Asus P8Z68-V not detecting on-board graphics adapter

Associate
I'm trying to get my Asus P8Z68-V motherboard working with a monitor connected to the built-in DVI connector.

It's booting successfully using a PCI-E graphics card attached, but without I'm getting a beepcode (long-short-short-short) and VGA_LED is remaining lit (and BOOT_DEVICE_LED).

The processor is a 2500K (also tried 2600K).

I can't find in the BIOS settings anywhere to enable/disable the igpu, only an option to switch the primary graphics adapter (PCI/PCI-E). I have reset the CMOS via the jumper.

Just hoping that someone can give me some suggestions on what to try.

Soldato
When you have the discrete GPU attached, have you tried installing Windows and see if you can see the Intel IGP on there? Maybe even try a second screen going off it to see if it works?

Associate
OP
When you have the discrete GPU attached, have you tried installing Windows and see if you can see the Intel IGP on there? Maybe even try a second screen going off it to see if it works?

With the graphics card attached, I can boot into Windows but only the discrete graphics shows up in device manager and there is no signal on the motherboard's DVI socket.

Soldato
With the graphics card attached, I can boot into Windows but only the discrete graphics shows up in device manager and there is no signal on the motherboard's DVI socket.

In the BIOS, under Advanced -> System Agent Configuration, make sure IGP Multi-Monitor is enabled. I'm not sure if Render Standby needs to be enabled too, the options are different from my old Gigabyte Z68 board.

Associate
OP
It's within System Agent Configuration that I get the option to select the primary adapter, but only PCI and PCIe are available.

Soldato
Have you tried enabling IGP multi-monitor though? That should be the option that will allow the IGP to be enabled when you have a discrete GPU plugged in, allowing you to see both in device manager.

Associate
OP
I can see in the manual (Section 3.5.2) it shows the following:
System Agent Configuration
Advanced
Initiate Graphic Adapter [iGPU] [PCI/iGPU] [PCI/PCIE] [PCIE/PCI]
iGPU Memory [32M] [64M] [96M] [128M]
Render Standy [Disabled] [Enabled]
iGPU Multi-Monitor [Disabled] [Enabled]

However, I can only see the following:

System Agent Configuration
Advanced
Memory Remap Feature [Disabled] [Enabled]
Graphics Configuration [AUTO] [PCIE] [PCI]

There is simply no mention of iGPU underneath System Agent Configuration.

Associate
OP
Not a major amount of usage, as I tend to use my laptop more for day-to-day stuff. There's not sign of damage to any of the capacitors on the board, which I'd guess is the primary cause of failure.

Associate
OP
Just had opportunity to test the processor on another motherboard, and can confirm that the integrated graphics work fine.

Associate
OP
A quick update on this, as I've finally got the integrated graphics working again after downgrading to an earlier bios version.

I'd tried this before on a couple of occasions, but it seems that I never successfully managed to flash the ME region back to the earlier version (using afudos and bupdater). With an earlier bios, I did get the iGPU options back.

Man of Honour
Hi etmh, i have an exactly same problem as you, and can you write how you manage to get IGP working? In details
This was a long time ago, so etmh probably won't reply. My understanding is that a 'normal' BIOS flash through the manufacturer tools often does not update the ME (a partial flash), so third party tools were used to flash the bios.

Back
Top Bottom