At around £20k. What Car would you?

Associate
Sounds like music to my ears. Any particular year to get or avoid? What trim? Is it really quiet? If you find it more comfortable than an E class and it is from your personal experience and not online reviews...I think you are echoing my thoughts. I know the big barges are more desirable but I'll like my car to be desirable but I want to feel fresh after a long drive. How do you find it on long journeys like Bolton to MK?

5th Gen which is 2012 onwards. £20K shoulf get you a 2015 Model. Dealer FSH is a must as you will want the hybrid health certificate. Servicing is every 10k miles. Extended warranty is £995 for two years including European breakdown cover. Mine has never missed a heart beat. I’m still on my original discs and pads at 70k miles.

I would recommend the F-Sport if you can find one. Mine is the base 'Premium' spec with the upgraded 17 speaker hifi. F-Sport adds 4 wheel steering and adaptive suspension and a few other sporty trim bits. Cooling front seats have been lovely in this weather.

Longest journey I’ve done is Bolton to Riems. Parked up and happily went for a walk around the town.

Technically it only has two physical gears and it changes into second at about 75mph. It also doesn’t have a reverse gear (it reverses on the electric motor). Start stop is smooth as it will move off in EV mode.

Associate
OP
5th Gen which is 2012 onwards. £20K shoulf get you a 2015 Model. Dealer FSH is a must as you will want the hybrid health certificate. Servicing is every 10k miles. Extended warranty is £995 for two years including European breakdown cover. Mine has never missed a heart beat. I’m still on my original discs and pads at 70k miles.

I would recommend the F-Sport if you can find one. Mine is the base 'Premium' spec with the upgraded 17 speaker hifi. F-Sport adds 4 wheel steering and adaptive suspension and a few other sporty trim bits. Cooling front seats have been lovely in this weather.

Longest journey I’ve done is Bolton to Riems. Parked up and happily went for a walk around the town.

Technically it only has two physical gears and it changes into second at about 75mph. It also doesn’t have a reverse gear (it reverses on the electric motor). Start stop is smooth as it will move off in EV mode.

Thanks. I thought the F sport models have bigger rims and maybe less comfortable? Also, I was thinking the Fsport seats might not be as comfortable...

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks. I thought the F sport models have bigger rims and maybe less comfortable?

19’s I think.

I went for mine as it has 18’s, I’m in my early 40’s and I like my spine.

It is not a car for blasting down bendy B roads. It is too big. Don’t take any notice of reviews which take it on a track. You don’t buy a GS for track days.

Associate
OP
19’s I think.

I went for mine as it has 18’s, I’m in my early 40’s and I like my spine.

It is not a car for blasting down bendy B roads. It is too big. Don’t take any notice of reviews which take it on a track. You don’t buy a GS for track days.

The Fsport seems more popular and at £20k....only 2012 available for the price. I might consider the Premier trim as they seem to be the best specd model.

Soldato
I originally fell in love with the LS600h but then parking and petrol bills put me off. However, I might still look into this in the future. I do travel to see other family members across the country...generally 2 to 3 hours drive but looking to be doing more of those with a super comfortable and enjoyable drive. Also, large bills not really my thing lol

I did many long trips in my 530d. From the North East of Scotland, down to London, reasonably regular, but also to the likes of Bristol and such. 8-10 hours driving, stopping for toilet breaks and a bit to eat and little more. Haven't driven anything I would consider more comfortable for these sorts of drives, so I'd imagine your "long" drives of 2-3 hours to feel like nothing. Certainly, I'm almost 3 hours to Glasgow, and wouldn't have blinked an eyelid at that.

You say you don't like diesels, but you obviously haven't driven a good one then. The engine in the 530d really is the perfect engine for your needs. It's fast enough to be comfortable, economical on your longer journeys. And the fact you are doing these longer journeys means you have less worry about DPF issues and the likes. The auto box is the best I've ever driven, by a LONG way. If petrol is what you want though, there are a few options. I would prefer the 535i personally, but the 528i is probably the more sensible choice.

All cars depreciate, don't they? The Porsche sounds fast but that much money and not enough comfort?

I can't imagine you would lose any money, due to depreciation if you bought the "right" 996. That's not to say there wouldn't be costs in running such a car, but they are unlikely to lose money, so long as your not banging 20k a year on them. With that said, it was more of a jokey post compared to the 5 series suggestion. It's clearly not going to be as comfortable, or as new, so less tech. But if you have any interest in fun at all, and don't mind driving an older car which might cost more to run, but pretty much not depreciate, then fun can be had in one. The bottom of the barrel 996's have increased by a good few grand over the last couple years, so buy the right one, and you might even make some money when you sell it.

Associate
OP
Wow!!

Wow!!! This looks beautiful! I would never look at this. It's got the racing look more than the saloon look but damn! Would it be as comfortable as the likes of the 530d? I have been looking at them since it was kindly recommended on this thread and it is rated even better than the Eclass.

Soldato
Still don't think any of the modern BMWs look all that nice :/

Yea current ones aren't nearly as ugly as the E60, but there is still a legacy of ugly lines there.

Last edited:
Associate
The Fsport seems more popular and at £20k....only 2012 available for the price. I might consider the Premier trim as they seem to be the best specd model.

The issue is that there arn't all that many GS450h's around to begin with. There are far more GS300h's though. Do you need it to be the 450?

I have a 62 plate GS250 and I absolutely love it. I would have liked a GS450h for the increased MPG but you pay a fair bit more for the car to begin with.

Caporegime
Still don't think any of the modern BMWs look all that nice :/

Yea current ones aren't nearly as ugly as the E60, but there is still a legacy of ugly lines there.
I agree with this, love the lines of my e38 but think the e65 which replaced it is just hideous, I’m slowly warming to the later variants mind you.

I must say I think the e60 has aged well despite disliking it at launch I actually quite like them now.

The 6 Series is a lovely thing, had a few drives of a 640d recently and would certainly consider one in the future.

Soldato
Wow!!

Wow!!! This looks beautiful! I would never look at this. It's got the racing look more than the saloon look but damn! Would it be as comfortable as the likes of the 530d? I have been looking at them since it was kindly recommended on this thread and it is rated even better than the Eclass.

More comfortable than a 5 series. Higher quality interior, leather dash, better engine than a 530d and more options as standard. It’s a no brainier

Man of Honour
More comfortable than a 5 series. Higher quality interior, leather dash, better engine than a 530d and more options as standard. It’s a no brainier

It's not a no brainer at all - there are pros and cons to both. The main con with the 6 Series is that its more expensive than a 5 Series meaning you get an older, higher mileage car for the money. Whilst this might not matter its still a consideration. I was able to get a 1 year old F10 M Sport with 5k on it for the price of a 3 year old 6 Series M Sport with 30-40k on it.

The 6 is simply a more luxurious 5 Series - but as a result, it is more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom