• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI Radeon Guide and Catalyst Driver Updates

Associate
This is a much needed guide.

This thread should proove very popular. Especially to a 59 year old rookie many thanks. Been researching this subject fo some time.....not easy

Soldato
I dare say that its NOT as vital no, however...

My main 939 Setup was running 2x1GB crucial PC3200.

I swapped them out for 4x1GB Corsair 3200

The system was definitely a little slower and on tests I found that the corsair at the Mobo's stock BIOS settings is actually only running at 65% of that of the crucials Stock settings.

So, this required me to do some tweaks etc and bring it back up to speed.

So, if the difference is visibly noticable there.

However, on my 775 setups, in all honestly I dont bother tweaking at all... I no longer overclock, and the only adjustments I do in the BIOS is Boot Device, and disabling the COM / PRT Ports and the Floppy.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, its not really a concern these days regarding bios settings, you have to remember that i started this thread owning a 9700Pro, and there were a few bios tweaks that helped many agp cards out including Nvidia and PowerVR.

These days however , its a different story and for better or worse i think we are pretty much plug and play with the cards we own today.

Associate
Hi guys I have CCC 9.8 and in device manager it says my driver version is 8.640.0.0 but when trying to run L4D in steam, steam tells me my drivers are out of date version 8.14.10.685.

Anyone with ccc 9.8 confirm my drivers in device manager are correct and up todate?

(anyone else notice the same in steam?)

Associate
sorry for double posting but ignore the above, I didn't realise direct 3d driver would be a different number to the catalyst drivers.

*blushes big time* :rolleyes:

Associate
Just want to point out that I followed the settings from the very first post in this thread, namely PCI-Express 105mhz

I lost almost 50% performance of the card.

Set it back to 100mhz and all is good again

3DMark Vantage P16,406

Antec Nine Hundred - Antec NeoPower 650w - Asus P5KE-Wifi - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.84ghz - 4 x 1gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066mhz @ 1134mhz - 2 x WD Raptors RAID0 - ATi Radeon 5870 925/1300 - Soundblaster X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Edition - Logitech Z5500 Digital Surround Sound - Samsung P2450 24" 1920x1080 - Windows 7 x64 Ultimate - 3DMark Vantage 16,406 3DMark06 20,749

Last edited:
Associate
Im going to buy a new vga for my new pc.
Im inclined to buy the upcoming radeon 5770 for all the features wll come with, the low power usage and the fact that Im currently using an integrated vga by ati and that will ease up the installation,and I may end up using userful desktop multiplier to setup 2 user with the same pc.
The only cons is that reading on the forum it seems that some people ishaving problemi with atiwine.
What do you suggest?
The alternative is a nvidia gtx 260.

Associate
OK so does anyone have any idea what is going on with my drivers?

Almost every day I now have to do a system restore due to my ATI drives I think? As the computer boots up as if they are not installed and I get poor graphics every so often.

Message I get when I try to start ATI CCC to see what is happening.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI graphics driver is not functioning properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware.

The other note I get in the device manager is,

Quote,
Device Status. This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Now when I do a system restore back a few days to a week, it works fine again, all be it for a day or so.

So any ideas? Is this a driver issue?

I have been having the exact same issues. For the ati drivers i found that a windows defender update was affecting the drivers. The fix that worked for me was to download the ati drivers and install them in a new folder in the roughly the following pathway: C:\Program files (x86)\ati\new file\install here

this seemed to fix the problem for me. I am still getting error code 10 come up and it has been suggested that the PSU isn't powerful enough so the graphics card shuts down. If you go into the event log you can set up a message to appear when this happens. Do this. For me it happens just after you log on and when you do anything requiring a fair bit of graphics power. I am getting a spare PSU and will connect this solely to the graphics card to see if this solves the issue, i will let you know how i get on

Associate
Error code 10

I have tested the individual power needs of each component and check this against my power supply. The error code 10 is due to a lack of power which causes the graphics card to temporarily shut down. To resolve this you need to upgrade the power supply.

there are also several other issues related to error code 10 which are explained on the microsoft website and with the solutions for them!

Associate
Using a 4850 with the 10.1 driver (inc fix) and my machine keeps rebooting, had no problems with the previous release, anyone know where i can find i said previous release?

Associate
Found at what the problem was, since i bought the card its always run a bit hot (58-60 degrees when idle upto about 85 loaded) and tonight after numerous BSOD's i decided to take the card apart, lo and behold a big lump of grey slime that was rock hard was sat staring at me. Removed it, reapplied some new stuff and now down to 34 degrees idle :)

Back
Top Bottom