Asus Padfone

Man of Honour
Battery life, always a problem for technology no matter what devices.

Totally agree and love the idea, especially as the price is cheap and isn't really any need for two sets of components as you can't use both at the same time. But I know the way I use mine at the moment I use one while the other is on charge, then when I leave the house, the phone comes of charge and the tab goes on.

Also any news on films/tv programs for android yet, still it's biggest downfall.

Permabanned
@sarge78. Interesting then in that case the battery life should be phone/tablet/notebook/desktop.

@AcidHell2. If the price is right it may be my next all-in-one device. It's a shame Apple never jumped onto this wagon as an iPhone going into an iPad into a tablet would have 100% caught the right market aslong as the prices wasn't too high, something like a Iphone 5 > iPad 2 > Macbook Air products. Nevermind looks like Asus may be doing it right.

Last edited:
Soldato
The phone's screen will use significantly less power than the tablets (although yh in standby it wont last as long). Also this is likely to be one thick and heavy tablet.

Soldato
^ It'll be around 13mm or thinner and probably lighter than the iPad (plastic chassis) depending on how well they've designed it.

This prototype looks clunky compared to the transformer but they've got 6-10 months to refine it.

Soldato
Here's an interesting benchmark... http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=glpro21&D=Asus+Padfone&testgroup=system

It's using a MSM8960 (28nm S4 snapdragon) not Tegra 3.

...and the interesting thing is, they've only clocked it at ~900MHz. :confused: (default clocks are 1.5-1.7GHz)
Krait CPU architecture is about 30% faster than a cortex A9 design, so performance should be similar to a 1.2GHz A9 SoC like Exynos or OMAP4 in the nexus.

Are Asus trying to achieve great battery life over high specs?

Soldato
as this hasn't been updated - the phone is coming out next month and looks awesome :D

really tempted to get it so going to get a real good look before I part my cash, if I do though I'll get the set and let you know how it is.

Wow that looks fantastic! I like the stylus that doubles as the handset although its a shame it doesn't fit anywhere on the tablet :confused:

Soldato
Watched the whole thing. Must admit, the phone port does look a little sloppy compared to something Apple would design. But the rest of the package, wow... after watching that, I'm pretty much sold. (If only I had £600 to £1000 lol). I do wonder if you are likely to scratch the screen inserting/removing the phone.

Bit of a shame that you can't use the tablet without the phone though. That's a serious consideration, as if you you wanted to leave the tablet section at home, someone else in the family couldn't use the tablet.

I do love the styling though, but then again I always loved the TF101 style :)

Soldato
as this hasn't been updated - the phone is coming out next month and looks awesome :D

really tempted to get it so going to get a real good look before I part my cash, if I do though I'll get the set and let you know how it is.

That is incredibly well designed. It's just so niche I feel.

Associate
This is pretty awesome but the phones battery seems a bit lacklustre... like when travelling. Also it could have used a HDMI port on the tablet imo unless they provide a mini-hdmi to hdmi but even then i would have preferred to use the tablet to navigate the TV

Still cant knock innovation, i think the pen is real neat

Soldato
Just realised that the 3G from the phone can probs be used in the tablet so no paying more for extra module and/or seperate data plan, makes me want to have it even more. On the dowside the reception on the wifi wont be as good as a proper tablet

Soldato
Just realised that the 3G from the phone can probs be used in the tablet so no paying more for extra module and/or seperate data plan, makes me want to have it even more. On the dowside the reception on the wifi wont be as good as a proper tablet

Why not? It connects to antenna's in the tablet when you dock it.

Back
Top Bottom