Asus Monitor blowing fuses while turned off

Associate
Hi all, I have had this monitor for roughly 5 weeks now. Over the past week it the 13A fuse in the plug has blown twice now. It is fine while in use, playing games for long periods of time at 144Mhz but twice this week when I've come to it in the morning to turn on it's been completely dead and I've had to change the fuse.

I almost RMA'd it the first time before I changed the fuse, but once that fixed it I thought it was a one off. Now I don't want to go through the hassle of an RMA if it's not needed but then again, this has happened twice now so it could indicate a problem developing.

When the monitor is off it's still connected from a mini display port on my laptop to a display port on the monitor.

When I power it down I push the power button on the monitor and the power button LED turns off (from blue) compared with if I sleep the laptop it goes orange i.e. also sleeps due to no signal. I normally don't power monitors down, I let them go in to standby but the thing I have noted with this monitor is that if I don't turn it off it periodically turns on and displays 'No signal' and turns off again which is annoying and potentially could be related to blowing fuses?

It's an Asus VG248QE 24" monitor connected to a surge protected 4 gang extension lead, the extension lead has my laptop and a few chargers plugged in and I've had no issues from anything else on it. It must be blowing overnight when there's no load placed on the extension as the laptop is sleeping, monitor is off, etc.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
Get it changed. If it's blowing a 13A fuse, there must be something fairly major wrong with it. It might be a hassle now, but better replace it now than when the warranty runs out.

Soldato
at Surely a monitor should not have a 13amp fuse fitted....:eek:

A 24" monitor is normally somewhere between 40watts to 80watts and a 13amp fuse is rated at about 3120watts

Last edited:
Soldato
I would examine the cable and both ends and swap with another if possible to see if you find anything. Apart from that not a lot you can do aside from requesting a return due to it eating fuses.

Associate
OP
Just to update guys the monitor blew its last fuse yesterday, I changed the fuse for a final time and now all I get from it is a weird noise from the inbuilt speakers (like a degaus noise) when I plug in the power, apart from that it's completely dead and going through an RMA. Thanks for the input everyone, case is closed.

Back
Top Bottom