Asus ROG X570 Crosshair Dark Hero Release? *** NO Competitor Talk ***

Associate
My board arrived today, just built the system outside of the chassis and successfully got into BIOS first time.

Can’t see any bent header pins, booted fine with 4x 8GB sticks. BIOS arrived at version 2601. Time for a beer whilst researching BIOS upgrade.

Associate
My board arrived today, just built the system outside of the chassis and successfully got into BIOS first time.

Can’t see any bent header pins, booted fine with 4x 8GB sticks. BIOS arrived at version 2601. Time for a beer whilst researching BIOS upgrade.

Glad its all working ok!

I've got mine on on pre-order, due in just under 4 weeks (hopefully). Can I ask did you need to Flash the bios or is 2601 Zen3/Ryzen 5000 series CPU ready out of the box?

Associate
Glad its all working ok!

I've got mine on on pre-order, due in just under 4 weeks (hopefully). Can I ask did you need to Flash the bios or is 2601 Zen3/Ryzen 5000 series CPU ready out of the box?

One of the main selling points of this board is that it supports Zen 3 right out of the box. Especially considering that it was released officially after the CPUs did.

Associate
One of the main selling points of this board is that it supports Zen 3 right out of the box. Especially considering that it was released officially after the CPUs did.

Thanks a lot, I thought that was the case but its my first AMD system so wanted to be sure. Gonna be a long wait!

Associate
Glad its all working ok!

No need to flash the BIOS to get working, it all worked straight out the box.

One thing to note.... my heart sank when I thought I saw a message pop up after booting up which I thought said “NO CPU DETECTED”...... It actually said “NEW CPU DETECTED”

The only problem I’ve personally come across so far that probably doesn’t apply to many others. I’m currently running this PC in the lounge on a 4k TV. Set up the computer on a monitor and all went fine but when transferring over to the TV it wouldn’t recognise it on boot. I had to start on the monitor then unplug / transfer to the TV, putting the PC to sleep rather than full shutdown otherwise I’d need to plug the monitor back in.

After much troubleshooting, I got around this problem by enabling “CSM” in the BIOS which is something to do with higher compatibility mode. All working fine now.

edit - It replaced a computer that had no problems at all with the TV.

Last edited:
Associate
No need to flash the BIOS to get working, it all worked straight out the box.

One thing to note.... my heart sank when I thought I saw a message pop up after booting up which I thought said “NO CPU DETECTED”...... It actually said “NEW CPU DETECTED”

The only problem I’ve personally come across so far that probably doesn’t apply to many others. I’m currently running this PC in the lounge on a 4k TV. Set up the computer on a monitor and all went fine but when transferring over to the TV it wouldn’t recognise it on boot. I had to start on the monitor then unplug / transfer to the TV, putting the PC to sleep rather than full shutdown otherwise I’d need to plug the monitor back in.

After much troubleshooting, I got around this problem by enabling “CSM” in the BIOS which is something to do with higher compatibility mode. All working fine now.

edit - It replaced a computer that had no problems at all with the TV.

I have seen a few threads where people have not been able to boot due to GPU signal problems, glad you got it sorted out relatively easily. I'll be using a traditional monitor so hopefully won't run in to any issues.
What RAM did you go for? I'm looking at some white Corsair Vengeance RGB pro but have not made my mind up yet though it doesn't help that they're not on the Asus QVL list. Definitely going with 32Gb but not sure if to go with 4x8gb sticks or 2x16gb sticks.

Last edited:
Associate
I have seen a few threads where people have not been able to boot due to GPU signal problems, glad you got it sorted out relatively easily. I'll be using a traditional monitor so hopefully won't run in to any issues.
What RAM did you go for? I'm looking at some white Corsair Vengeance RGB pro but have not made my mind up yet though it doesn't help that they're its not on the Asus QVL list. Definitely going with 32Gb but not sure if to go with 4x8gb sticks or 2x16gb sticks.

That’s interesting to know. Will bear that in mind and keep checking back to disable CSM every BIOS update to see if it cures the issue as I’m not sure if enabling CSM introduces any disadvantages yet. Not had time to look into overclocking yet but wary it could possible disable some options / functionality maybe?? Doesn’t appear to have any basic functionality disadvantages anyway.

Regarding RAM, I went with Corsair LPX (low profile due to big air cooler), 4000 MHz with overclocking in mind but as above, not done anything yet, not even enabled XMP. Just getting basic functionality sorted, software and family profiles installed etc.

I went with 4 sticks rated for 4000 MHz as I read a few reports at the time that indicated it would be a good choice regarding overclocking capability re: 2000 MHz FCLK. I bought the sticks back in late November and since then there’s been loads more opinions raised on RAM choice as you are no doubt aware. As above, not tried any overclocking yet so can’t comment on that side of things.

Associate
That’s interesting to know. Will bear that in mind and keep checking back to disable CSM every BIOS update to see if it cures the issue as I’m not sure if enabling CSM introduces any disadvantages yet. Not had time to look into overclocking yet but wary it could possible disable some options / functionality maybe?? Doesn’t appear to have any basic functionality disadvantages anyway.

Regarding RAM, I went with Corsair LPX (low profile due to big air cooler), 4000 MHz with overclocking in mind but as above, not done anything yet, not even enabled XMP. Just getting basic functionality sorted, software and family profiles installed etc.

I went with 4 sticks rated for 4000 MHz as I read a few reports at the time that indicated it would be a good choice regarding overclocking capability re: 2000 MHz FCLK. I bought the sticks back in late November and since then there’s been loads more opinions raised on RAM choice as you are no doubt aware. As above, not tried any overclocking yet so can’t comment on that side of things.

Cool thanks for your feedback. I think I'm going to play it safe and stick with 3600Mhz RAM as I'm not ready to overclock right now, just want a stable system. Also leaning to 4 dimms because I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a system preference over 2 dimms (could be imagining that though)

I would be interested to know how you get on when you do eventually attempt overclocking the RAM so keep us posted!

Associate
Cool thanks for your feedback. I think I'm going to play it safe and stick with 3600Mhz RAM as I'm not ready to overclock right now, just want a stable system. Also leaning to 4 dimms because I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a system preference over 2 dimms (could be imagining that though)

I would be interested to know how you get on when you do eventually attempt overclocking the RAM so keep us posted!

RAM is a really complicated situation. There's tons of people that can't get it to even boot when the infinity fabric is coupled to 1900Mhz (because you want to run them 1:1). I have a 3600 and if I uncouple it I can get it to boot at 3800 while keeping the IF at 1800. So the ram is good to go buuut the CPU just can't take it. Silicon lottery. So there's a fair chance that you might get expensive fast memory and ending up to running it at lower speeds. Depends a bit as well on whether with time if newer AGESA updates will make it more stable. Also supposedly 2 DIMMS is a bit preferrable to 4 as it puts less stress on the memory controller while with 4 might make some systems either not boot or require looser timings. Again, lottery.

Associate
Just wanted to chime in with my two cents, running a 5950x on this board and previously had a 1080ti until I got a new gpu. Bit the bullet and got a 3090 FE from the UK retailer selling them and had quite a few random reboots and WHEA crashes. (I did have WHEA errors when I first built the system, but after updating BIOS and turning off Fmax Enhancer it seemed stable.)
So initially I reset BIOS to factory settings and was still experiencing crashes. Then I vaguely remember the PCIE 4 issue so I manually adjusted the GPU interface to Gen 3 and restored RAM overclock has been stable since. I've been lucky enough not to experience any USB issues though. It would be nice to be able to run the GPU at Gen 4 but it's not a huge issue given it's unlikely to saturate Gen 3 but just would be nice if it worked. Maybe a future BIOS will fix? On BIOS 3003, idk if 3204 would fix?

Associate
Hi @Mike1983, I hardly recommend you to test your memory works well with the XMP profiles. I've been debugging for almost a entire week why my PC was freezing at night only while idle. Everything worked fine, gaming, stress, memory checks everything rock solid.. But on idle for few hours the screen goes black, no signal and code 00 in the Dark Hero display. I have to turn it off and on from the PSU switch to be able to boot again. Last night I raised up the DRAM voltage from 1.35 to 1.36 and XMP 3600Mhz activated everything else is stock in BIOS and the PC was idle all night without any problems. Tonight I'm testing with this config and VTX activated. If it's still stable I'll try again with v1.35 and "Power Down mode" manually disabled. By default when you activate XMP in BIOS its in "Auto". My theory is that the default value in Auto is Enabled but it's impossible to confirm this because I cannot find official Asus documentation about this feature.
My point is that if its enabled but default and XMP is enable the memory is OCed, when the PC is on idle the MB lower the RAM voltage and then PC freezes... And somehow when I set manually something greater than 1.35(which is usually considered stable value) the BIOS flip this "Power Down mode" Auto to disabled and the frequency is always v1.36(In my case).
I can start logging with HWinfo but I thing it will prevent the memory going low Voltage because of the polling. So the only way I see to test this is switching back to v1.35 and manually disabling "Power Down mode".

My RAM is G. Skill 4x16GB Dual Rank 3600Mhz F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC

Btw if you want to see more details of my debugging journey and also other people with the exact same problem check this thread.

Associate
Just wanted to chime in with my two cents, running a 5950x on this board and previously had a 1080ti until I got a new gpu. Bit the bullet and got a 3090 FE from the UK retailer selling them and had quite a few random reboots and WHEA crashes. (I did have WHEA errors when I first built the system, but after updating BIOS and turning off Fmax Enhancer it seemed stable.)
So initially I reset BIOS to factory settings and was still experiencing crashes. Then I vaguely remember the PCIE 4 issue so I manually adjusted the GPU interface to Gen 3 and restored RAM overclock has been stable since. I've been lucky enough not to experience any USB issues though. It would be nice to be able to run the GPU at Gen 4 but it's not a huge issue given it's unlikely to saturate Gen 3 but just would be nice if it worked. Maybe a future BIOS will fix? On BIOS 3003, idk if 3204 would fix?

Setting your GPU to Gen3 is the fix for the USB issue which is why your not experiencing it.

Associate
Been reading a few comments about poor NVME gen 4 speeds on the Dark Hero, with worse speeds on the second slot, has anyone encountered low NVME gen 4 speeds on the Dark Hero board?

Not the DH but I have the Asus X570 Formula and at least for me my WD SN850 2TB has significantly worse speeds in the second slot compared to the first. My drive is rated for 7GB read, 5.1GB writes, reads in the main slot are ok at 6.8GB to 7.0GB but reads are way down at 4.6GB at best, never been able to break 4.8GB writes.

If I use the second slot the read speed is about 4GB read and about that in writes, so the second slot even on my board is significantly worse and not much faster than what I had on my previous Z370 board which this drive maxed out the gen 3 slot at 3.5GB read and write.

Associate
Thanks for the update, seems to be happening on a few x570 boards from what I have read, hopefully it's a driver or bios issue. I will be using two gen 4 drives, looks like I'm going to be sacrificing speed on this board until/if it's fixed.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
Been reading a few comments about poor NVME gen 4 speeds on the Dark Hero, with worse speeds on the second slot, has anyone encountered low NVME gen 4 speeds on the Dark Hero board?
running a gen 4 Sabrent rocket 2TB in slot 1 and a Samsung 970 1TB gen 3 in slot 2.

Speeds rated from Samsung Magician are
Rocket - Sequential Read 5634, Sequential write 4248 (in MB/s) Random Read 426757 Write 354980(IOPS)
970- Sequential Read 3290, Sequential write 2535 (in MB/s) Random Read 383789 Write 352539 (IOPS)

Associate
running a gen 4 Sabrent rocket 2TB in slot 1 and a Samsung 970 1TB gen 3 in slot 2.

Speeds rated from Samsung Magician are
Rocket - Sequential Read 5634, Sequential write 4248 (in MB/s) Random Read 426757 Write 354980(IOPS)
970- Sequential Read 3290, Sequential write 2535 (in MB/s) Random Read 383789 Write 352539 (IOPS)
Thanks @Supertaff, they seem to be the right speeds. Shame you don't have a gen 4 drive in slot 2 to test.

Anyone else with any input?

Associate
Thanks @Supertaff, they seem to be the right speeds. Shame you don't have a gen 4 drive in slot 2 to test.

Anyone else with any input?

Not yet but I’ll be plugging in a 2nd gen 4 NVME at the weekend and will report back. What’s the preferred benchmark software?

Currently have a 500GB Samsung 980 in slot 1. Will have an additional 2TB WD SN850 in slot 2 at the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom