• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ati 5970 help:)

Associate
OP
i don't remember seeing battleforge for 5970's? i do vaguely remember it being offered with some of the cheaper cards, maybe it was only a short time deal?

your 5970 will eat dirt 2 alive btw

i saw it on an unboxing on youtube i guess it was limit time or just america i dno. and good to hear it i loved the first dirt i didnt buy the second for xbox so it will be nice to play it :D its a 10 gig download though which isnt a problem really but it would have been nice to have a disc

Soldato
As my 5850 clocked don't run gta smooth :(
Pain really..
Sapphire 5970 down to £495.99 now :eek:
Tempting :D can the volts be put up on this card.
I guess it can be clocked easy to 5870 spec, as the 5970 has lower core and ram clocks.

What CPU are you running? I had an i7 system with a 9800GTX and it ran great - in this game CPU power (and 3 cores or more) makes much more difference than graphics power.

Associate
What CPU are you running? I had an i7 system with a 9800GTX and it ran great - in this game CPU power (and 3 cores or more) makes much more difference than graphics power.

Well after messing around, i changed 8aa to 4aa, which helped loads.
bfc2 runs a lot smoother now. i put it back to stock for now. im playing the new gta. runs crap. must need some power to run smoother
I really fancy getting that Sapphire 5970, i like abit more grunt :D
And add it to the 5850 lol :p
I know a place that does them abit cheaper. but i like O/C, coz there service in very good. And RMA'S are exellent. :)

Associate
OP
GTA is just Crap really lol its badly optimised i heard with a lot of ram it runs smoothly though ive just orderd my parts i just sold my DELL XPS for 600 and ive orderd

i7 920 2.66ghz (going to overclock to 4ghz)
p6t Deluxe V2 motherboard
6 gig corsair dominator ram
Coolermaster Haf 932 case
H50 Corsair CPU cooler
lots of extra fans
Corsair Ram Cooler

and im going to put in my
850Tx corsair Psu
ati 5970
and blu ray drive etc.

parts arrive Friday cant wait.

Man of Honour
GTA is just Crap really lol its badly optimised i heard with a lot of ram it runs smoothly though ive just orderd my parts i just sold my DELL XPS for 600 and ive orderd

H50 Corsair CPU cooler
lots of extra fans
Corsair Ram Cooler

850Tx corsair Psu
ati 5970
and blu ray drive etc.

Yeah, I can run GTA 4 maxed out - but tbh it looks like ****. Just Cause 2 looks so much better AND scales much better.

Associate

H50 Corsair CPU cooler
lots of extra fans
Corsair Ram Cooler

850Tx corsair Psu
ati 5970
and blu ray drive etc.

I've got the P6t Deluxe V2 motherboard :p nice board. and a 5970.
runs nice.
There's a new update bios now.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Associate
I'm also thinking of buying one of these 5970 as they seems sweet. I've got one issue tho... Why do they have to put those tacky stickers on the cards, especially the Sapphire cards? It just cheapens the look. Is it possible to remove those stickers?

Associate
I am selling my HD5970 BE at the moments on ebay as I tried a GTX480 a few days ago and I was REALLY suprised at how smooth the games were in comparison, I since put the 5970 back in and although it has higher framerates I find the gameplay not smooth (in some titles) namely

GTA4
Episodes from liberty city,
crysis
Crysis warhead
Metro 2033

Other games I saw no difference:

BF2 BC2
Mass Effect 2

it's strange! I have had the 5970 since January, and then before it I had a 4870X2 so I have been using multi-gpu for ages, going to single GPU I have definately noticed a difference!

Don't get me wrong the 5970 is a mega powerful card, but other options should be tried too. Some have mentioned the 480 has higher minimum FPS maybe this might be it.

Associate
I'm also thinking of buying one of these 5970 as they seems sweet. I've got one issue tho... Why do they have to put those tacky stickers on the cards, especially the Sapphire cards? It just cheapens the look. Is it possible to remove those stickers?

It is yes. but they might void the warrenty.
It don't look that bad at all. plus when it's in the case, you dont even see the sticker.

I am selling my HD5970 BE at the moments on ebay as I tried a GTX480 a few days ago and I was REALLY suprised at how smooth the games were in comparison, I since put the 5970 back in and although it has higher framerates I find the gameplay not smooth (in some titles) namely

GTA4
Episodes from liberty city,
crysis
Crysis warhead
Metro 2033

Other games I saw no difference:

BF2 BC2
Mass Effect 2

it's strange! I have had the 5970 since January, and then before it I had a 4870X2 so I have been using multi-gpu for ages, going to single GPU I have definately noticed a difference!

Don't get me wrong the 5970 is a mega powerful card, but other options should be tried too. Some have mentioned the 480 has higher minimum FPS maybe this might be it.

Hmmm, what settings did you have when using the 5970 ?
I tried the 480, and found the 5970 to be much better card.
I guess we all have are own views :D
Be interesting what settings you had in the CCC.

In mine i set it as,
AA- applications/ with filter set to (box) (as there is no need to change this to anything else, i.e Narrow-tent etc, as it kills performance. having this set to box, didn't change the quality in my eyes.

AF- applications
AI- standard.
Midmap Detail- Quality
Anti-Analising Mode- Quality (which is supersampling)
Then maxed in game settings.
Runs exellent :)

I have always used nvidia cards. since i tried this ati, made me relise there is to much going on in the nvida control panel compared to ati CCC settings when all you got to do in the CCC settings is choose 3D, the click all, then change the setting like i said above, all to whatever you like.
Just found it less confussing :p

I think some people will have problems if not set up proper in either CCC or nvidia control panel.
I just think from losts of testing, the 5970 is the better card.
But hey, we all have are own views :)
I also tried a 5850 with the 5970.. blimy, that kicks ass :)

Cheers.

Associate
It is yes. but they might void the warrenty.
It don't look that bad at all. plus when it's in the case, you dont even see the sticker.

Hmmm, what settings did you have when using the 5970 ?
I tried the 480, and found the 5970 to be much better card.
I guess we all have are own views :D
Be interesting what settings you had in the CCC.

In mine i set it as,
AA- applications/ with filter set to (box) (as there is no need to change this to anything else, i.e Narrow-tent etc, as it kills performance. having this set to box, didn't change the quality in my eyes.

AF- applications
AI- standard.
Midmap Detail- Quality
Anti-Analising Mode- Quality (which is supersampling)
Then maxed in game settings.
Runs exellent :)

I have always used nvidia cards. since i tried this ati, made me relise there is to much going on in the nvida control panel compared to ati CCC settings when all you got to do in the CCC settings is choose 3D, the click all, then change the setting like i said above, all to whatever you like.
Just found it less confussing :p

I think some people will have problems if not set up proper in either CCC or nvidia control panel.
I just think from losts of testing, the 5970 is the better card.
But hey, we all have are own views :)
I also tried a 5850 with the 5970.. blimy, that kicks ass :)

Cheers.

That's really interesting, I am sure I just left the CCC set to defaults but to be sure I will stick it back in and check again. To be honest I would prefer to keep the 5970 as I will lose loads of money selling it on ebay!!!

It's just things seemed smoother! especially GTA 4 and Crysis / warhead.

i'll put it back in and try the settings you gave, and report back!

edit: Have you tried the games I listed?

Associate
That's really interesting, I am sure I just left the CCC set to defaults but to be sure I will stick it back in and check again. To be honest I would prefer to keep the 5970 as I will lose loads of money selling it on ebay!!!

It's just things seemed smoother! especially GTA 4 and Crysis / warhead.

i'll put it back in and try the settings you gave, and report back!

edit: Have you tried the games I listed?

Yeah i have. GTA isn't that well optimized anyway.
How did you unistall you're drivers ?

In what kind of order etc?

Associate
Yeah i have. GTA isn't that well optimized anyway.
How did you unistall you're drivers ?

In what kind of order etc?

Right well I just uninstalled the Nvidia Drivers then swapped the cards out then reinstalled the Ati drivers 10.4.

I made sure all the settings were default as you said. But pushed AA up to quality

I then when into crysis warhead 1920 x 1200 @ enthusiast

it was the same sort of performance (it's the icy bit where you find the big shipwreck covered in ice) the fps dips ect. SO then here's the wierd bit, I enabled 2 X AA and Vsync ingame, an now it runs flawlessly and really smooth!!

How strange, anyway I overclocked the 5970 and loaded up GTA 4, it certainly runs better but I still think that games runs better on the nvidia card, but it's not horrible. I will test some more, but maybe i think i will keep the 5970..... decisions decions!!!

Associate
Right well I just uninstalled the Nvidia Drivers then swapped the cards out then reinstalled the Ati drivers 10.4.

I made sure all the settings were default as you said. But pushed AA up to quality

I then when into crysis warhead 1920 x 1200 @ enthusiast

it was the same sort of performance (it's the icy bit where you find the big shipwreck covered in ice) the fps dips ect. SO then here's the wierd bit, I enabled 2 X AA and Vsync ingame, an now it runs flawlessly and really smooth!!

How strange, anyway I overclocked the 5970 and loaded up GTA 4, it certainly runs better but I still think that games runs better on the nvidia card, but it's not horrible. I will test some more, but maybe i think i will keep the 5970..... decisions decions!!!

I'd keep the ati, but hey up2 you. as you could always add a 5850/5870 when prices come down. when i did add the 5850, it gave a huge boost. smooth as silk. problem with GTA, it's just so badley optimized game.
I brought the newer gta, gay tony etc one. and fun game yes, but it just don't support AA. maybe they did this coz they knew if it did support aa, it would be not playable lol who knows.

what did you use to overclock. what volts etc.
I'm having issues with my overclock. and i really don't know why.

I tried core 850, mem 1200. stock/ and 1.260 volts. and my screen goes all funny, crashes in Heaven Benchmark v2.0.
but on stock it's fine with that and games.
I'm bit shocked at that. i read ppl get good overclocks.
maybe i have a bad card etc lol
I have good cooling in the case on my antec 1200.

P.s.
Funny thing is, my so called Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 OC, OC meaning overclocked. is 725 stock, and not 735 it's meant to be lol

Last edited:
Associate

what did you use to overclock. what volts etc.
I'm having issues with my overclock. and i really don't know why.

I tried core 850, mem 1200. stock/ and 1.260 volts. and my screen goes all funny, crashes in Heaven Benchmark v2.0.
but on stock it's fine with that and games.
I'm bit shocked at that. i read ppl get good overclocks.
maybe i have a bad card etc lol
I have good cooling in the case on my antec 1200.

P.s.
Funny thing is, my so called Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 OC, OC meaning overclocked. is 725 stock, and not 735 it's meant to be lol

My sapphire 5970 oc runs @ 1.15 volts for 900/1250, it will get to 990 core @ 1.3 vcore but is not entirely stable until I get it below 950 which it can do even with vcore down to @ 1.23v so something strange there - I have a corsair HX1000 psu so that should be OK but maybe it can't really push the amps needed through the 6pin + 8pin which makes it flakey at higher clocks/voltage???

Associate
My sapphire 5970 oc runs @ 1.15 volts for 900/1250, it will get to 990 core @ 1.3 vcore but is not entirely stable until I get it below 950 which it can do even with vcore down to @ 1.23v so something strange there - I have a corsair HX1000 psu so that should be OK but maybe it can't really push the amps needed through the 6pin + 8pin which makes it flakey at higher clocks/voltage???

I'm running a 850w. this one.. so i know that should be fine. http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2543

The card is meant to be this OC one, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-221-SP&tool=3

But it clearly isn't lol it's the not OC one they sent me.
So i'm within my 7 day returns, so for that reason i'm going to RMA it.
Then get another one. :rolleyes:

Associate
So you got everything max and runs smooth ?

As my 5850 clocked don't run gta smooth :(
Pain really..
Sapphire 5970 down to £495.99 now :eek:
Tempting :D can the volts be put up on this card.
I guess it can be clocked easy to 5870 spec, as the 5970 has lower core and ram clocks.

With the Sapphire card they include a link to the software to use to clock the sapphire card up further from the supplied settings :)

(not the CCC overclock option)

Associate
Back
Top Bottom