1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

atari's landfill rumor

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by cokecan, 26 Jan 2006.

1. cokecan

Sgarrista

this has more than likely been posted before but still, came across this on digg.com earlier today and thought i was quite amusing lol. typical games industry tbh rushing things :)

http://keithschofield.com/et/

2. roboffer

Sgarrista

Thats great :)

3. Big Spender

Wise Guy

lol, i wonder if thats true, maybe can make a small fortune out of some of the games :p

4. cokecan

Sgarrista

one of my friends reckons it actually is true, i reckon it could be :)

try and make a fortune selling them on egay? lol really wanna try E.T now just to see how poor it is

5. Jokester

Don

As far as I'm aware it's true that Atari buried millions of ET cartridges out in the desert somewhere.

Jokester

Edit:- True

6. cokecan

Sgarrista

lol unbelievable

"soooooooo, E.T was a complete waste of time and money. what shall we do with all these cartridges?........lets bury them and forget they ever existed!"

developers should take note of this. not to rush games out!!!

7. Werewolf

Commissario

You'll note that Atari were also relying on the sales of games to help pay for the hardware ;)

I've heard about that ET burial for years from various sources (including a couple of very reputable ones), but the video is great :)

Another example of jumping the gun with games would be the Maxwell family/Atari and Tetris, the BBC or C4 had a great show on it a while back, basically there were 3 or 4 companies interested in getting the licence, and Atari/Maxsoft (or whatever it was called) jumped the gun on getting it onto the market.

8. NokkonWud

Caporegime

Yeah, it's a well known story that they were burried.

9. Metalface Mark

Capodecina

I had ET when i had my 2600, i remember playing it a lot, but really not having much of an idea what i was supposed to be doing.

Pacman was worse, it was such a sloppy conversion, and i still played it for hours at a time :)

10. sja360

Mobster

yea i watched that aswell pretty good tv :D
    shame there isnt more gaming industry stories on tv. its not as if its totally talking about gaming all the time either.