Asus ROG X570 Crosshair Dark Hero Release? *** NO Competitor Talk ***

Associate
RTX 3090, Nice ;)

And like you totally loving playing on a 165hz G-Sync Display.

I will be updating this post soon as I have any updates on the Dark Hero.

Nice work. I'm checking around all the time as well!

Yeah, I have an older 4k 60hz monitor that I use for rpgs but the experience is just so much better at higher refresh rate.

Associate
As of this message, just got off the phone from the only UK store I can see listing the Dark Hero (Bradford Place) and have it as coming soon.

The guy told me that they have no idea when they will be getting the MB in and due to the lack of info it seems to be a (Paper Launch) from ASUS.

Not sure what to think, JJ from ASUS posted last week on Reddit that the Dark Hero will be available to purchase this week in the US.

If we see/hear nothing about this MB by this Friday then it really could a (Paper Launch)

I really hope not as the ASUS x570 Dark Hero is the only thing I need to start my New Build.

I've taken to checking on the status of the BIOS on a hunch that we won't get a release date until they've gone beyond only having a beta version of the BIOS. I'd hope that if they're just properly baking the BIOS then there shouldn't be any reason for the physical hardware not to be in production so that once the BIOS is done there should be sensible numbers of boards ready to go. That said I could also imagine that flashing the BIOS is part of the production process and that they may not want to have to go back and reflash a stockpile of boards which kind of argues the other way.

Associate
Do you have any source for this info? I have been scouring the internet for information about this feature and if it will be coming to other ASUS boards or not but haven't found much.

I posted this on another thread.
shamino1978

An explanation about how this new feature works and is only specific to Dark Hero and cannot be implemented easily on other boards i.e bios updates

Elmor posted this "An updated PCB layout is required for it, it's not as simple as a new BIOS/firmware" also in response to question. Shamino1978 is source and creator.

I'll use this thread to post up an explanation of the "DOS" OC Feature.
Short for Dynamic OC Switcher

So i placed this option in the per ccx menu for the following reason:
1) works best if u use OC vid voltage instead of manual override voltage
2) Avoids stepping onto the current existing Auto rules for OC.
Current existing Auto Rule for OC:
Anytime you set a custom value for the ratio on the main menu and leave VCore auto, the BIOS would set a manual override voltage and raise LLC. This is what layman users are used to so we keep the structure as it is. Not a good combination with DOS though, since we ideally want the proc to remain in VID mode whether in oc or pbo mode switching back and forth.
But let us examine what happens if you do the afore mentioned anyways.
The not so ideal way:
So in light loads, the proc would be PBO'ing like you'd expect, freely changing its freq volt thru SVI VID commands. Then when the current threshold is exceeded, the voltage switches to manual override mode. Then when the load subsides, it takes off the manual volt first, transiting to VID mode, then switches back to PBO freq. This back and forth can incur transient moments whereby freq/volt is not matched.

Therefore I recommend leaving the outer menu's ratio at auto
do your DOCP and whatever
Set your LLC if prefered (i actually like 1 or 2 yet with a higher set voltage)
Set vrm current capability to 140% if high load OC like 5950X
and go into per ccx sub menu.
Key in the OCVID voltage desired such as 1.32v or whatever, CCD0 and 1 ratios, typically 0 does 50mhz higher.
Enable DOS,
now there are 3 items customizable for DOS:
Current Threshold
Calibrated temp threshold
Hysteresis

Current Threshold: Auto value is 45A if only single CCD enabled, else 55A. This is an estimate of when the PBO freq crosses the manual oc freq, typically with water cooling, this value tends to be higher than these. When current is above AND calibrated temp is below temp threshold , OC mode engages. else PBO engages
You can fine tune this value to find out exactly the PBO/OC Freq crossing point by doing what skatter bencher suggests, run load up incrementally in PBO mode till you see freq dips below your known OC freq and check the current then. Then use that value or slightly lesser as the thresh.

Calibrated Temp Threshold: Auto Value is 75C which translates to roughly 85C package temp, which imo is a good point to take off the OC and slip back into PBO mode. This allows you to be more aggressive in oc freq such that when temp is starting to limit, you back off to PBO freq. In reality, as the load persists, it will naturally repeat slipping in and out of oc mode as temp drops in PBO and increases in OC mode repeatedly.

Hysteresis Auto value is 0, is just the counter that the state needs to persist in to warrant a switch, if you increase this value, then you need to persist in the over/below threshold state before the switch occurs.

So I would start off by maximizing PBO with such as PBO enabled, FMAX Enhancer (if fmax enhancer, then plus offsetting vcore upwards to remove clk stretching -> that is if you are a liberal with voltage like me) and the final touch would be to set DOS up.

The reason why not much official documentation with this is because I kept it under wraps for fear of it being twisted into something that it is not supposed to be.

For other boards, the only way I can think of making this to 'possibly' work there may be considered unorthordox, and im not even sure if that's possible.

-Known glitch-> sometimes when coming back from S3 resume the proc may come back in oc mode and it requires it to cross the thresh and back once to continue 'DOSing'. Still looking into this.

Also add this if you want to watch a video of it working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZIGUaEXvU

https://www.overclock.net/threads/a...oard-when-will-it-be-available.1774450/page-2

Soldato
So is there some reason the boards without a fan are so expensive? This is £400+ and the other x570 with no fan (gigabyte, can't remember the board name) was also £400+. Are the boards with no fan doing something special that pushes the price up? Or could the manufacturers just stick a decent heatsink on the less expensive boards and it would fine, they just choose not to so people are forced to pay the premium if they really don't want the fan?

Associate
Just found another review for the board.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_rog_x570_crosshair_viii_dark_hero_preview/1

Hoping more info is shared soon regarding purchasing, would like to pick this up if I can.

Nice, just got YouTube notification. OC3D Preview.

https://youtu.be/XLRcYWoj11M

Also, here the link to the DARK HERO Bios page currently showing Version Beta. If this updates to an non beta retail version, it should mean that the MB is good to go ;)

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Dark-Hero/HelpDesk_Download/

Last edited:
Soldato
So is there some reason the boards without a fan are so expensive? This is £400+ and the other x570 with no fan (gigabyte, can't remember the board name) was also £400+. Are the boards with no fan doing something special that pushes the price up? Or could the manufacturers just stick a decent heatsink on the less expensive boards and it would fine, they just choose not to so people are forced to pay the premium if they really don't want the fan?

Probably this. The chipset is around 11 watts so nothing which cant be cooled by a decent heatsink which this board is proof of. Lets be honest who wants a tiny small fan on their mobo, I remember when motherboards used to have small fans on and it was great to see that trend disappear. Add to this currently motherboard prices on the whole are at a silly level.

Associate
Also, here the link to the DARK HERO Bios page currently showing Version Beta. If this updates to an non beta retail version, it should mean that the MB is good to go ;)

on the page it does show the dark hero Version 0210 is not in beta since 2020/10/19
so depends if they release the board with bios 0210 or 2402

Associate
Seriously thinking about ditching the dark hero idea and getting a Gigabyte Aorus Master. Just seen that EK do a waterblock for the PCH for this board! I am watercooling anyway and it looks super easy to do.

Just checked out the MB for the first time and it looks good.

Hopefully no Bios update issues with the 5Series CPU,s

Associate
I'm also patiently waiting for the board mainly for the Asus dynamic OC feature

Just received yesterday 5950x and be quiet Dark Base 900 Rev2 case. Rest of the parts are on the way except mbo for obvious reasons and for the gpu until RX 6900XT proper reviews come out.
My old 1080TI will be enough till then

Associate
Seriously thinking about ditching the dark hero idea and getting a Gigabyte Aorus Master. Just seen that EK do a waterblock for the PCH for this board! I am watercooling anyway and it looks super easy to do.

Block, fittings, extra tubes. Seems like you are trying to complicate things that supposed to be easy. Dark Hero doesn't need that. Hell, most of the usage scenarios probably don't even require vrm heatsink.

Soldato

The thought has also crossed my mind, the chipset block is only £40 and looking at a video a quick addition to the loop. 3 vs 2 NVME slots on the Master compared to the Dark hero but less USB ports.

Associate
The thought has also crossed my mind, the chipset block is only £40 and looking at a video a quick addition to the loop. 3 vs 2 NVME slots on the Master compared to the Dark hero but less USB ports.

Yeah, there are positives and negatives to each board. I've spent a long time researching and it's always either been the Aorus Master, Original Hero or Dark Hero.

Back
Top Bottom