• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Z370F - i7 8700k or i7 9700k?

Associate
I've read the thousands of variations on this argument but I cant find a specific answer to this specific dilemma.

I have an Asus ROG Z370f and want to buy a 2nd hand i7 8700k or i7 9700k but from what I can tell the performance is almost identical if you overclock the 8700k to 5gz which would benefit greatly from a delid (unless a generic 240mm aio is ok with this OC). Therefor the prices start to get very close when comparing 8700k + LM + delid tool vs 9700k.

So I was wondering if I decided to get the 9700k, A) would it show any sign of performance loss being on this meh Z370, and B) would it absolutely crap itself on a mild overclock using this board.

Ultimately trying to decide on 8700k vs 9700k

Soldato
I don't really know how the 9700k performs, but the 8700k is still the traditional 6 cores, 12 threads design (I think). It's safe to say I think that might be the better option, and cheaper option.
I can't see the 9700k having the same life expectancy as the 8700k, given it doesn't have hyperthreading.

Soldato
The 9700K beats the 8700K at everything except some rendering applications. In those the 8700K just sneaks ahead by a tiny amount.
To beat the 8-core 9700k, the 6-core 8700k needs to gain more than 33% performance through hyperthreading. Very few applications can achieve this.

Also, if you can get an R0 stepping 9700K, you are getting much newer, more refined silicon. The 8700K will be cheaper though and so may offer better value for money (R0 is new out and so unlikely to be sold 2nd hand).

I would have though an ROG board would be up to the job.

Soldato
I've got a very good overclock on my Z370 with the 9700K. Just use something like HWInfo to check the VRM temps if/when you start overclocking. For me it is pretty much a no brainer to go for the 9700K over the 8700K for reasons that @IT Troll outlined.

Soldato
I've read the thousands of variations on this argument but I cant find a specific answer to this specific dilemma.

I have an Asus ROG Z370f and want to buy a 2nd hand i7 8700k or i7 9700k but from what I can tell the performance is almost identical if you overclock the 8700k to 5gz which would benefit greatly from a delid (unless a generic 240mm aio is ok with this OC). Therefor the prices start to get very close when comparing 8700k + LM + delid tool vs 9700k.

So I was wondering if I decided to get the 9700k, A) would it show any sign of performance loss being on this meh Z370, and B) would it absolutely crap itself on a mild overclock using this board.

Ultimately trying to decide on 8700k vs 9700k
9700K.

Associate
OP
Hmmm. So I decided on the 9700k. I have it and just updated my bios to 2201 using the EZ flash bios wizard. I have reset my fan curve and rebooted a few times but the whole system is stuck on 100% fan now?

Any ideas?

Soldato
Sounds like the fan speed is being misread. What type of CPU cooler are you using? AIO by any chance? Check you have it connected to the correct fan header and have the correct mode PWM/DC.

Associate
OP
So I've noticed a couple problems: it only turbos to 4.6ghz which I believe is cos my motherboard is for some reason only giving it 1.02v, so I will overclock eventually, although I'm worried that even that low I'm seeing 27-45c when I'm idle or have chrome open. I seemed to only go up to 60c under 100% load when working on photo editing software

Secondly theres now a constant fairly loud buzzing high frequency coming from my computer. My 1080ti does have some whine but this is different. It's not my fans or drives, the only thing I thought was my pump since the bios had it at 100% constantly. Changed it to PWM minimum 50%, but it's still the same volume. It might be the gpu still though cos the buzzing doesnt happen in the bios, only once booted but it's really annoying and noticeable unless I have headphones. But how can a gpu start making noise due to a new cpu

Soldato
Boost amount varies depending on core load. For all eight cores, 4.6 is Intel's factory default. You motherboard will likely have an MCE (multi core enhancement) setting which will increase the all core boost to 4.9. But this will increase power draw and heat. Similarly, voltage will vary depending on load and drop quite low during idle. Best to use CPU-Z whilst running applications to monitor how boost and voltage varies.

The CPU will be drawing more power than your previous CPU, so could it be coil wine from your PSU or motherboard? You could temporarily remove your GPU and run will the case open to try to pin down where the noise is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom