1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon 64 3000 good enough for HDTV's ?

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Snow-Munki, 20 May 2006.

1. Snow-Munki

Capodecina

Hi,

just about to order new parts for my media PC. The CPU, going to get the Athlon XP 3000 due to the low price really, at £72.

whereas the 3200 is extra £20 for example.

2. OV3RCLOCK3R

PermaBanned

It'll be perfect for a hdtv setup. You can always overclock it aswell :p

3. sablabra

Wise Guy

Yup, I'm sure you can oc it to 2-2.2 ghz and still be able to lower the Vcore :D

HOLD ON! Why would you use socket a?? :eek:

4. Snow-Munki

Capodecina

whoops, mean 64. slight typo, going from an athlon xp 1800. :)

5. sablabra

Wise Guy

OK, good :) . As previously stated I would overclock it a few hundreds mhz, should do it at stock vcore or maybe you can even lower the vcore. Which is important in a HTPC :)

6. squiffy

Banned

Depending on your GFX card, and whether or not DIVX/XVID or WMV, should be fine, however scaling does require hefty amounts of CPU power, especially if you're going to use processing. I can run WMV 1080P on 6150 with 60% CPU load 2.2ghz 3700+ This isn't scaling though. Others have recommended 3ghz, which is entirely possible you need this. For DVD's 20% load. AVI's scaling to monitor in my sig around 50% also.

7. Snow-Munki

Capodecina

thanks, will use the onboard gfx card on the MSI motherboard as discussed earlier, nvidia 6150.

guess i could always upgrade the 3000 to whatever in future ?

8. squiffy

Banned

oh I thought you were talking about Silverstone cases, must've been someone else.
    yup apparently the board supports X2, but I guess need pure speed rather than dual core which isn't really used for a HTPC (unless doing video recording and playback at the same time from different channels) I doubt the extra few hundred megahertz will help if it's juddering if scaling/processing is enabled. I guess a faster graphics card with hardware acceleration will help more than a faster core CPU upgrade.

btw going to try out a ATI PCIE X300, compare with CPU overhead in video. Going to install on another HD, don't fancy ATI drivers messing up Nvidia GFX when I go back.