Astra

Soldato
Valo said:
As an owner of an Astra SXi sports hatch, must say your off your rocker Tupac when you say you prefer a corsa!
I find the driving position is great, seats are comfortable and supportive. Engine makes a good noise and gearbox is fine.

The only thing I'll agree with you on Tupac is the rear window, however it's a well documented fact and you just get used to it after a while!

Totally agree and i have the sri 1.8 version and ye rear window is rather for looking at the sky behind than the car behind you hehe,miles better than the corsa i used to have :p

Soldato
Tupac said:
Rear window is too small to make out whats going on around me whilst reversing.

To me, the windows on the new corsas (and even more so on the Clios) are HUGE, and visiblity is really good.

Its a surprise how people still bump into stuff when you can see everything even your neighbours pubes out of the windows ffs

Caporegime
Oblivious said:
Sorry, that was an IRC comment which was obviously lost on you.
Its not an IRC comment, its a useless semi-racial comment that was made "funny" by a completely useless "comedian". You then proceded to use it in a completely out-of-context way.

Permabanned
paradigm said:
Its not an IRC comment, its a useless semi-racial comment that was made "funny" by a completely useless "comedian". You then proceded to use it in a completely out-of-context way.

Yes and no.

It was made on IRC a few min ago, and posted as an "in" joke.

Soldato
paradigm said:

Racial? what?
No personal attacks. You should know this by now! FF.

Suspended
The new Astra is a horrendous car :(.

It's incredibly cheap inside, the seats, as with all Vauxhall seats these days, poke in to your back at just the right place to cause excruciating pain after ten minutes and the seating position is odd. You seem to be pointing towards the sky at 45° and no amount of fiddling with the seats sorts it out.

Give me a Focus any day.

Associate
Tupac said:
Interior is just too grey, I feel lost with all these buttons.
Rear window is too small to make out whats going on around me whilst reversing.
Driving position, just can't get used to it, the seats feel harder than the ones in my C
Gear stick, too used to the one in my C
Dash, I don't know when i'm speeding and when i'm not. I have to pay more attention lol.
Interior: It is very similar to the Corsa. Just as grey and black in all areas.
Driving position: Found it as good as my Corsa (though I had to pay extra for a tilt-adjustable steering column, which does help a lot)
Gear stick: The gear stick used on the Corsa C is a short-shift gear stick. It is different and very good compared to many cars, however, you can't be serious about complaining about a gear stick on another car because you are use to the one on a Corsa.
Dash: It is far better laid out (and built) than the Corsa, that is a fact.

The only thing I hate about the Astra is the huge dependency on using electronic to control everything. Need air con? Press the button and wait for the electronics to think, kick in and switch it on. If it doesn't switch on, time to visit the dealer again (as oppose to the Corsa where the button is directly linked to the air con).

Soldato
Nozzer said:
The new Astra is a horrendous car :(.

It's incredibly cheap inside, the seats, as with all Vauxhall seats these days, poke in to your back at just the right place to cause excruciating pain after ten minutes and the seating position is odd. You seem to be pointing towards the sky at 45° and no amount of fiddling with the seats sorts it out.

Give me a Focus any day.

LOL, depending on the model, you can tilt the front seat, the control is under the seat on the left, most people think it's the slide mechanism.. I've had a few as hire cars, and quite a few times, they are tilited back... most weird..

I've done 400 mile eound trips in the new Focus and new Astra, and I like the seating position in both.. and interior wise, there is nothing in it, all the controls/door furnishings/cubbies/dashbaords are all high quality.. no rattles either, I normally have a look when I get something new to rag for the day, and have been very impressed with the Astra and Focus, to say one is totally crap with a cheap interior compared to a focus sounds too much like predjudice clouding your eyes.. or your inability to use a seat meant you could only stare up at the roof lining, and you are comparing that.. ;)

Last edited:
Permabanned
tzang said:
The only thing I hate about the Astra is the huge dependency on using electronic to control everything. Need air con? Press the button and wait for the electronics to think, kick in and switch it on. If it doesn't switch on, time to visit the dealer again (as oppose to the Corsa where the button is directly linked to the air con).

Try talking with your mouth, rather than your nethermost.

Suspended
Demon said:
LOL, depending on the model, you can tilt the front seat, the control is under the seat on the left, most people think it's the slide mechanism.. I've had a few as hire cars, and quite a few times, they are tilited back... most weird..
I fiddled with every seat position button/lever I could find. It's as if they've tried to give you a 'sporty' driving position to go with the 'sporty' alloys and that useless 'Sport' button in the cabin.

It was an SXi, I drove, by the way.

Caporegime
I've always found Vauxhall seats to have these pain giving properties.

Vectra - old shape
Astra - old and new
Corsa - all of them

Its like they have covered rocks in cloth, some of the worst seats i have ever parked my rear in.

Soldato
Nozzer said:
I fiddled with every seat position button/lever I could find. It's as if they've tried to give you a 'sporty' driving position to go with the 'sporty' alloys and that useless 'Sport' button in the cabin.

It was an SXi, I drove, by the way.

That sport button is a bit of laugh.. they fit it to loads of models, when all it does is tweak the power steering and throttle reponse, and the traction control.. you can 'feel' a difference, but I'd agree, it doesn't seem to do much..

In mine however, it stiffens the suspension (and puts the active dynamic control into a much more agressive mode), weights up the steering fractionally, gives me 45BHP More, relaxes the traction control, and 'sharpens' the throttle response (not a good thing in my book)... shame it's an MPV..

The seat inclination adjustment is not obvious, and in fact allows you to tilt the seat downwards.. then there is lumbar on some seats, as well as recline.. probably too much adjustment..

They are however, 'firm' and this I know won't suit everyone.. but then the Focus Zetec / Titanium also have the same firm seats.. now french cars, those have almost armchair softness..

Back
Top Bottom