Astra

Man of Honour
Tupac said:
They put down a £1250 deposit, are there any monthly payments? If so how much?

AFAIK, no. It just replaces your disability allowance.

It's intended to provide disabled people with some mobility - IMHO a valid and commendable scheme. But the fact you can pick all sorts of actually pretty good cars is a farce IMHO, you should get a car which will transport you around and nothing more, if you want a posh 18" wheel fitted sporthatch buy your own.

All IMHO, obviously :)

Soldato
OP
I do agree the system is wrong, but what can be done? Dishing out spartan cars would be the best plan instead of these luxury BMW's and Hot Hatches...

Btw is it a government run scheme? If so that will explain it :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:

It's intended to provide disabled people with some mobility - IMHO a valid and commendable scheme. But the fact you can pick all sorts of actually pretty good cars is a farce IMHO, you should get a car which will transport you around and nothing more, if you want a posh 18" wheel fitted sporthatch buy your own.

A few years ago a travelling salesman remarked that Brynamman was very prosperous for a small ex-mining village in South Wales. Until it was pointed out to him just how many silver Vauxhalls there were and that 80% of them are motability cars.

I share your opinions Fox, FWIW.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

I would have to agree, they should be told that they can have a car of up to a certain value, then after that they can pay for it out of their own pocket. So the ones that was 18" alloys have to pay for it, not the scheme. Seems wrong that you can just pay £1250 on some alloys and it still be classed as a nesesity.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
The way Motability works is fantastic!

It's just a subsidised lease scheme at the end of the day,.

So there is nothing stopping the motability entitlee just taking the money and buying a car on HP.

With Motability you are actually very restricted to what cars you can get without it actually costing you any money.

Any half decent car and they need a hefty deposit - Which the individual must pay.

Tupac - You will find that less than 1% of motability customers drive a Luxury BMW, simply because the deposit required to get one would cost in excess of £5-6000 which the customer has to pay out of they're own pocket should they want one.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
saitrix said:
I would have to agree, they should be told that they can have a car of up to a certain value, then after that they can pay for it out of their own pocket. So the ones that was 18" alloys have to pay for it, not the scheme. Seems wrong that you can just pay £1250 on some alloys and it still be classed as a nesesity.

But they DO!

Hence why Dougsnake had to pay £1250.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
Tupac said:
Back to the Astra, as I turned the steering wheel either way, it would make a soft clicking noise, like when you turn a switch, is this normal or was the car knackered?

Ermm indicator canceller

Is that not obvious?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
How did you manage to own a Corsa AND not be put off any more Vauxhall products for life? :p

Nowt wrong with vauxhall products :p

Tupac showed me pics of his astra he used and i agree on the 3dr sport hatch the small rear window is a nuisance, lucky i got the 5dr.

each to their own opinion but Fox. you make it sound as if all VX products are cack, when as far as im concerned your wrong. i haven't had a single problem with my astra and love it, its down the personal preference at the end of the day.

I learnt to drive in a new Fiesta and thought personally it was terrible.

The gear box was horrible the interior was tacky and plasticky it could hardly go anywhere.

Same goes foy my aunts mondeo that i've driven.

I would never own a ford tbh with you as i think simply put they are terrible. as you think Vauxhall's

That'll do for the minute

awaits firery reply post of doom :p

Man of Honour
Price changes degrees of terribleness. For example, at £14,000, a 1.6 Astra is perhaps one of the worst cars on the planet.

But in 3 years time when its worth £3k, it'll be a pretty decent car for the money.

Ditto Mondeos. Was my Mondeo worth £20,000? Hell no. Is it worth less than £2.5k? Yup, damn good for the money..

Maz

Maz

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Price changes degrees of terribleness. For example, at £14,000, a 1.6 Astra is perhaps one of the worst cars on the planet.

But in 3 years time when its worth £3k, it'll be a pretty decent car for the money.

Ditto Mondeos. Was my Mondeo worth £20,000? Hell no. Is it worth less than £2.5k? Yup, damn good for the money..

You can't buy a 3 year old Astra for £3k

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

I agree. When i was on disability, i had a 1 litre Hyundai Amica. A dreadfull car now i look back but at the time, it was MORE than enough to get me from A to B - it actually helped me get a job, to which then i got my own car after motability. With it only being a 1 litre too, it taught me how to drive properly :)

Soldato
My dad had a couple of brand new astra sxi's and he said it was an average car and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. No power, no grunt, nothing.

They then gave him a sri which was a decent improvement but not a fast sports car.

I don't like vauxhalls and the corsa 1.2 SXi I had the pleasure of driving was pants. For performance and for handling. Well it didn't do either. :eek:

I would rather own a Ford than a Vauxhall because Ford have a decent set of hot hatches.

The diesils are not slouches and they are generally reliable and handle well.

The 2d orange display they put in vauxhalls needs removing. It's tacky and suffers from screen burn haha:D

Last edited:

Maz

Maz

Soldato
digitalwolf said:
My dad had a couple of brand new astra sxi's and he said it was an average car and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. No power, no grunt, nothing.

They then gave him a sri which was a decent improvement but not a fast sports car.

I don't like vauxhalls and the corsa 1.2 SXi I had the pleasure of driving was pants. For performance and for handling. Well it didn't do either. :eek:

I would rather own a Ford than a Vauxhall because Ford have a decent set of hot hatches.

The diesils are not slouches and they are generally reliable and handle well.

The 2d orange display they put in vauxhalls needs removing. It's tacky and suffers from screen burn haha:D

The Astra SRi is not Sports car by any means of imagination!

It's merely a "Sporty" hatchback.

When comparing Corsa to Fiesta I'd have a Corsa,

When comparing Astra to Focus I'd have a Focus.

Back
Top Bottom