ASUS X470-f not booting.

Associate
Hi all,

I have the above strix motherboard paired with a 2700X and it's been trouble free since it was built a couple of months ago.

Yesterday I was playing FH4 and the game crashed, screen froze and unresponsive, this isn't unique, FH4 loves to crash. But, I held down the power button to shut it off, and then turned it back on again it would get to the "press F2 to go to UEFI settings" splash screen and get stuck there. It wouldn't accept any input. I tried many many times and always the same result.

I reseated the ram and the GPU - Nothing.

I removed all USB devices except keyboard - Nothing

I tried booting multiple times to get the windows 10 safe mode/repair - It wouldn't go beyond the splash screen.

I took out the CMOS battery and cleared the bios - Nothing

Finally, unplugged the keyboard, and it passed the splash screen and then went into an endless 'spinning circle' loading screen, or an endless 'preparing to repair' screen. I've left it going for hours at this point, but no repair was made.

Can anybody help me with this? I've been pulling my hair out and I'm open to any suggestions. I really hope I don't have to RMA this board.

Thanks in advance.

Associate
It could have been a keyboard or USB problem possibly. Do you have a different keyboard to use? You could try unplugging the case USB connectors from the motherboard headers. I had a faulty front USB in a case that caused problems until I disconnected it from the motherboard.

At this point for me the number one thing is to secure your precious photos and documents etc. Hopefully your files are backed up? If not, are they on an SSD or a M2 drive separate from your windows drive? If they are on your windows drive, which seems to have a problem, I would take it out of the faulty PC and use another computer if you have one, see if you can find the files on there and save them to another drive. Then back that drive up to somewhere else.

Then if you have a spare drive you could try installing that in the faulty PC and doing a fresh install of windows on that. Otherwise, having saved your files from the broken windows drive you could try to wipe that and do a fresh install of windows on it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your input.

I have put a freshly erased M.2 in to replace the windows drive with the hope of reinstalling and it still suffers the same symptoms. Although instead of the ROG spinning circle screen, it's now a blue windows spinning circle screen that it's getting stuck on. Very frustrating.

Associate
Try disconnecting all of the case front panel connectors except the power switch. If your RAM kit is 2 sticks you could try it with just one of those sticks in and then try the other stick on it's own.

Associate
OP
I've got 4 ram sticks, I have tried with just 1, this didn't change the situation. I have not tried disconnection front panel, I'll do this now.

Unfortunately I don't have another SATA device I can try.

Soldato
I took out the CMOS battery and cleared the bios - Nothing
you dont need to take out the battery to clear CMOS, i am pretty sure you need the battery to clear CMOS as otherwise there is nothing supplying the charge to clear CMOS.

also once you build your system do stress testing, run RAMTEST and CPU/SYSTEM stresses. your game shouldn't crash and if it does a lot it means something isn't right.

an unstable system running for months could have written many corrupt information which would have affected the UEFI boot. I think that can be potentially your problem.

Back
Top Bottom