• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus 5850 DirectCU 2 slot or 3 slot card?

Soldato
I know it's very stupid.
I'm going to RMA mine, as this is not right.
it's like buying a car that say 500bhp, But it's stuck at 300bhp :D
Why send a card out with this 50% performance stuff when it's not even working.
Asus must have thought, oh bugger it, we will send it out anyway, and sort the software out later.
Not right in my eyes :rolleyes:

My 5850 Cu must be reference then because it would allow me to go all the way up to 1200 in CCC if I wanted, without SmartDoctor installed. Guess it is just the luck of the draw really.

Associate
My 5850 Cu must be reference then because it would allow me to go all the way up to 1200 in CCC if I wanted, without SmartDoctor installed. Guess it is just the luck of the draw really.

Your getting confused, the 5850 directcu CAN get 1200 in CCC, but it can only get upto 900mhz in smartdoctor. While the reference card can get 1200mhz in both CCC & more importantly smartdoctor.

Cheers for the question 1uke & let me hear what u find out. I really want to get these crossfire cards upto what i know they can do, like i said, im stuck at 870mhz or so til i can up the voltage but smartdoctor only raising one of the cards voltage by the looks of it which stops me getting them both to the 1000mhz mark (which i know their both good for as tested them individual).

Soldato
I have found at least 2 or 3 places selling them for around £240 deliverd in stock as I bought one 2 weeks ago. Search a little harder ;) theres also 1 on a well known auction site new buy it now, listed this morning.

The problem with buying from an auction site is the manufacturer warranty doesn't cover purchases from there as far as I'm aware.

Also it's possible to get the new copperpipe version for around the same price so which is better?

Associate
When you say "these cards" are you referring to any asus card or the DirectCU specifically? I can change the volts on my stock asus using MSI AB. If what you say is true, that sucks!

Associate
Your getting confused, the 5850 directcu CAN get 1200 in CCC, but it can only get upto 900mhz in smartdoctor. While the reference card can get 1200mhz in both CCC & more importantly smartdoctor.

Cheers for the question 1uke & let me hear what u find out. I really want to get these crossfire cards upto what i know they can do, like i said, im stuck at 870mhz or so til i can up the voltage but smartdoctor only raising one of the cards voltage by the looks of it which stops me getting them both to the 1000mhz mark (which i know their both good for as tested them individual).

Didn't know till i read this, durr me :p
I tried 950 / 1250 1.2v. seemed ok, but stutters in games.
I thought it would be ok at them volts. maybe need more volts :p
At 850 /1250 on stock right now just playing bfc2.
will work my way up from there.

I they had the Asus reference 5850, i would have got that and the Zalman VF3000-A- Graphics Cooler :p

Last edited:
Associate
When you say "these cards" are you referring to any asus card or the DirectCU specifically? I can change the volts on my stock asus using MSI AB. If what you say is true, that sucks!

You can change reference asus voltage with msiAB but as new card is not reference design the voltage dont work, but the clocks do. So you have to use msi (clocks, as it allows higher than smartdoctor core) + smartdoctor (volts). But unfortunatelky as i have found out, i have a reference & new design and smartdoctor wont allow voltage change to both cards from the looks of it. Like i said, useless software which badly needs fixing.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3293817&postcount=7 Some talking about 2nd gpu going into Ultra low power mode causing the voltage issue.

Last edited:
Associate

Apologies, i am refering to the DirectCU cards - I hope either ASUS offer a bios upgrade to allow higher clocks in smartdoctor, or someone can figure out how to get afterburner working without voiding the warranty.

Associate
OP

Afraid the only responce I received from Jerry at Asus was:

Both of them is synchronized.

If your still having problems I would reccomend emailing Asus customer help as they seem very promt with replys. Might be worth asking if they have tested different versions of there 5850 in crossfire using SmartDoctor...

Associate
Afraid the only responce I received from Jerry at Asus was:

Both of them is synchronized.

If your still having problems I would reccomend emailing Asus customer help as they seem very promt with replys. Might be worth asking if they have tested different versions of there 5850 in crossfire using SmartDoctor...

Whats volts are you using on your Asus 5850 @ 1013/4500 ?

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom