Assange to go!

Capodecina
Soldato
The US government has appealed a UK judge’s ruling against the extradition of the WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange, according to a justice department official.

The appeal made clear that Joe Biden intends to have Assange stand trial on espionage- and hacking-related charges over WikiLeaks’ publication of hundreds of thousands of US military and diplomatic documents. (LINK)
An absolutely perfect opportunity for Boris to persuade Joe Biden that he was never all that keen on Trump after all.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Don't we normally condemn countries that imprison the opposition, etc?

This really isn't very different. Just another example of how we condemn other countries whilst getting away with applying a thin veneer over our own, very similar activities.

This from the same country that brought the world Guantanamo Bay. Would love to know how many people who are pro-extradition are also pro detention without trial, etc. Oh wait, we condemn China for doing that, don't we? Again, I guess it's different when they do it.

Looking forward to this future more authoritarian society, where whistleblowing is a capital offense, and we all rat on our neighbours for not saluting the flag. Off to the gulag with you.

Soldato
It's always felt to me that history will look much more kindly on Assange than those that imprisoned him. Really bad mistake on the US's part to be pursuing him, rather than working on transparency and honesty in their government institutions. I guess legally the UK's hands may be tied, but I still regret the part we've played in this.

As for him being a 'rape-boy' that is not really relevant to the current extradition, but should be remembered he's not ever been convicted, and it was rather convenient timing that the allegations surfaced...

Caporegime
It's always felt to me that history will look much more kindly on Assange than those that imprisoned him. Really bad mistake on the US's part to be pursuing him, rather than working on transparency and honesty in their government institutions. I guess legally the UK's hands may be tied, but I still regret the part we've played in this.

As for him being a 'rape-boy' that is not really relevant to the current extradition, but should be remembered he's not ever been convicted, and it was rather convenient timing that the allegations surfaced...
I'm actually assuming the future will be a lot more authoritarian than today. I think to some extent that will be a function of the increasing world population, but also of technology enabling us to keep much closer tabs on people. But also as voters a lot of us actually seem to be happy to give away our freedoms in the name of "security", and I think most governments are more than happy to play along.

So yeah, maybe Assange is one of a dying breed, and the future will be much more USSR/East Germany, if we let it.

Soldato
If CNN says he's guilty despite it being another hitjob and the charges being dropped, then Sankari "Evangelion" wants to see the rope

Caporegime
If CNN says he's guilty despite it being another hitjob and the charges being dropped, then Sankari "Evangelion" wants to see the rope

I don't watch CNN, I want Assange to face a fair trial, and I don't want him executed (he's done nothing to deserve that). Anything else I can help you with?

He has an inexplicably Large Hadron Collider for Assange. I'm not sure why, but it seems very personal to him.

I was a strong supporter of Assange until he compromised his principles. He's done some great stuff, and nobody can take that away from him. But the Assange of today is not the heroic Assange of the past.

Soldato
I was a strong supporter of Assange until he compromised his principles. He's done some great stuff, and nobody can take that away from him. But the Assange of today is not the heroic Assange of the past.

We know this translates to why did Assange release Hillary's emails and not Trump's, just assuming that they had anything on him to begin with.

Also isn't it a known fact that Trump has been a technophobe throughout his life and probably hasn't even sent an email

Commissario
Trump is no "technophobe" he just doesn't like leaving a paper trail, ever, even when legally required, and is of the mental attitude that using a computer is for someone lower than he*.
The White House archivists had to tape together papers that were legally required to go into the official archives as regardless of what they were he'd tear them up, at least until he got rid of them.

Remember Trump had zero issues with using his mobile, his insecure personal mobile that was almost certainly being tracked by every foreign power out there to do official businesses but had the advantage that it's contents were not in the "official record".

*The sort of attitude that used to be common in the worst sort of upper management in the 90's and early 00's where it was a "power" thing to refuse to use them as you had minions to do that (I mean it's possible he couldn't operate one, it requires a little more functioning brain than to post a message on twitter a hundred times a day).

Caporegime
Assange just lost his latest appeal. Now he's trying for 'millionth time lucky.'

Julian Assange's legal team has confirmed it has made a last-ditch attempt to try to stop the Wikileaks founder being extradited to the US on espionage charges after a UK judge this week rejected a previous appeal.

The 51-year-old faces a maximum prison term of 175 years if found guilty on all 18 charges filed by the US Department of Justice over Wikileaks' publication of thousands of classified US military and diplomatic files.

Assange has until Tuesday to launch a second appeal, which will be dealt with by a panel of two judges with a public hearing.

Never forget that this is the same guy who offered leaked and stolen information to the 2016 Trump campaign in exchange for an ambassadorship, encouraged Trump to claim the election was rigged against him, and asked Don Jr. to leak his own father's tax returns so Wikileaks could publish them in an attempt to pretend they were not biased in Trump's favour.

The messages show WikiLeaks, a radical transparency organization that the American intelligence community believes was chosen by the Russian government to disseminate the information it had hacked, actively soliciting Trump Jr.’s cooperation.

WikiLeaks made a series of increasingly bold requests, including asking for Trump’s tax returns, urging the Trump campaign on Election Day to reject the results of the election as rigged, and requesting that the president-elect tell Australia to appoint Julian Assange ambassador to the United States.

Back
Top Bottom