Asus Rampage Extreme iv Error Code AE

Associate
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and can help me out.
I've just received back my mobo after thinking it was faulty, so OCUK kindly offered to take it back and have a look.
All is fine with the mobo, but I can't get it to POST past error code AE.
No output to monitor at all...
Using an EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card.
Everything is all connected. This is the initial problem i had that made me think the mobo was faulty, but obviously not the issue...Any help greatly received!

Chris

Associate
I had the same code and same problem the other day after upgrading to the maximus v formula.

What I did and it worked for me was I booted it up and once I got the AE code I pressed the reset button on the board itself. That may have been a complete fluke in my case but give it a go because it might work. Have you tried clearing CMOS?

Have you tried using the onboard graphics to try and get you into bios? As code AE I beleive is the code for "legacy boot event" so may be worth trying that to have a look at your boot settings/load order.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

I'll try the reset thing.
Have tried clearing CMOS.

For some reason I'm convinced it is a GPU or expansion slot issue, but will check that again tomorrow.
Not sure how I would try the onboard graphics? Just take out GPU and try post?
Not sure how else I would connect to the monitor?

Forgive my naivety - and thanks for the advice.

Associate
OP
Hi all,

I tried the reset thing, but it didn't work for me.

Have tried swapping out GPU's (for my trusty old 9800 GT) but I get the same AE code. Have also tried different PCI-e slots.
I can't test the lead as I don't have any spares. , but because the 9800 GT gives the same error I don't think this is the problem.
I thought it might be the boot device (I have a 264 GB SDD and a 1 tb HDD).
Interesting thing is that if I only connect the HDD, I get error 34 which I now understand means waiting for input, so I think I might have a duff HDD, but can't check this yet.
With both drives connected it runs through POST until this AE error.
I've had the BIOS updated to latest by OCUK when I sent back the mobo.

I think I'm going to give technical support a call in a bit.

Soldato
Is this a new build or have you transferred your OS from previous build?

ie - have you changed platform say from 1155 to 2011.

Also I take it you've tried a clean windows install?

Associate
OP
It's a brand new build. Haven't even been able to get into the bios screen as there is no VGA output, so at the moment i have a very expensive box lol!

Associate
OP
Oh, another thing. I tried clearing CMOS on one of the BIOS, which gives me a different error code now when I use that BIOS - error 34. I switch to BIOS 2, I get AE (comes up just after the 34 code)

Associate
Depending on your GPU and whether you have set up PCI-E 3.0 on the RIVE, I would ensure you have manually set your GPUs to run as "gen 2" in bios. If you have not set up PCI-E 3.0 and run your card as "gen 3" (whether it is a PCI-E 3.0 card or not), you may run into display issues and a similar code.

Back
Top Bottom