AS Exam Timetable Rant

Associate
Taking STEP 1 this year to impress for my UCAS form - I'm applying to Cambridge next year.
I heard the same about organic chemistry as well. Hopefully I'll get high enough UMS grades this year to make getting 3 As a doddle next year - I'm keeping all my subjects on for one thing so I'll have F maths and 3 sciences to pick from.

Associate
the_brainaic said:
Taking STEP 1 this year to impress for my UCAS form - I'm applying to Cambridge next year.
I heard the same about organic chemistry as well. Hopefully I'll get high enough UMS grades this year to make getting 3 As a doddle next year - I'm keeping all my subjects on for one thing so I'll have F maths and 3 sciences to pick from.

if you take fmaths you are expected to take step 2/3. step 1 is very easy. and if you are applying for maths, theyll give you a step offer :p also, be careful with this, cause afaik they can see your step paper, so if you do (god forbid) fail on that paper, theyll see exactly how ;]

Associate
Yeah I know, but I'm not applying for maths! I'm going for the 25% compsci course... The compsci DoS at Catz (which is where I hope to be going) is very keen on mathematical ability so I'm using it as a chance to show off. I doubt I'll fail - I'm hoping to get a 1, if not an S. I managed to qualify for the BMO2 this year so if I don't do well in STEP I'll be extremely annoyed.

Soldato
Tommy B said:
Don't tell me how long my exams are ffs. Each unit lasts ONE HOUR, and we get one half an hour break every 3 UNITS.

Doing a job and sitting in a dull room speechless staring at a bit of paper is DIFFERENT.

Stop crying baby.

I've done it in the past, so have loads of other people. I managed to pass with decent grades, and one of my exam days consisted of 2 history papers and a english one - man my arms ached.

You have to work under pressure sometimes, and the losers are usually the ones you see moaning about it....

Associate
the_brainaic said:
Yeah I know, but I'm not applying for maths! I'm going for the 25% compsci course... The compsci DoS at Catz (which is where I hope to be going) is very keen on mathematical ability so I'm using it as a chance to show off. I doubt I'll fail - I'm hoping to get a 1, if not an S. I managed to qualify for the BMO2 this year so if I don't do well in STEP I'll be extremely annoyed.

fair enough, but bear in mind you have to actually do work; for instance - take two guys in my year - one guy came top of olympiad @ maths, came top 10 at olympiad at computing (incidently got to do a comp at camb).. but in STEP 3 (cause he just didnt care) he got like a 2 or 3 {wasnt required for his offer to oxf}. On the other hand, a moron friend of mine, who acutally sucked at maths, got an offer to camb, managed to get S's in step 2&3 cause he worked day and night for two months or something :D

so good luck with it and i hope you do well :D

Associate
the_brainaic said:
Yeah, I know it need practice. Thats why I'm thankful that the STEP exam is ages after my last A level exam (C4) so I've got a lot of time for preperation towards it.

haha that same thing sucks in a2 year, cause ** doing exams whilst everyone else is partying :(

Soldato
OP
Initially I thought I was being pathetic, but some of you have taken that role now. "Stop crying" etc. How are such comments useful? I said I was angry, yes, but I'm not crying about it. I was just trying to say that it'd be better if the exams were spaced out, so they tested your ability in the subject and not mental endurance.

Soldato
OP
spirit said:
Just 'cause people disagree with what you are saying, doesnt mean that they are idiots :/

They ignore it. Subtle difference.

I said "It wouldn't hurt anyone if they spaced the exams out a bit" and I then had to reiterate this thought about 5 times.

Last edited:
Associate
Tommy B said:
They ignore it. Subtle difference.

I said "It wouldn't hurt anyone if they spaced the exams out a bit" and I then had to reiterate this thought about 5 times.

fair enough, we'll agree to disagree :D IMO exams should be made harder ;)

Soldato
best thread ever voted 5
rating_5.gif

Associate
Stop having a little sissy fit and get on with it. We all know that x amount of hours a day of exams is ball ache but people for years have been coping. everyones all in the same boat.

Back
Top Bottom