• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI or NVIDIA

Soldato
Graeme43 said:
I thought the card would protect itself from overheating :confused:
It does have VPU recover but that's for situations when a fan is actually attached. ;) These things can go to 85ºc with the stock cooler, so I dread to think of how hot it was practically without any cooling at all. :( When VPU recover did kick in and the PC rebooted, it was already too late, and I was met with a garbled POST and Windows screen.

Associate
Úlfhednar said:
It does have VPU recover but that's for situations when a fan is actually attached. ;) These things can go to 85ºc with the stock cooler, so I dread to think of how hot it was practically without any cooling at all. :( When VPU recover did kick in and the PC rebooted, it was already too late, and I was met with a garbled POST and Windows screen.

Probably over 100C :( as that when the stock fan kicks in to 100% so I assume it would be possible to live at 100C for a while at least :(

Soldato
Graeme43 said:
Probably over 100C :( as that when the stock fan kicks in to 100% so I assume it would be possible to live at 100C for a while at least :(
I've heard of them being stable at 120ºc before so it was probably way above that. I wouldn't actually be surprised if it managed to approach 200ºc and literally melt lots of the transistors on the chip.

Associate
I just got an X1800Xt & would you believe it has REDUCED the noise my PC makes ? I had an AGP Inno 6600GT - it had a different cooler to the ref one which was MUCH louder in a constant high - pitched whine way. Even playing games the 1800 XT is quieter - I guess I just got used to a noisy PC.

Associate
OP
i might by this custom built to my spec and this is what ive choosen dont worry i havent bought it yet i am in bout 3 days.

System Overview

System Case: Vantage Inspire Midi Case (4 Bay)
Power Supply: 400W PSU
Motherboard: Asrock K8NF4G-SATA2 Motherboard (Skt 754)
Processor: AMD Sempron 64-Bit 3400+ (Skt 754)
System Memory: 1Gb DDR400 PC3200 Memory (1x 1Gb)
Hard Drive One: 80Gb Serial ATA300 7200RPM
Hard Drive Two: Please Select
Removeable Storage Devices: Floppy Disc Drive
CD Device One: CDRW Drive (52x32x52)
CD Device Two: Please Select
Video Card: GeForce 7300GS 256Mb DDR + DVI/TV
PCI Devices: Please Select
PCI Devices: Please Select
Keyboard & Mouse Set: Please Select
Speakers: Please Select
Monitor: Please Select
Operating System: Windows XP Home SP/2 - OEM
Office Software: Please Select
AntiVirus Software: Please Select
Utilities Software: Please Select
Additional Services: Please Select
System Warranty: Ad-Vantage 5 Years Return to Base Warranty
Additional Support Services: One Week Trial 24/7 Unlimited Telephone Software Support
Build Services: Standard 7 to 10 Working Day Build

its only £345.00

Man of Honour
Wont be able to do any sort of modern gaming on that, if any gaming at all really. The 7300's are very poor and the 1gb of RAM will hold you back in more modern games. The socket 754 processor and board there are long LONG dead and shouldn't be invested in at this time. Just go around the ocuk shop picking out items, I managed to spec up a system with a 3700+, 1gbram, a x1800xt and a decent psu and case for only a little over £400.

Soldato
HIS ATI Radeon X1900 GT ICEQ 3 SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-057-HT)
Price: £159.95 (£187.94 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Admittedly thats £20 over your budget (incl vat) but I would personally go for that one if at all possible

(just had to put my 2p in rather than saying exactly whats been said above numerous times ;) )

Back
Top Bottom