AsRock A300 Deskmini

Associate
Can anyone recommend suitable ram for this? I want 2x8gb sticks, as inexpensive as possible, I’m building one mostly for internet/facebook/email. Also can I use a 3400g without updating the bios? I also want it to be as quiet as possible so I am considering getting a Noctua L9a and probably adding 256gb NVME drive, do you think this will be a decent set up for undemanding use?

Associate
Thanks, I will be going with 16GB, is it better to get 2x8gb or 1x16gb, I’m not too worried about speed, I’m really looking for the cheapest that will work.

Associate
I've just got one of these, I'm going to be using a 2200G on it, but mine does have a big "ryzen 3000 desktop ready" sticker on it. So it seems that some at least will come with an updated BIOS

Associate
I will be putting mine together this weekend, along with a couple other machines as its part of a rejig. Once its done the desk mini will be going into my bedroom as an HTPC replacing the 2200g ITX system I'm currently using.

Associate
I somehow convinced my work to let me build one of these to be a mini-PC for use in one of the meeting rooms instead of bringing a laptop in and connecting it to a TV.

Total cost came in about £350 and the build only took 30 minutes to plop the CPU in, mount the cooler, put in the RAM and the M.2. 15 minutes on Windows 10 and we were up and running. It is just so small, very impressed. Though the plug for the brick wasn't a UK one.... ordered from a reputable retailer as well.

Soldato
Really tempted to replace my aging desktop PC with one of these.

I know it's potentially a silly question but would one of these with 16GB DDR4, Ryzen 3400 APU be considerably faster than my Q6600, 4GB DDR2 and 8800gtx? Not a heavy gamer at all but enjoy playing some retro stuff.

Associate
Really tempted to replace my aging desktop PC with one of these.

I know it's potentially a silly question but would one of these with 16GB DDR4, Ryzen 3400 APU be considerably faster than my Q6600, 4GB DDR2 and 8800gtx? Not a heavy gamer at all but enjoy playing some retro stuff.
yes, should be easily twice as fast at least across the board

Associate
Thanks.

Another question, is the 3400 available? I know we can't talk competitors but isn't in stock at OCUk and other online retailers have it as pre-order. Assumed it was released? Have I assumed incorrectly?
oh yeah, definitely been released, about a year ago now. Not sure whats going on with stock levels :confused:

Associate
ooo, just a thought that is worth noting, the 3400g comes with a wraith spire cooler, which is too big to fit in the A300. the wraith stealth will fit, but you have to remove the cover ring with the AMD logo on it. The A300 does come with a cooler, that's not amazing so you may have to shop around for a suitable cooler

Back
Top Bottom