Artic Pro64

Soldato
Quick question does anybody know of any problems with the Artic 64Pro and the dfi UT NF4 Ultra D? as i need good cooling for my memory and i cant have this if there is a huge heatsink in the way. :)

Soldato
OP
Which is better the Pro or the Thermaltake Xp-90c with a normal, not super loud fan? As i can pick a Pro up locally but would have to do an hour journey to pick up an XP-90c, so dont want to if i dont need to lol.

str

str

Soldato
The Arctic Freezer 64 Pro does a very good job and is reasonably quiet at max speed and virtually silent at slower speeds although it's cheap for a reason IMO (build quality isn't exceptional). I've tested the 64 Pro and it's definately a lot better than my SLK-948U but from what I've read the Thermaltake Big Typhoon and that Ninja are probably better still although they are more expensive too. The latest Zalman might even be the best of the lot of them but again it's even more expensive.

Whatever you decide on do let us know your results. :D

Soldato
OP
str said:
Whatever you decide on do let us know your results. :D

Well at the minute i am running on the stock h/s fails prime after 2hrs 15. :(

I have a Venice 3200, it is running @ 1.525v @260x10, the temp goes up to 51oc, dont want to put more v core through it until i have a better cooler. :)

str

str

Soldato
Any one of those coolers should provide far better results at that voltage although IMO the Freezer 64 Pro really can't handle any more than ~1.6v with my setup although it's possible my CPU gets extremely hot compared to others. You might want to do a search to find out about all the top end air coolers as it's really difficult to choose one. There's an air cooling section over at www.xtremesystems.org/forums with results of the Thermaltake Big Typhoon which makes for good reading.

Also how about some nxSensor results on your stock cooling? Have a look at this thread and report the max processor and max cpu thermal diode temp under load please mate.

Soldato
OP
str said:
Any one of those coolers should provide far better results at that voltage although IMO the Freezer 64 Pro really can't handle any more than ~1.6v with my setup although it's possible my CPU gets extremely hot compared to others.

TBH i dont want to put more than 1.6v through my cpu anyway that would be the max i went to, i would be happy if i could get it prime stable for 4 hours at 2.6-7ghz as i am runnig my memory 1:1

str said:
Also how about some nxSensor results on your stock cooling? Have a look at this thread and report the max processor and max cpu thermal diode temp under load please mate.

Trust you to ask for it once i had turned of my rig. :(

If i get time i will do it in the morning, but i may just shoot of to spend money. :p

Soldato
OP
str said:
No worries, if you don't get the time to do it mate. What cooler did you decide on? :)

Haven't decided yet, but i am leaning towards the artic cooler.

I will try that thing once the new cooler is installed if that is ok, or did you want a before and after jobbie?

str

str

Soldato
Yeah before and after would be ideal. I'm gonna try the Freezer 64 Pro tomorrow too so I can show the results vs the stock cooler I'm currently using so your results would also be good as a comparison.

Soldato
OP
str said:
Yeah before and after would be ideal. I'm gonna try the Freezer 64 Pro tomorrow too so I can show the results vs the stock cooler I'm currently using so your results would also be good as a comparison.

Ok what i will try to do is run prime for 40-60 mins tomorrow with that program and grab screenies, and then again after new cooler will that be ok?

str

str

Soldato
Matty, I really should have mentioned my experience with my first Freezer 64 Pro. The first one I got had 3 caps missing from the top of the heatpipes and also oil leaked onto the motherboard from the fan (it's a fluid dynamic bearing fan).

I thought it was the heatpipes that had leaked due to the missing caps but I read on here about others finding oil on their motherboard/case windows and it was said it was the from the fan. That oil actually caused a problem with my old MSI Neo Platinum resulting in it not booting until I had cleaned most of it off and then when it was booting ok the vcore had dropped from default of 1.4v to 1.1v! I cleaned the rest of the oil droplets as best I could and it was doing 1.4v again so that oil on the motherboard can have a nasty effect.

It was said the reason for the Freezer 64 Pro leaking oil from the fan is 'cos of running the fan at a slower speed than the default using PWM. I had it on the CPU fan header in my MSI Neo Platinum which slowed it down when the CPU temp was under 50c.

That's kinda what I was meaning above with my questionable build quality comment but I wasn't sure if I should post it seeing as maybe I had a faulty one (especially due to the missing caps on the heatpipes!) but the more info you can get before deciding on buying I guess can only be a good thing. :)

I've got a new Freezer 64 Pro on my DFI UT NF3 250Gb and it's fan is running always at full speed so hopefully no leakage will occur!

Soldato
OP
str said:
I've got a new Freezer 64 Pro on my DFI UT NF3 250Gb and it's fan is running always at full speed so hopefully no leakage will occur!

Will have to check the cpu is whole before i leave the shop. :)

Mine will be on full all the time due to the overclock if i can set it in the bios, so hopefully it will stop any leakage. :(

Back
Top Bottom