Asus Prime b450 A - failing to post.

Soldato
Just received some new B grade toys a few days ago and I've gotten nowhere with them.

Motherboard is as above but it's failing to post, I suspected the ram I have wouldn't be compatible - 2x 8gb hynix 2133s, but I'm in the market for new sticks anyway.

My concern is now there's an issue with motherboard as I've had zero error beeps when breadboarding. I've had to pull wires out of case connectors due to them not fitting but I've tried the case speaker plugged in every way and failed miserably in getting anything out of it.

Man of Honour
What cpu are you using? If it's a Ryzen 3000 series then it's a good chance that the motherboard will need a bios flash to be compatible. Are you sure that the memory is DDR4 because 2133mhz seems very slow for DDR4? Ryzen loves fast memory and you shouldn't be looking at DDR4 below 3000mhz and ideally in the 3200-3600mhz range.

Soldato
OP
3600 - the mobo box says it's 3000 series ready too.

The memory was from a prebuilt Asus machine that I bought from a guy living in a swamp in the US. It's definitely ddr4, it actually appears it may be server memory when googling it.

Any ideas why I get no buzzer error codes though?

Soldato
Have a look on the board to find a long thin barcode sticker(Maybe on one of the connectors or PCB). There should be a 4 digit number on that something like 0802 1202 etc which relates to the BIOS that was initially on the board when manufactured. Then check against the CPU Support on the Asus Website if that version of the BIOS supports Gen3. It may be a box from a newer board. Does the SN on the board match the box?

Soldato
OP
Sticker says 1607 which is a gen3 bios.

Serial number doesn't match, hopefully that's nothing sinister. Guess I just wait on the ram tomorrow, if that doesn't work then it'll be an RMA hobby unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom