1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspire X-Qpack front temp sensor help

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by Jay1986, 7 Jul 2006.

1. Jay1986

Associate

Just build my Aspire X-Qpack and I have not yet figured out how to connect up the front temp display. I have got the temp sensor on the CPU fine. Is it the VCC wire that goes along with the USB?

2. WJA96

Capodecina

No.

The only thing you need to connect for the front panel LCD to work is the pass-through power connector at the front of the case.

If you have no temperature, or it constantly says 99 then there is a fault in the temperature probe or the display.

3. Jay1986

Associate

Found the power lead and plugged it in, the screen is on now, but it just says H? Any ideas?

4. Jay1986

Associate

Found the power cable and plugged it in. The display just says H though. The probe I put between the CPU and the heatsink. Is this right? Sorry for double reply btw.

5. Deathwish

Mobster

Er, between the CPU and the Heatsink is a bad idea, you will get very high temps as there wont be good contact between the heatsink and the CPU.

Suggest you remove it from there and put it somewhere else, for example on mine I have jammed the sensor between two of the fins on the heatsink.

6. Jay1986

Associate

Ahhh you have just answered my prayers. My processor is running at 50 idle and around 60 under load, this must be the problem. Could you explain in more detail where to put the sensor then, I'm not sure I fully understand. How do you get a reading of processor temp without putting the sensor on the processor?

7. Deathwish

Mobster

It's never going to be 100% accurate, but place the sensor somewhere in the heatsink thats closest to the CPU Core. I have a Zalman heatsink so I have put the sensor between two of the fins on the heatsink, it reads about 5Deg off the actual temp.

Some pictures of my X-QPack: http://www.fwibble.org/gal/view_gallery.php?gallery=newpc