Arsenal Ponder legal action

Man of Honour
Guess it's the only option left to Arsenal, because the the FA will doubtless refuse to take any further action, citing the fact that "our hands are tied as the referee saw the incident".

Funny how that rule never applied when Bergkamp was retrospectively charged with an elbow that was seen by the ref a few years back.

Still, suing seems a bit overboard. There's been bad tackles for years, including by Arsenal players.

Soldato
Diaby was running rings round there midfield all day long!!

The tackle was terrible - incredibly late and straight in at the ankle!! Broke it in two places I think!
Yellow Card - now thats a joke!

Reesy Moan moan moan moan moan wenger. Get over it. ******

If you were 21 just breaking into the Arsenal first team and having a wicked game and then some complete loser idiot whos going down breaks your ankle in two places what would you be like??? 'oh thats ok no worries - nearly got there hey' ??? :mad:

Soldato
OP
Clipsey said:
Diaby was running rings round there midfield all day long!!

The tackle was terrible - incredibly late and straight in at the ankle!! Broke it in two places I think!
Yellow Card - now thats a joke!

If you were 21 just breaking into the Arsenal first team and having a wicked game and then some complete loser idiot whos going down breaks your ankle in two places what would you be like??? 'oh thats ok no worries - nearly got there hey' ??? :mad:

oh so he should have said " hey your probably better than me and were relegated so there you go mate take the ball and put it in the net" :o

Permabanned
Clipsey said:
and then some complete loser idiot whos going down

and the relevance is ?
If roles were reversed would it not matter cos he's a 'complete loser idiot',so no great loss being out for a few mts?

It was a bad tackle,but not worthy of a str red according to the ref who saw it,and its a bad injury,but hey **** happens.

Associate
I think players shown to deliberately go for the man should be banned as long as the player is injured within reason (talking leg breaking tackles like the one on Jamie Carragher etc). It'll put a stop to guys like Essien etc taking the strop and going for shins.

I've played long enough in Midfield to know how to tackle and there is no need for a player to have his foot up(studs showing). Anyone can mistime a tackle but some of the tackles we've seen this season have been horrendous! Diably is only 19 as well, what if he can't play again? A player at an already relegated club (with nothing to play for) has put someone's career at threat. Diably isn't old enough to have earned the big bucks that his teamates have.

Soldato
OP
sneakyd said:
I think players shown to deliberately go for the man should be banned as long as the player is injured within reason (talking leg breaking tackles like the one on Jamie Carragher etc). It'll put a stop to guys like Essien etc taking the strop and going for shins.

I've played long enough in Midfield to know how to tackle and there is no need for a player to have his foot up(studs showing). Anyone can mistime a tackle but some of the tackles we've seen this season have been horrendous! Diably is only 19 as well, what if he can't play again? A player at an already relegated club (with nothing to play for) has put someone's career at threat. Diably isn't old enough to have earned the big bucks that his teamates have.

oh ffs

course he'll play again dont be so dramatic. and why doesnt Smith have anything to play for???????!! hes only a young lad to who is trying to force his way into the first team and maybe show off to other clubs his potential, with the game being live on Sky. Just because a club is relegated doesnt mean the players dont have anything to play for.

dont be so narrow minded

Soldato
Dtab said:
and the relevance is ?
If roles were reversed would it not matter cos he's a 'complete loser idiot',so no great loss being out for a few mts?

It was a bad tackle,but not worthy of a str red according to the ref who saw it,and its a bad injury,but hey **** happens.

I think thats the point, he gets the same punishment as kicking the ball away, and because the ref 'saw' it no further punishment can be given. Great post over at arseblogger about it.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. I don’t believe that Arsenal will sue the player or Sunderland Football Club but I think that for too long the FA, UEFA and FIFA have tried to paper over the damage done by serious foul play. They have consistently pussied out of addressing the issue but will issue edicts and rules about petty, stupid things all day long. You can’t take your shirt off, you can’t run over to your fans to celebrate, you can’t kiss your badge in front of other fans, you can’t wear a t-shirt undearneath your shirt with a message to your friend who’s just had a baby, you can’t kick a ball 5 metres away when the opposition get a free kick without getting a yellow card but you can fracture and dislocate another player’s ankle and because you’ve gotten a yellow card nothing more can be done about - even if the ref has got it obviously wrong. As an example, let’s look at the case of Liverpool goalkeeper José Reina. He put his hand on Arjen Robben’s face. You can see Robben’s reaction there. So, by the letter of the law Reina can’t raise his hands and is given a straight red card with a 3 match ban. There was nothing really ‘violent’ about his conduct, the referee maybe didn’t see it at the time and gave the card on Robben theatrics, but with video evidence it can clearly be put into perspective and perhaps the ban can be lessened. We also had José Antonio Reyes banned for 3 matches for a similar incident during an FA Cup game last season. By the letter of the law it’s a 3 match ban and let’s just say we accept that. Where the problem lies is the fact that even if Dermot Gallagher had given Daniel Smith a red card the maximum punishment for him would have been three games. Which is the same as Reina got for nothing much. The same as Reyes got for nothing much. There is no distinction between conduct which, by the letter of the law, is a red card and dangerous, violent play in which the player deliberately intends to hurt his opponent. Dennis Bergkamp got a three match ban for stamping on the ground against Liverpool. Yes, his challenge was reckless and I’m glad he didn’t connect, but the bottom line is he didn’t touch the player and still got the same ban as he would have if he’d landed on his leg or foot. Now, if the FA want to discourage this kind of behaviour then they really need to introduce retrospective punishments whether the referee has seen and dealt with the incident during the game or not. They should be able to look at a tape of the Diaby incident and say “The referee has got it wrong. It is our opinion that Smith’s challenge was designed to injure his opponent and he should serve a 10 match ban”. They also need to be able to look at behaviour like Arjen Robben’s during the Reina incident and say “You were acting to get a fellow player sent off. You get a two or three match ban.”

Clerkin said:
oh ffs

course he'll play again dont be so dramatic.

You do realise this is a career threatening injury?

Soldato
It was an awful tackle and deserved a red card and a suspension, no other action is needed really.

Them tackles should attract a lengthy ban in my opinion, they're career enders.

Soldato
Clerkin said:
dont think anyones denying it was a bad challenge but i still cant imagine he'd have done it to hurt him.

Well of course only he knows, but his reaction says a lot imo, and his attempted apology ''If' I caught him'. I'd say a broken ankle shown you caught him.
The angle that he also tackled at he had no hope of getting the ball as the ball was never there and the ball would always be going forward, and he came in at the side.

Soldato
Very bad tackle, can I even use the word tackle, because tackle would make you think he was going for the ball which he clearly wasn't. I hope he can recover from that injury, it would be very sad to see a career that is already short enough as it is, cut even shorter by someone's stupidity and ignorance.

Back
Top Bottom