AsRock A300 Deskmini

Soldato
Using wild speculation, what do we think the chances of these supporting the future 4000 series APUs is?
I know it's crystal ball stuff, but was thinking of downsizing further into one of these with a 3000G, in the hope of upgrading CPU to a 7nm offering down the line.
You've got to assume Asrock would want to be releasing a new Deskmini model soon, from a sales perspective. Looking at the older Deskmini models, they are pretty decent with support though.

It's near enough the perfect size.

Soldato
You can get a used 2400G which is almost exactly the same just a tad slower and runs slightly hotter but would be cooled very well by the Noctua L9a mentioned above. Used its £75 I think

Yeah might have to go down that route. I'm not quite ready yet to upgrade anyway so might see what developments there are on a new deskmini.

Associate
I'm just about to buy 2 of these to replace a noisy homelab. For years I've ran enterprise kit at home and suffered with the noise and power. With the advance of tech thankfully now the SFF is a viable alternative.

I will be building a pair based on 3400G, 64GB RAM and an M2. They will run vSphere ESXi and be used for my lab work. Probably do an NFS connection back to my NAS for anything sizeable.

Really interested to hear how you got on with this?
I’m looking at doing the same, replacing older power hungry dell kit in my ESXi homelab with two of these. Deciding between these and the Intel NUCs, one downside might be the single LAN port on the ASRock.

Associate
Only just discovered this thread, posted in GD...

I'm thinking of a v light gaming build for my 8 year old, rest would be you tube and school work. Was looking at the A300 + a 3200g, with m.2 wi-fi and RAM coming in at around £250ish (I have SSDs kicking around).

1. Will it work with the 3200g
2. Is that a decent set-up / worth the money?

Thank you

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone noticed and whine when in sleep mode? It seems to be coming from the power brick and motherboard. It's like a siren with the flashing blue light at the front.

Associate
Only just discovered this thread, posted in GD...

I'm thinking of a v light gaming build for my 8 year old, rest would be you tube and school work. Was looking at the A300 + a 3200g, with m.2 wi-fi and RAM coming in at around £250ish (I have SSDs kicking around).

1. Will it work with the 3200g
2. Is that a decent set-up / worth the money?

Thank you

The 3200G will work.
Seems like a fair price, based on current demand and stock levels, what RAM are you getting?

I just built two of these one with a 3200G and the other with a 3400G.

Associate
The 3200G will work.
Seems like a fair price, based on current demand and stock levels, what RAM are you getting?

I just built two of these one with a 3200G and the other with a 3400G.

Thanks. I couldn’t get the 3200g, so I went with a second hand 2200g for £40.

RAM I wasn’t sure of, never used laptop ram before, so bought some 2666 crucial using their compatibility checker.

All in all it’s cost £220. When stock levels return and prices settle I may upgrade to the 3200g.

Associate
I am just getting back into PC gaming and quite like the idea of having a mini case.

In terms of the games, I would play they are not going to be graphic intensive mainly CSGO and Age of Empires 2 DE.

Will this be more expensive than going for a M-atx build?

If this question should be in the "New to PC gaming & upgrade advice". Please let me know.

Associate
I am just getting back into PC gaming and quite like the idea of having a mini case.

In terms of the games, I would play they are not going to be graphic intensive mainly CSGO and Age of Empires 2 DE.

Will this be more expensive than going for a M-atx build?

If this question should be in the "New to PC gaming & upgrade advice". Please let me know.
It will be cheaper than a M-atx build as the A300 combines the cost of a case, motherboard, power supply, and cooler into its price. All you add are the CPU, storage, laptop RAM. People have done it for £220, but you can go up to £350.

Unfortunately the price of the A300 has gone up bu about £35 at the moment, due to demand most likely, its £165 instead of £130.

A 2400G or a 3400G would be more than capable of light gaming.

Soldato
Can I confirm this doesn't come with WiFi out of the box? If so what are the options, I read you can add an M2 WiFi card but where do the antenna attach?

Soldato
Think I found the sockets for the WiFi antennas

41G9LKPESsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom