Asus AI Suite has locked me out of PC! No USB

Associate
OP
I had similar issue 2 times, sometime back in 2016 on old ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard but I did not had ASUS AI Suite installed and also a few months ago on AORUS Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard. Mouse was connected to USB port and Microsoft Internet Keyboard was connected to PS/2 port on both motherboards, the issue occurred when I browsed Edge or Chrome then suddenly the mouse cursor vanished from screen and mouse did not moved at all so I thought PC was froze but thankfully keyboard worked fine. Tried restarted PC and lights in mouse wheel gone off when it reached Windows 10 lockscreen, tried plugged in other USB ports and still had same issue, also tried plugged in USB memory stick and it did not detected. I restarted PC into UEFI and USB memory stick was detected fine so I logged in Windows to launched PowerShell to ran SFC /scannow and DISM repair, it detected Windows files corrupted but it would not able to repair successful. So nothing worked so I had to reinstalled Windows 10 then USB mouse finally worked and able to move about. :)

You don't have to do fresh install Windows 10, simple reinstall Windows 10 should fix it like I did if you want to keep all the programs and files.

Yeah the more I look around the more I find terrible stories! Yeah I'll try a re-install first and see if that helps!

Thanks all. I was supposed to be playing Far Cry 5 today but it looks like i'm SOL on that!

Soldato
@AthlonXP1800 How would you go about reinstalling windows? I have Windows on a drive but I'm wondering how to go about loading it up with current keyboard / mouse issues I'm having?

You can either boot USB stick from UEFI or from Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options/Use a device/USB UEFI to install Windows 10. I did either way and it worked just fine. :)

Hope you had prepared Windows 10 USB stick and saved the stick after you installed Windows 10 1709 Fall Creators update.

Associate
OP
You can either boot USB stick from UEFI or from Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options/Use a device/USB UEFI to install Windows 10. I did either way and it worked just fine. :)

Hope you had prepared Windows 10 USB stick and saved the stick after you installed Windows 10 1709 Fall Creators update.

Thanks mate! No I didn't! This day is just the worst.

Soldato
Thanks mate! No I didn't! This day is just the worst.

I just got an idea came up on my mind I never thought about download files from internet on command prompt. I am surprised to find out it is possible to download files from internet on command prompt with a program called curl. So using curl you can download Windows 10 iso file and extract iso file from command prompt then copy files to USB stick.

https://curl.haxx.se/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Oh well.

I just got an idea came up on my mind I never thought about download files from internet on command prompt. I am surprised to find out it is possible to download files from internet on command prompt with a program called curl.

https://curl.haxx.se/

That's way above my tiny mind mate! This is my first Windows PC for 12years. I'm too Applified for all that command line sorcery!

Soldato
Soldato
You can try using Remote Desktop from your phone to access the computer. The app for iOS is here.

Otherwise I think you're going to need to get hold of the Windows 10 installation media to try and repair the install. Your computer should have come with Windows 10 on a USB stick or have a recovery partition built in. If you don't have that you can create one yourself but obviously you need a working computer to do that...

Man of Honour
One of the f keys on startup should allow you into recovery. button bash f10/f11/f12 on boot?

F keys don't work apparently "Windows 10 boots too fast to respond to a key press" (which is just BS anyhow) MS like everything else with Windows 10 have done a pants on head job with the oft useful safemode and the only way to trigger it is a very unreliable 3x boot interruption as someone mentioned earlier, booting into the OS and restarting holding down shift (which is just LOL as half the time you need to use safemode to recover precisely because you can't get to that point) or using bootable recovery media - which isn't very helpful if you are say using a laptop while travelling, etc. and might not have such a device to hand.

The only way the OP is going to get anywhere here is with bootable recovery media anyhow and hopefully either some kind of restore point (but that is another useful thing MS seem to have messed up in 10 that often isn't available or just fails for no apparent reason) or repair option that doesn't require them reinstalling the whole OS.

I have no idea why people are so complacent towards the incompetence and stupid ideas that MS have approached Windows 10 with.

Soldato
You can force the recovery menu to pop up and then pick safe mode by turning your PC off 3 times on boot and it'll attempt an auto repair.

If your on the latest version of Windows 10 you'll need the beta version of AI Suite as the spectre / meltdown patch broke the release version.

Back
Top Bottom