Astra

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Sorry but this is totally false. The air conditioning in your Corsa will work exactly the same way. It is not a mechanical link, it is simply an electronic switch. It's how ALL air conditioning systems operate. You press a button, which is an electronic switch. This then engages the system.
I think you and Oblivious missed the point I was making or maybe I wasn't making it clear (the latter being more likely since I've just re-read my post and noticed that the word electronic is wrongly used :)). The Corsa's switch is an on/off switch that holds into place for either on or off and is linked directly to the air con. The Astra's switch is like all Astra switches and components, computerised and controlled by the BCU where if that breaks, the whole system breaks, as I have found on many occasions (VX onboard computer and electrics in general are crap). The BCU decides whether to turn the unit on or off after you pressed the button, you don't decide.

Switches that are similar to this on the Corsa would be the fog lights although the headlight system, which although it looks like it is linked directly to the switch, is actually linked to this crap BCU. Other than that, all other switches are operated on a push in place for "on", push it again to pop it out for "off" and the function you want will activate instantly. And if you question my knowledge, I would know since I've had my BCU reprogrammed about 4 times and replaced once on my Corsa as the dealer kept screwing up the programming :p

Maz said:
When comparing Corsa to Fiesta I'd have a Corsa
You must be on drugs to say that here... as a Corsa owner, I regret not getting the Fiesta as I was tempted away by those crummy dealer deals which resulted in the Corsa. The Fiesta is a better car in every way. I wonder what people would say when I spend £13k or so on a new 207 in the near future :o

Last edited:

Maz

Maz

Soldato
tzang said:
You must be on drugs to say that here... as a Corsa owner, I regret not getting the Fiesta as I was tempted away by those crummy dealer deals which resulted in the Corsa. The Fiesta is a better car in every way. I wonder what people would say when I spend £13k or so on a new 207 in the near future :o

Oh thanks for that I must be on drugs :rolleyes:

I've driven every single car in this market - It helps me do my job better.

Of course I would recommend that anyone looking to buy a car in this sector goes out and buys a Fiat Grande Punto but I am ever slo slightly biased.

Associate
Maz said:
Oh thanks for that I must be on drugs
On this forum, yes. Every knows only I could say that as I bought one for 11.5k :D

Maz said:
Of course I would recommend that anyone looking to buy a car in this sector goes out and buys a Fiat Grande Punto but I am ever slo slightly biased.
You know Fiat sucks, honestly :p

Maz

Maz

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Actually the Grande Punto appears to be pretty good.

I'm pretty suprised you said that.

In fairness being biased aside, the Grande Punto is an absolutely fabulous car.

With over 6000 sales in the UK in March alone it's proving to be very popular.

It's also the fastest selling car in western europe.

The range has been lacking a Petrol model with decent performance, hopefully the new 1.4 16v model should fill that gap until they realise the 1.6 Turbo monster that they have promised.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Actually the Grande Punto appears to be pretty good.

Something to do with the engine? We had a hire car in spain which was one of these. It was a little desiel and it went like the clappers! :eek: Not a bad car at all. Shame the build quality was complete carp. :rolleyes: (let me here you say fiat!)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Could you possible run the reason why taxpayers should subsidise the cost of a Sports hatchback with 18 inch wheels past me again, please? I'm not really seeing it at the moment.

wow your actually pee`d off bacause of this?? and to set the record straight i didnt pay £1250 just for the alloys i had to pay for the auto gearbox (legs are buggered so carnt use manual) and the 18" alloys were an optional £200.
And the car also costs £160 per month on top of that.(standard mobility monthly rate)

Gimme a healthy body and they can take the car back tomoro..........

Dont want sympathey but certainly didnt expect such a comment from a well known ocuk member.

Man of Honour
Dougsnake said:
Dont want sympathey but certainly didnt expect such a comment from a well known ocuk member.

I will never understand why its considered taboo to criticise government welfare policy. Like I said, I've absolutely no problems with Motability as a concept and think its great, but you don't need 18" wheels (You paid £200, sure, but 18" wheels cost more than that really) and a Sporthatch. If you want that, buy your own like everyone else has to - Motability should provide basic transportation and nothing more.

FWIW, I'm not criticising you - if I was in your position I'd do exactly the same thing. The scheme is there, so take advantage of you. It's the governments policy I dislike :) £160 a month to drive a top end brand new Astra Sporthatch with 18's... bargain.

Soldato
paradigm said:
Not quite, as digitalwolf did mention twisties ;)

This keeps being mentioned lots on this forum.. and I can't for the life of me understand why..

On the Top gear/Fifth gear/EVO tracks, the VXR is over a second quicker...

The VXR has only 12BHP more then the ST, which is bugger all, if you where to be contoversial and say that the VXR handling is only as good as the ST, 12BHP is not enough for a second a lap, so I'd even wager that the VXR grip and ability to get the power down, however 'crude' is better then the ST..

This is real drivers on real tracks...

Caporegime
Demon said:
This keeps being mentioned lots on this forum.. and I can't for the life of me understand why..

On the Top gear/Fifth gear/EVO tracks, the VXR is over a second quicker...

The VXR has only 12BHP more then the ST, which is bugger all, if you where to be contoversial and say that the VXR handling is only as good as the ST, 12BHP is not enough for a second a lap, so I'd even wager that the VXR grip and ability to get the power down, however 'crude' is better then the ST..

This is real drivers on real tracks...

Great, but we were talking about the focus RS not ST.

Soldato
paradigm said:
Great, but we were talking about the focus RS not ST.

Didn't top gear only test the RS though and not the ST? So that would means the VXR is quicker than the RS as said above.

EDIT: Just checked the power board and they did indeed test the ST (can't remember it though) although the VXR isn't on there.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Kroegen said:
The fact is the VXR > Ford RS st whatever.

Its a great car, insane car :D you cant match that.

Did you read the last 4 replies or are you just selectively blind?

The VXR is faster in a straight line than the RS, but not at "whatever" :rolleyes:

RS > VXR any day.

Soldato
paradigm said:
Did you read the last 4 replies or are you just selectively blind?

The VXR is faster in a straight line than the RS, but not at "whatever" :rolleyes:

RS > VXR any day.

Especially when you can upgrade the power on the RS easy enough to make it just as quick down the straight as the VXR.

Back
Top Bottom