Ascending the Spinnaker Tower

Associate
So today we finally went up the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth, and picked a pretty good day to do so. Managed to get a few good photos, and then a few I wasn't sure what to do with.

Good ones:
The_View_by_NeilK.jpg

Small_Steps_by_NeilK.jpg

tower7xj.jpg

contd below

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ones I wasn't sure what to do with post processing:
dscf00563lo.jpg

(thought it was quite a nice shot but wasnt sure what to do to make it stand out)
dscf00525jc.jpg

Wondering if anyone could give me some tips to try to pick out those reflections in post processing
dscf00838gx.jpg

Just not sure what to do

And finally some panoramics:
1, 2, 3

Associate
Wondering if anyone could give me some tips to try to pick out those reflections in post processing

Pretty trick to post process - some very careful cloning/burning would probably be the way forward. Extremely laborious though!

A prudent investment for future shots such as these would be a polarizing filter, which would help to cut down on unwanted reflections.

I like the first photo - I'd be tempted to clone out the masts and so on though

Associate
OP
OK thanks, any suggestions of what to look for in a polarising filter, and the best place to buy them? And in the first photo by masts, do you mean the gaps in the glass?

Soldato
Neil K said:
OK thanks, any suggestions of what to look for in a polarising filter, and the best place to buy them? And in the first photo by masts, do you mean the gaps in the glass?
For me atleast, the actual first 2 images aren't visible (red Xs). So he's probably referring to the 3rd image.

I'd guess he means the boat masts at the bottom of the photo.

Last edited:
Associate
Neil K said:

Naughty naughty, no asking for competitors! I'll give you a shot with mine when I come back down for easter, they can make a real difference to some photos.

First shot is good, and I like the second panoramic as well.

As for getting rid of the reflections, as said above, it is a case of careful cloning and or burning to get rid of them or at least make them fade a bit.

I'd be tempted to b&w the shadow one, and really darken the shadow to make it stand out, that way the eye will be drawn to the shadow instead of the surrounding areas.

Hope that helps :)

Kimmett

Associate
OP
Oh yeah, I forgot you got a polarising filter. Also do OcUK sell polarising filters? Otherwise it surely doesn't count as competitors if there is nothing to compete with.

Oh and in the photo with lots of reflections I meant it would be cool to enhance the reflections to show peoples expressions etc.

DiG

DiG

Associate
tbh I had a polarising filter when I went up the spinikar and it didn't help much! Maybe I'm just **** at using them!

Much better than the photos I got!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
DiG said:
tbh I had a polarising filter when I went up the spinikar and it didn't help much! Maybe I'm just **** at using them!

Much better than the photos I got!

PFs can help but you need to preset the camera accordingly, as flat as possible then increase contrast in RAW to suit.

I didn't need any when I was up there though and the shots came out nicely as long as you watch the angles you are shooting from.

Also you saw mmy house from up there =)

_MG_6192_INTRO.jpg

Associate
OP
mrk said:
PFs can help but you need to preset the camera accordingly, as flat as possible then increase contrast in RAW to suit.
Kinda tricky with my trusty S3000 :)

Also where is that picture taken from to be on eye level with the tower?

Soldato
Neil K said:
Oh yeah, I forgot you got a polarising filter. Also do OcUK sell polarising filters? Otherwise it surely doesn't count as competitors if there is nothing to compete with.

OcUK sells cameras. A place that sells filters will most likely sell cameras also. Therefore they are likely to be a competitor. :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Neil K said:
Kinda tricky with my trusty S3000 :)

Also where is that picture taken from to be on eye level with the tower?

It's actually several hundred feet higher than the tower :) - IFOS 2005 we were flown around by the royal navy on sea king roflcopters hanging our legs off the side door shooting the scenery =)

Back
Top Bottom