• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Has Announced Its Open Stereo 3D Initiative at GDC 2010

bee

bee

Associate
i believe its more expensive than nvidias option because you need to buy the drivers and the glasses seperately, also you need to flash your 5xxx series card with a bios with proper 2d clocks to work in 120hz, hardly confidence inspiring

bee

bee

Associate
bee where's that info from?

well you need to buy a set of drivers, for instance iz3d drivers from here - http://www.iz3d.com/licenses, so thats £32 to enable shutter output which bit cauldron glasses will be and they aren't gonna be cheap. if they're £70 then its roughly same as nvida, anymore then its gonna be more than nvidia

120hz bios flash for ati cards is a well known problem, nice Q&A

Permabanned
well you need to buy a set of drivers, for instance iz3d drivers from here - http://www.iz3d.com/licenses, so thats £32 to enable shutter output which bit cauldron glasses will be and they aren't gonna be cheap. if they're £70 then its roughly same as nvida, anymore then its gonna be more than nvidia

120hz bios flash for ati cards is a well known problem, nice Q&A

You're just speculating.

Just because IZ3D is involved, it doesn't mean you have to buy their drivers.

Other companies are also involved...

Associate
I would find it humourous if this won out over the NVIDIA 3D Vision tech. 3D Vision is good but the fact that it is proprietary isn't great tbh, especially considering the 3D Blu-Ray standards and such. There really needs to be a convergence of these technologies.

Soldato
lol OPEN. gotta love ati bs again. they are quite late in the party like nvidia is on the dx11

nVidia have beein doing3D for longer but not using the same tech as these new glasses. You can't even get more than a handful of 120hz screens yet so I don't see how this is late.

Not including Eyefinity or onboard HDMI and sound etc.

bru

bru

Soldato
I would find it humourous if this won out over the NVIDIA 3D Vision tech. 3D Vision is good but the fact that it is proprietary isn't great tbh, especially considering the 3D Blu-Ray standards and such. There really needs to be a convergence of these technologies.

I understand what your saying, but please can somebody explain to me how this new system from ATI isn't proprietary, I mean this is going to be Incorporated into the ATI drivers to work on ATI graphics cards. Its not as if your going to be able to plug in a matrox video card and get this to work now is it.

Associate
I understand what your saying, but please can somebody explain to me how this new system from ATI isn't proprietary, I mean this is going to be Incorporated into the ATI drivers to work on ATI graphics cards. Its not as if your going to be able to plug in a matrox video card and get this to work now is it.

It's not ATi's system...
They are announcing support for several/all third party peripherals unlike what nVidia are doing and forcing you to use their own active shutter glasses and no support for anything else.

Matrox could use exactly the same equipment as what ATi will be using provided they update their drivers for it.

Picture it this way - with ATi you will be able to mix and match all sorts of shutters/lenses/monitors to find something that works for you. There will be plenty of competition which will spur on advancement and most importantly price wars.

With nVidia you have no choices.

Associate
So much misinformation in this thread.
You can use the DDD & IZ3D drivers with both Nvidia & ATI hardware, no one is forcing you to use either. However Currently the 3rd party drivers do not work with 120hz lcd screens.

With ATI you currently have few choices which are very expensive, such as iz3d's special monitors (not available in the uk) and dual projectors etc.
Nvidia offer all the same solutions, Plus the cheaper and far easier to use 3DVision solution.

Associate
This can only be a good thing. I was seriously looking at getting into 3d but I wanted to upgrade to an ati and the displays are abit to expensive considering the picture quality isn't perfect. Hopefully this should help "open" the market and get more people making 120hz displays. Will be re-consider the plunge in the summer I think.

Permabanned
I understand what you're saying, but please can somebody explain to me how this new system from ATI isn't proprietary, I mean this is going to be Incorporated into the ATI drivers to work on ATI graphics cards. It's not as if you're going to be able to plug in a matrox video card and get this to work now is it.

Yes, that's the point.

You may as well say that HDMI and displayport are ATi technologies as well, it's exactly the same situation.

ATi announcing support for something.

I bet bitstreaming HD audio is a proprietary ATi technology too?

Back
Top Bottom