Assaulted

Associate
A guy I went to school with got beaten up outside a nightclub, got his eye socket broken.

He got a couple thousand from the criminal injuries compensation scheme, worth having a look as you will get something even if the scumbag is a looser with no money.

Man of Honour
Awful storey, my sincerest sympathies and I hope you make a swift recovery.

As for 'no reason', I once witnessed a group of men beat and kick a man and his girlfriend on the street (yes, punch the girl in the face) because they caught their eye on Park Street in Bristol. It was insane and very disturbing.

Associate
Maybe I'm just jaded but I really don'lt buy the whoe "no reason" thing...

It happens. Someone I knew was attacked in a very similar case. He was walking home late when he was jumped by 2 guys. One held his arms and the other accused him of sleeping with his wife and punched him. His cheekbones were broken and his nose pushed back into his sinuses. He had surgery to rebuild it but was left with permanent breathing problems. The police caught the people who did it who were actually 16-17, not married and had escaped from a young offenders unit and just wanted to attack someone.

Soldato
It happens. Someone I knew was attacked in a very similar case. He was walking home late when he was jumped by 2 guys. One held his arms and the other accused him of sleeping with his wife and punched him. His cheekbones were broken and his nose pushed back into his sinuses. He had surgery to rebuild it but was left with permanent breathing problems. The police caught the people who did it who were actually 16-17, not married and had escaped from a young offenders unit and just wanted to attack someone.

:(

Man of Honour
I will have to confirm it but I think depending on the outcome of my injuries is whether they charge with ABH / GBH. I'm not sure on the difference. I will check on Wednesday as I have to go to an ID parade.

That's what the delay will be but 3 months seems a long time.

A broken nose can sometimes be ABH but if a cheekbone is broken along with damage to an eyesocket that will either be a Section 20 or Section 18 which is GBH and GBH with intent respectively.

The CPS will not charge for either without medical evidence and such the CPS have the charging remit for a 47, a 20 and an 18. Police cannot charge with any of them without CPS authority.

My advice to you is two fold. Firstly, ignore the ZOMG sue the cops brigade and have some faith in them for now and secondly, I would ask for this thread to be closed pending the outcome as it is an ongoing criminal case.

Tis only my advice but I wish you well and wish you a speedy recovery and a satisfactory outcome.

Last edited:
Soldato

you must live in a nice area. ive been punched for no reason before, no injuries like. my cousin was attacked in a pub toilet for no reason, left with very severe eye injuries, lad who hit him was wearing large gold rings on every finger.

some bloke was killed just a few weeks ago near where i live after being hit for no reason. 1 punch, head hits the pavement, game over.:(

Permabanned

I buy it as I have seen it happen.

2 women, I would say about late 20's early 30's walking down a high street about 5:30.

I was in a car and the traffic was heavy so we were moving slow, a drunken couple came out of a pub and were arguing.

The woman stormed off leaving the guy, crossed the road and was walking towards the 2 women I mentioned earlier.

She then started punching one of the women, just like that.

It happens, crap state of affairs.

Soldato
Perhaps VonSmalls can confirm/deny this for us, but I seem to remember something about 3 strikes = mandatory life sentence for violent offences like ABH.

If this is the case all the more reason to make sure this guy gets prosecuted - he sounds like the kind of idiot who may be one or more strikes down already and could be taken off the streets for quite some time.

Associate
Sorry but WHAT? The guy assulted you publically, regardless of 'medical evidence'!! Sue the police!

TO the OP, sorry to hear about your assault. Hope everything goes ok with the treatment.

To Nero120, bailing them for medical evidence is standard practice. As someone else has stated you can only someone for 24 hours (for normal offences) before you either have to charge them, and either bail them to appear at court at a later date / keep them in custody and put them before the next available court if the matter is serious (with a view to getting them remanded in custody) OR you bail them for further enquiries.

There are probably quite a few statements to take from witnesses as well, so this will give them time to do it.

The CID Officers dealing with the case are Police Officers not Doctors. For the sake of a far stronger case they have bailed the Offender to seek expert medical opinion and obtain statements from them.

The long term physical problems are not known. Hopefully the OP will make a full recovery, but there could be nerve damage, blurred vision and countless other problems associated with a serious head injury.

The physical injuries are often just part of the problem too, since many victims of assault are traumatised, they shun the places they used to go to, their friends, their family and it can often devastate their lives. It can take far longer to heal the mental scars than the physical ones.

If the OP is still reading this please take advantage of the Victim Support Service that I hope you have been offered - they're excellent people and often have been victims of similar sorts of crimes - they can help.

Secondly ensure that at some point you make enquiries to obtain a CICA claim form. An article as to what they do can be found here:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Injuries_Compensation_Authority

Their official website is here:-

http://www.cica.gov.uk/

You can apply straight away, but they regularly do not settle until the case has been dealt with at Court (since they need to know what charges have been brought and the results).

Soldato
You can count on the fact that had you smacked him one back, the Police would be more interested in you and what you had done wrong.

Too many times I've seen this happens now. Its almost impossible to go out in cities or big towns these days without either seeing someone fighting or someone coming at you for no reason.

Some people need to learn how to control their drinking :/

xrs

xrs

Associate
I reckon medieval society got it right. These types of people should be tortured, like attached to a block in a busy highstreet, naked, and have people throw tomatoes at them. Modern culture is just too soft on these types of scumbags.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the OP is still reading this please take advantage of the Victim Support Service that I hope you have been offered - they're excellent people and often have been victims of similar sorts of crimes - they can help.

Secondly ensure that at some point you make enquiries to obtain a CICA claim form. An article as to what they do can be found here:-

Thanks for the advice. A solicitor is going to contact me later today regarding a claim. I may be able to claim a substantial amount of money. At the moment though I just want to get better.

Back
Top Bottom