Asus P8Z77-V-Deluxe Ram Overclocking Issue (Cannot Exceed 2200MHz?)

Associate
I recently upgraded my Ram from 8GB of Samsung Green 1600Mhz to 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400mhz. I've been running my Samsung Green ram at 2200mhz default timings since 2012, even though they were capable of 2400mhz at the time I could never get it to boot and so I thought that was the limitation of the modules I had; also I have the latest BIOS installed to date.

However, I'm now having the same issue with the new 16gb modules even though they have an XMP profile which is 2400mhz system will not boot with XMP enabled. To try to narrow down the issue I reset my bios to defaults enabled XMP and still no boot, always getting Error 55 on the mobo, which according to manual means "ram is not installed". So I changed the slots still error 55, I then manually set ram speed to 2200mhz, voltage to 1.65 and set cas timings to the XMP timings and booted fine.

For some reason, it seems I am unable to exceed 2200Mhz with the mobo regardless of loosening cas timings further or changing modules. According to Asus website, this board should be able to hit 3000mhz+ and according to Adata website, these ram modules can go as high as 3100mhz.
After reading online some people saying its due to the memory controller in cpu which means nothing can be done, others say XMP should just "work", but not for me.

To be honest just upgrading from 8gb to 16gb has made gaming at 4k far smoother and more stable. But is annoying that the XPG V2 modules should be running at 2400mhz; if anyone could shed some light on this it would be much appreciated:)

Associate
Try manually setting CPU PLL Voltage. Start with 1.5 or 1.55.
Basically PLL voltage setting determines the voltage fed to the CPU's phase locked loop section. The phase locked loop section generates the clock signals for different parts of the CPU that are clocked at different frequencies. It generates the main core clock, the video clock, the memory controller clock, the bus clocks, and so on.

Associate
OP
At the moment with the CPU PLL voltage set to auto it's currently giving me a reading of 1.816v, will reducing / limiting this to 1.55v affect my CPU overclock?

Associate
You can save your current settings to a profile and use default cpu speed while working on the memory for testing purposes. Once you get memory to work at 2400mhz then you can apply your overclocking profile back and change necessary settings for the memory.

Associate
OP
Ok so tried it anyway, set CPU PLL to 1.55v rebooted ran cinebench seems fine. Rebooted again set ram to 2400mhz and still getting error 55.

Associate
Whats your current VCCSA and VCCIO voltages, also i highly suggest running default cpu speed while working out your memory oc.

Associate
Keep above voltage settings and manually set your memory to what you ve tried before, 2200mhz, 1.65 volts and timings. if that works try with 2400mhz...

Whats your bios version btw?

Associate
Cant think of anything else other then keep above settings and try with slightly higher voltage in VCCSA, try 1.10v or 1.190 ( max safe is 1.20 ) for testing purposes.

Did you also try different slots or single memory only ?

Associate
OP
Increased the VCCSA voltage but still error 55. I have tried other slots but have not tried single module. Will test that tomorrow. Cheers for all the help.

Associate
OP
I haven't tried single dimm yet, maybe this weekend. But I think I'm gonna give up and settle for 2200mhz. I did try re-flashing the bios and running all at default/stock bios settings, but as soon as I enable XMP and reboot I get error 55 and just reboots itself twice and then tells me "Overclocking failed".

Back
Top Bottom