At around £20k. What Car would you?

Man of Honour
If your compare like for like is a 530i/535i/540i (at as close as you can get engine wise) M-sport really much cheaper than a 640i M Sport?

Thats only useful if you are particularly in the market for a 300bhp car - for me the 260bhp 530d was more than sufficient and it was a bit of a shame they didnt do a 630d.

Associate
Another vote for a 530d with that budget. The engine is fantastically smooth, with great performance and economy.

I was looking at used 3 series estates earlier, and you'd need the same 20k to buy a nice spec low mileage 330d. The 5 is miles better for the same money.

Soldato
It's not a no brainer at all - there are pros and cons to both. The main con with the 6 Series is that its more expensive than a 5 Series meaning you get an older, higher mileage car for the money. Whilst this might not matter its still a consideration. I was able to get a 1 year old F10 M Sport with 5k on it for the price of a 3 year old 6 Series M Sport with 30-40k on it.

The 6 is simply a more luxurious 5 Series - but as a result, it is more expensive.

Thats quite a difference. But then you are looking at a year old 5 series, an age of car where this budget wont go. I'd suggest the difference in age / mileage is much less significant when looking at the OP's budget.

None the less, I'd still go for the 5 series anyway, mostly because I really dislike the look of the 6 series.

Soldato
The 6 series is a fantastic looking car inside and out, but it's so hard to argue a case against a 530d which has pretty much always been the answer to the question "which executive saloon should I buy?".

The 911 is a lovely car for cruising in, but certainly not in the same league as the 5/6 series BMWs for motorway miles.

Soldato
For £20k I would buy a manual E90/E92 M3.

Ah yes. Of course. Because that nails both his comfort end economic needs.

For £20k, why not just get a Bently Continental GT, or an RS6 or a Jag XFR, or a Touareg R50?. All can be had for £20k too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why would you only read the thread title, ignore the list of requirements, and go straight in with a ~8 year old sports car suggestion?

Because he knows nothing about the sort of car the OP is looking for but has to post something anyway? :p

Caporegime
Why would you think that without even looking?

I suppose you aint getting that post count up without posting... Who has the time to read the thread before posting nowadays? It's a brave new world.

Thread title says "what would you" not "what should I" :p

Because he knows nothing about the sort of car the OP is looking for but has to post something anyway? :p

I really don't think I need to worry about post count. And didn't you buy yours? :p

Soldato
Thread title says "what would you" not "what should I" :p

I really don't think I need to worry about post count. And didn't you buy yours? :p

Doesn't really matter how the title is worded though does it? Should still read the content before replying?

Soldato
Buying a diesel car in London at this current moment in time is not really the wisest of choices what with the congestion charge zone set to expand to outer London.

Associate
The emission zone does not apply to Euro 6 diesels.

Don't forget some areas are already charging a parking surcharge for diesels. I knew some councils now charged more for parking permits for a diesel, however walking around the west-end a few weeks back, I was surprised to see two levels of pricing for on-street parking.

I also don't think it will be long before we get something similar to the French Crit'Air clean air stickers in UK cities, limiting certain cars into the city on days with heavy pollution. Although it is a joke that my 360BHP hybrid is only rated one higher than a full EV.

Soldato
The emission zone does not apply to Euro 6 diesels.

Petrol vehicles that don't meet Euro 4 standards and diesel vehicles that do not meet Euro 6 standards will have to pay a ULEZ daily fee (£12.50 for cars, vans and motorbikes; £100 for buses, coaches and HGVs) to drive in the zone, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Approximately petrol cars more than 13 years old in 2019, and diesel cars more than 4 years old in 2019, will not meet the new standards. The total cost, with the congestion charge added (during the times of day it is applicable), for motorists with non-compliant cars will be £24 a day.

The ULEZ will apply to all vehicle types, except black taxis. It is estimated that introducing ULEZ in central London will result in nearly a 50 per cent reduction in road transport NOx emissions in 2020.

Furthermore, the zone will be expanded by October 2021.

I guess the easiest way to check is to use the tool:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

Back
Top Bottom