum has, the only true authentic fps game since the original Flashpoint is completely overlooked.

Man of Honour
Operation Flashpoint wasn't completely overlooked. It was just terrible.
I looked forward to it for years and then it came out and some mission where I had to escape (maybe the 4th mission in the campaign), stuck in the forest, surrounded by infantry, armory and a hind overhead.... but...it crashed midway through it for no apparent reason.

Awesome game, filled with massive game-breaking bugs which ****ed me off so much I just couldn't be bothered to even try any more.

I'm glad Arma II is (finally) not so bad.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
The textures from PMC and BAF will apply to almost everything, so you can play vanilla without having to worry about wasting money. :)

I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what ACE or ACRE are! :p

I've seen tons of gameplay videos and it looks like ArmA II is possibly the closest thing to a difficult, realistic and authentic war experience out there. It's what Call of Duty Modern Warfare promised to be years ago, and what Battlefield 3 claimed to be. I'm honestly shocked with all the love for flight/train/city sims this forum has, the only true authentic fps game since the original Flashpoint is completely overlooked.

ACE is probably the singlemost definitive "mod" for any game. It completely changes ArmA II in the sense that it adds things and fixes things that you would expect to have been done with the final version of the game, it's fantastic.

ACRE, as far as I remember, was a radio mod that links with Teamspeak? Gives a really authentic feel to the radio system - so things like valleys etc will affect the transmission.

Soldato
OP
Operation Flashpoint wasn't completely overlooked. It was just terrible.
I looked forward to it for years and then it came out and some mission where I had to escape (maybe the 4th mission in the campaign), stuck in the forest, surrounded by infantry, armory and a hind overhead.... but...it crashed midway through it for no apparent reason.

Awesome game, filled with massive game-breaking bugs which ****ed me off so much I just couldn't be bothered to even try any more.

I'm glad Arma II is (finally) not so bad.

The original Flashpoint wasn't overlooked no, I didn't say it was, it was held in very high standards, its the games that came after it that let the series down. Despite Flashpoint's success and obvious market, ArmA II just doesn't seem to have the momentum it deserves, it may be a year later but that's no reason for it to have fallen completely flat on its face.

ACE is probably the singlemost definitive "mod" for any game. It completely changes ArmA II in the sense that it adds things and fixes things that you would expect to have been done with the final version of the game, it's fantastic.

ACRE, as far as I remember, was a radio mod that links with Teamspeak? Gives a really authentic feel to the radio system - so things like valleys etc will affect the transmission.

My mind just blew a few nerves with the awesomeness it just processed. :eek:

Soldato
OP
So you didn't ... sorry I misread :)
Well, anyways - I'm up for this :)

An apology isn't needed mate. :D

From the little we've played on DayZ you seem like a mature guy, which is what we need as well, lets face it; we don't exactly want one of our squad doing a 360 jump off the side of a mountain trying to noscope some rebel. :rolleyes::D

Caporegime
absoulutley terrible games only reason i would buy again is for dayz apart from that utter garbage.

aparently they are going to ship dayz with arma 2 soon as stock

Soldato
One of the youtubers I sub to has posted allot of Arma II vids lately and although it does look quite realistic in terms of a lot of walking about with not much happening, then sudden fire fights, the main thing putting me off is whenever he looked down his iron sights there was a very distracting popup with any trees, they seemed to suddenly grow extra leaves out of nowhere whenever he zoomed in. Please tell me this was just down to his graphic settings and that this type popup can be totally removed, such that looking down your iron sights does not change the level of detail to this degree.

Soldato
OP
One of the youtubers I sub to has posted allot of Arma II vids lately and although it does look quite realistic in terms of a lot of walking about with not much happening, then sudden fire fights, the main thing putting me off is whenever he looked down his iron sights there was a very distracting popup with any trees, they seemed to suddenly grow extra leaves out of nowhere whenever he zoomed in. Please tell me this was just down to his graphic settings and that this type popup can be totally removed, such that looking down your iron sights does not change the level of detail to this degree.

You can change the depth of detail through standard settings and .ini edits, just like most games. You'll need a very powerful machine to do that, though.

Back
Top Bottom