• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 6000 series, possibly by end of year!

Soldato
If we ever see 5890s just like the 4870 got a 4890 refresh I will be interested. Im tempted to go crossfire 5870s but I just can't help thinking that this next series of ATI cards are really gonna trump Nvidia big style.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Again, we are talking about new tech but nothing to test them:confused: I m guessing my two HD4890s are wasted even today, thats my feeling anyway.

personaly I think I ll get a HD5870 than leave it till the HD7k (unless NV gets their finger out)

Associate
Yeah its all good that they are releasing a new refresh etc... But hire a better drivers team there drivers are awful and my cousin wont stop nagging at me about the amount of problems hes having with dynamic lighting and shadows :/

Soldato
Why do people care about tessellation?
You can honestly say you can see the difference at game speeds and not just staring at screenshots?

Caporegime
Again, we are talking about new tech but nothing to test them:confused: I m guessing my two HD4890s are wasted even today, thats my feeling anyway.

personaly I think I ll get a HD5870 than leave it till the HD7k (unless NV gets their finger out)

Your two 4890's have plenty of life in them yet. They out perform a 295 in quite a lot of titles.

Soldato
Performance takes transistors, architecture changes account for VERY little performance difference, its all about more transistors, Fermi is HUGE, theres exactly no where at all for them to go in terms of a continuation of Fermi, which would require more shaders, more transistors and more size. It can't make the current one at a profit, one half as big again would basically be unmakeable, remember the current Fermi can't release a single fully enabled 512shader part because yields are so bad, no way in hell they could make a 768shader one.

There will not be a new "fermi" until 28nm, there "could" be a new Nvidia architecture on 40nm, they need something FAR more compact with much more performance per transistor used, and really no one can see that happening.

As for a refresh, where does it say refresh exactly, 6xxx series, not a 5970/5990, its likely to be bigger, but not massively better.

LOL there is FAR more room for improvement to increase chip performance in terms of design than there is in process technology for silicon.

Chips today have a LONG way to go.

Associate
I am like 99% certain that ATI 6k will upgrade UVD2 to UVD3.

Maybe it will be a big step but really uvd1,2 covered a lot of territory there is not a lot left to accelerate in terms of blu-ray decoding.

Unlikely but my hope is that UVD3 will have things like native hardware for dvd,flash,mp4 cleanup and advanced upscaling features. (more then just stretching pixels)

I dont care about video features for gaming cards but a summer 2011 28nm 64xx with UVD3 will upgrade my TV gt220 quite nicely at very low power.

In the meantime in case someone does not know how.

MPCHC can do a lot now and really very efficiently. I can do all except sharpen complex 2 with an intel gma 4500 on a 1080p video.

Get newest x86 or 64 bit version here:

http://www.xvidvideo.ru/

open video in MPCHC -right click screen- shaders-combine shaders- add:

-yv12 chromo upsampling
-bt.601.>709
-sharpen complex 1 or 2 (1- for xvid or 2- for high def video)

"control P" to toggle it on and off. the results may amaze you.

Note if in your graphics card driver control panel you have edge-enhance and de-noise (or with nvidia I think it is called sharp and deblock) cranked up this will look awful since they will all be working at once. Even though MPCHC sharpeners are technically inferior algo's I found the results much more balanced.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really hope the Radeon 6400 series are half decent as the 5450 was essentially a 4550 with DirectX11 tacked on and no actual increase in performance. That's rather disappointing considering they shrank a process.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
Your two 4890's have plenty of life in them yet. They out perform a 295 in quite a lot of titles.

I would but a few things, power, heat...some games hate crossfire. they are my only problems :p

heres the thing, so does the HD5870 and with being a lot cooler and needing less power.

Caporegime
I would but a few things, power, heat...some games hate crossfire. they are my only problems :p

heres the thing, so does the HD5870 and with being a lot cooler and needing less power.

Yeah, true. You could do that or give them a clean first if you haven't already, just in case there's loads of dust contributing towards higher temps etc. Lower temps = lower fan speed = less noise. :)

Associate
id like to see an evolution of the current gen. If ati release a 5880 or 5890 with more shaders lets say over 2200 and some more clock speed then it will be a nice card to crossfire and extend the life of a system all the way into the 7 series cards

Soldato
There's more to video cards then just out right performance just look at ‘eyefinity’ for example that has uses and appeal beyond the traditional PC Gaming crowd. So the next generation of video cards may not bring the huge leaps in performance that we’ve enjoyed in the recent past but they could bring newer and exciting technical developments

Associate
There's more to video cards then just out right performance just look at ‘eyefinity’ for example that has uses and appeal beyond the traditional PC Gaming crowd. So the next generation of video cards may not bring the huge leaps in performance that we’ve enjoyed in the recent past but they could bring newer and exciting technical developments

yup.

i think next gen consoles will be big on 3d games.

but there again pc will run those games at top settings and in eyefinity of if so desired.

then there is the mod scene also for pc.

multiscreen gaming must be experienced though and tbh once you already have 1 monitor if you could get another two for less than the price of a next gen console

Don
Prise goes to Greebo for the first to mention Nvidia in a ATI thread,
Well Done :D

Edit:

No your not, i thought this was the first page!
I get todays spanner award :)

Back
Top Bottom