Ashes thread - England vs Australia * SPOILERS *

Soldato
England got 246-8 in their innings and we've just taken two quick wickets after a rain break from Plunkett, leaving the Aussies on 40-4. :)

Bear in mind the unpredictable D&L method is in operation.

Hussey gone now 63-5. :)

Soldato
It's raining again now and they havent bowled enough overs to constitute an innnings yet :( need 3 more overs before Duckworth Lewis comes into play.

Surely England not going to be robbed of victory here.....

edit: 20 overs gone now so no escaping from the Aussies by the weather :)

Last edited:
Associate
Ahh..simply beautiful England. After a horrible Ashes series, a one sided Twenty20, and a dreadful start to the ODI, we finally show some pride and dignity. When we were bowled out for 110 at Adelaide, I think that was the absolute worst for England. We had absolutely no where to go but up. And the man who led the way was Paul Collingwood. What an amazing turnaround he has done for himself and the whole team. Moreover, we actually look like a professional cricket team, and more than that, a serious chance for the World Cup. With the possibility of Peitersen and Anderson to come back into the side, we have a strong line-up.

We managed to get Australia on the back foot, but more importantly is that we didn't let up. We simply outplayed them. Well done boys! :D

Soldato
from the day this thread began we finally have something to smile about! absolutely amazing turnaround. Colly, Freddie, Dalrymples catch was amazing. Its worth noting that all this was done without Kevin Pietersen! Well done England

Caporegime
Well well well what a miracle that was, England beating the Aussies twice in a row to hand them their first series defeat on their grounds in 14 yrs:eek:.

Have to say well done to England for out-playing the Aussies. Was very shocked to see the Aussies collapse like that, seems like they played like England whereas the Poms played like the Aussies. Anyways well done though, im sure this will give them some much needed confidence before the World Cup starts.

Does this mean England will win the World Cup now??:p:p..Also will there be another MBE/OBE ceremony for this series victory like the last time when England won the Ashes??:p

Last edited:
Associate
i must say it was very nice to see england finally win something at the end of a tough tour. It just shows what ODI hundreds can do and applying pressure on opponents.
My only concern for this england side is that we have a lot of nurdlers, collingwood in particular, who on big australian ground can place the balls in gaps and scamper for 2, where as the west indian grounds will be small, so big hitting will be a bigger factor and 2's will be harder to find.
but lets not worry about thaht for the moment lets ennjoy the win and look forward to the world cup and KP's return

Associate
well done, full credit to you guys, no doubt the mbe's will be out.

dont be too sure about the world cup though just yet.

Soldato
Oh i'm under no illusions that beating the Aussies a couple of times (after being caned about 10 times beforehand on tour) makes us big contenders for the world cup, we've got a chance if we can get there with the key players 100% but I wouldn't put us in the top 4 contenders.

We've only really got KP and Flintoff who can hit a 6 regularly and if they don't fire we've got no one who can push the run rate, all bar one of our victory's at the end of this competition was with us batting first we'd have no chance if Australia or someone posted a score of 300 in the first innings.

Anyway the players all have MBE's now so they wouldn't want another one ;) I'm sure we've got the World Cup winners tour bus painted and engine running though :p

Soldato
It is quite amusing to see Australia get spanked so hard.

Having said that, the best teams in the world at any sport usually raise their game after heavy defeats so if they could get better than their form of the last 6 months, they probably will.

Back
Top Bottom