ASUS RT-AC1200G Wireless Router

Associate
I'm hoping someone could give me some advice. Where I live we're still stuck on standard (non fiber) broadband. With both me and my girlfriend using cloud storage, streaming films and playing video games our internet connection is constantly bad.

If we both keep our storage cloud syncranised over wifi our speed drops to 1mb DPS. I've read on a site that getting a new router could possibly make some improvements to the connectivity, what do you think?

We're currently with sky and have one of those sky hubs. I saw on Amazon that they are selling the ASUS RT-AC1200G for £63. Would this make any difference to our speed if we don't have fiber? I want to maximise our connection as much as we can to try and get the best speed whilst we haven't got fiber.

According to openreach customer service we're due to get fiber this September.

Soldato
a new router will give u better connectivity to the point that you may be able to prioritise your gaming traffic over the cloud stuff. but it won't likely to increase your internet speed to any extent. may give you that extra few kilo bits per second...if you are on ADSL and getting 7mbps say you won't all of the sudden get 17mbps by swapping out the router. you are more likely to get 7.1mbps and I suspect it won't significantly improve your experiences.

Soldato
Your link doesn't go anywhere but I'm assuming you meant this site: https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RT-AC1200G/

Bare in mind this is only a router and does not have a built in ADSL modem so you will need to either slave it off the Sky hub or get a dedicated modem. The QoS and improved wifi should help, but you'll still be limited by the internet speed. And uploading to the cloud on ADSL is incredibly slow... depending on the distance to the exchange you're limited to 1mbps.

TJM

TJM

Associate
Unfortunately continuous uploading will kill a slow connection and QoS usually sucks. Just hold out until September and see how your new VDSL router performs.

Soldato
Mart dont bother. You are not to gain anything, It will obtain the rate it gets from exchange, Post your line stats from.your current router ? Message me if you don't know how to do it.

ADSL is dark ages yes, depending on line length and attenuation, if your on ADSL 2+ . Wait till sept and get fibre. Speak to me about it as i will show you some packages and cashback offers. In the meantime ensure you have your current router in the master socket of the house, decent filter or integrated one and send over the line stats from.your router.

If your hammering your low upload speed it's going to kill the download

Soldato
to be fair, the asus router is still decent. but would keep an eye out for AC68U or better on the members market. it is a piece of kit that's worth keeping as the routing device at your home even if you have crappy internet speed.

Back
Top Bottom