ASUS ROG strix 550F bios 1004 stops usb ports working?!?!?

Associate
just gone from 0805 to 1004 bios on a asus rog strix b550F motheroard with ryzen 3900, upon entering windows my mouse and keyboard no longer worked, so i unplugged them from the usb3.0 slots they were in and moved them around on the back of the motherboard one in the 10gbp red usb port and one into the usb2.0 usb and they work fine,

update 1004 stopped (as looking from the back)

top left usb3.0 and the one next to it

the bios flashback and the usb2 next to it were fine.

then the usb 3.0 port below the usb type c stopped working but the one next it it was working?!?!?

they work fine in the bios i can have the mouse and keyboard into the usb but once in windows they stop nothing is detected on those 3 usb ports?

i tried to flash 0805 bios back to my board from the bios and it kept saying that the bios was not the correct one for the motherboard.

so i done a bios flashback using the button and then all my usb ports are back to working again.

ASUS YOU NEED TO SORT YOUR BIOS FIRMWARES OUT FOR B550 Boards, even on a Asus Tuff b550m Wifi and Asus rog strix b550F the 0803/0805 bios is ****** for the tuf causing it to not boot with docp enabled, so had to use an older one 0608 for the ram to work again and i dont even want to try the 1004 on the tuf as its not working on my strix setup which works fine on 0805.

stop relasing these ****** bios without testing them properly you are damaging your brand, ive always been a asus guy since the rampage IV days and these b550 releases compared to that beast are just pathetic.

anyone else having the above problems with asus b550

Soldato
I'm on 1002 and didn't notice a problem with that version, but it looks like they pulled 1002 and replaced it with 1004 a few days later :confused: I haven't upgraded to 1004 yet. No idea what they're playing about at with the BIOS releases.

Associate
Thanks for posting about bios 1004 I was about to update my strix b550e. I absolutely hate this mobo because of the terrible bios im stuck on bios 608 as well because its the only one that post with my ram at 3600mhz. If anyone who sees this is thinking of buying this motherboard DONT! I wish I never did!!

Associate
OP
Thanks for posting about bios 1004 I was about to update my strix b550e. I absolutely hate this mobo because of the terrible bios im stuck on bios 608 as well because its the only one that post with my ram at 3600mhz. If anyone who sees this is thinking of buying this motherboard DONT! I wish I never did!!

same here 2 b550 boards tuf and strix have been nothing but issues since day 1, too late to return them now :(

Associate
I also have issues with strix b550 f, usb connection is completely unreliable and ass my wifi, kb&m are all wireless it is driving me mad. I never had these issues with my previous motherboard which was asrock b450 steel legend. I agree with everyone else do not but this board

Associate
I've had a bunch of similar problems with my B550-F. I haven't tweaked or overclocked anything - I'm using BIOS defaults.

For me, the situation was pretty bad on the 0608 BIOS, so I was very hopeful 1004 would sort out all the problems. Needless to say, I've now reverted to 0608 and I'm still wiping the **** off the fan.

A few of the things have gone wrong so far (within the first 48 hours of ownership):
  • USB is horrendous. My keyboard isn't detected (by BIOS or Windows 10) if connected directly to any USB port, but is detected if connected via a USB hub.
  • Audio drivers seem to be buggy. I somehow ended up in a situation whereby any video would freeze if the headphones were plugged in, then the video would start again if I unplugged the headphones, with 100% consistency. Uninstalling and reinstalling all audio drivers seemed to fix this.
  • One of the SATA ports stopped detecting its drive, so I switched to another port, which killed my software RAID.
The Asus B550-F is unstable garbage.

Associate
It's hard to believe asus could mess up as badly as they have with there b550 boards I hate my strix b550e

If anyone is thinking of getting one of asus b550 mobos for the new ryzen 5000 series DONT!

Associate
I have b550e as well and can't set memory to anything other than 3200. Windows is not even starting. On my previous CH6 I could run this memory even @3800c16. One usb at the back went crazy disconnecting and connecting constantly.

Hoping for this new bios with new cpus at the beginning of November will help :/ otherwise it will be poor.

Associate
It seems to be working with my ram at 3600 cl16 I haven't had time to test everything but fingers crossed and just in time for ryzen 5000
Yeah I managed to set mine to the same level as on my previous CH6, 3733C14 with similar latency 64.5. Haven't tested it yet, just run some 3dmark. Timespy gave me my highest score. No issues so far with USB ports.

Soldato
I have a B550-F Gaming sitting boxed on the desk here, just waiting for the Ryzen CPU to go with it. I'll flash it to the latest BIOS available before I use it so will be interesting to see if I get any issues raised here. I wouldn't say the board is terrible though, that's a bit unfair, many brands have hiccups it just sounds like from what people have said that the BIOS / software team have dropped a clanger. Hopefully v1202 will put things right. I use the X470-F Gaming at the moment and every BIOS update has been fine. Never had one issue. I'm sure I read in another thread someone saying they had a Gigabyte board and the USBs were not working correctly. It maybe a more universal issue with the B550 chipset, rather than just a fault with Asus.

Associate
I just updated to BIOS 1202 and this has made the USB is even worse. Now my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive for maybe half a second roughly every 5 to 10 seconds.

This is particularly annoying for the mouse, which just stops moving. But also keyboard keypresses will just get "stuck" as if I didn't take my finger off the key. This is now unusable.

Soldato
I just updated to BIOS 1202 and this has made the USB is even worse. Now my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive for maybe half a second roughly every 5 to 10 seconds.

This is particularly annoying for the mouse, which just stops moving. But also keyboard keypresses will just get "stuck" as if I didn't take my finger off the key. This is now unusable.

How frustrating - it could be entirely possible the board you have is duff and may need replacing which is unlucky. Have you also tried your peripherals in another machine just to make sure they work OK and the problem doesn't move with them? Since upgrading to v1202 have you tried resetting your BIOS again (just in case)? Perhaps failing all that it may be wise to RMA especially if there is a SATA port that isn't working too. :)

Soldato
have you guys all cleared CMOS after bios update? or just generally cleared CMOS?

had an isue with the intel bluetooth refuse to install. however after Clear CMOS B550m tuf gaming wifi is running pretty seamless.

Back
Top Bottom