• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 6000 series, possibly by end of year!

Associate
Frankly rather then Eyefinity since 3 screens is overkill for my tastes I would be happy with monitors that come with "double wide" two 720p or 1080p panels next to each other with just a tiny line down the middle but not two plastic monitor borders like we have now. The reason we have to jump from 1-3 is otherwise the stupid monitor border will splits your main character screen in half looking pretty stupid.

I really hope 6k causes ATI to do some house cleaning on old issues.

I tried to setup Eyefinity yesterday turns out one of your monitors has to have display port in or you have to buy an expensive "Active" adapter to convert the display port to something else. You can only simultaneously use 2 of the 3 DVI-DVI-HDMI.

Also I really hope the 6k comes with some internal or driver workaround for this issue with dx10 - 1080p - 60hz - HDMI connections. Where dx10 grabs the first 1080 listing in the EDID listing which is often (depending on monitor) 1080p 24 or 1080i 30 or in my case 1776x1000x50hz listed as 1080p.. very annoying.

Its not really anyone companies fault but Nvidia found someway to make their drivers push 1080p 59/60hz to the front of the list so dx10 grabs it every-time It only took them a few months back in 2008 when the problem showed up. ATI has still not gotten it sorted out.

note: If you use DVI-DVI or VGA or in games where you can select resolution and refresh rate or if your monitor maker made 1080p 60hz the first on the EDID list this issue does not happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well if shader numbers are not increasing a huge amount we could see improvements to:

Cost
Power consumption
Clocking

If its a mix of the above then they will be welcome IMO.

Soldato
3d on consoles would suck.

They tend to render at either 30fps or 60fps, 3d on computers shutters on the glasses which effectivly halves the fps (hence the 120hz monitors) so that would mean 15 or 30fps *yuck*

Associate
My ti4400 came with 3d shutterglasses even then CRT with 120hz were rare but growing but then LCD came along and derailed the train for sometime. and LCD have only recently become feasible again for 120hz.

Back
Top Bottom