1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attorney General fined £5,000 for employing illegal immigrant

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by dirtydog, 22 Sep 2009.

1. dirtydog

PermaBanned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8268101.stm

Gordon Brown has given her his backing to keep her job.

Does anyone buy her version of events that she didn't know full well it was an illegal immigrant she was employing?

Isn't her position completely untenable and shouldn't she resign or be sacked immediately?

2. Chimerical

Soldato

I don't personally see why it matters.

3. Rich_L

Capodecina

Load of fuss over nothing arising from the Daily Mail sticking its nose into people's business under the guise of 'public service'.

I have to say I didn't know the law - and I bet there are thousands of people out there who employ cleaners, babysitters and suchlike and, if they checked at all in the first place, wouldn't have taken a copy of the documents in question.

If anything, £5,000.00 seems an awful lot of money for a pretty rubbish offence - if she was just a 'normal' member of the public I doubt any action would have been taken at all.

4. dirtydog

PermaBanned

You don't think it is important that the attorney general of all people, abides by the law?

5. dirtydog

PermaBanned

She did, though. And as I'm sure she would be the first to point out, ignorance of the law is no defence.

IIRC she was closely involved with drafting this very law personally!

Last edited: 22 Sep 2009
  6. Chimerical

Soldato

Depends. She may have a coke habit for all I know.

I don't see why employing an illegal immigrant is a massive crime and its no worse than all those MP's that got to keep their jobs despite being guilty of fraud.

7. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Perhaps people who are themselves immigrants tend to take a laxer approach to employing other immigrants, even if illegal.

I'm not sure why someone born outside the UK is allowed to hold her office at all, in fact.

8. Rich_L

Capodecina

I was waiting for that chestnut, oh HI! Agenda, nice to see you again!

9. RDM

Capodecina

As she was instrumental in drafting the law I am not entirely sure she will be able to use the "ignorance" angle. Having an Attorney General that has been found guilty of a law she brought through seems a bit odd but I can't really get all irate about it. Yet another nail in the "whiter than white" coffin though.

10. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Your not even trying to dress up your racist views now are you?

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. There's no argument over the steps she took to validate her housekeepers right to work, just that she forgot to take copies of the documentation. It hardly makes her position untenable. It's a technical breach not a moral one.

11. dirtydog

PermaBanned

No worse than not paying the congestion charge, apparently.

Funny, can you be fined ten grand and go to prison for two years, for not paying the congestion charge?

Quite.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article6844591.ece

12. dirtydog

PermaBanned

:confused: where have I made a racist remark?

13. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

The whole post?

14. Rich_L

Capodecina

That's what the news reports say, all I can find is that she was Home Office minister when the law was passed :p

Seriously though, from what I've read the job was arranged by her PA, the woman was married to a UK National, she paid tax and national insurance, the cleaner presented a passport (later found to be forged) and she didn't take a copy.

Pth - total non-story - handy for those with an AGENDA though.

15. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Are all immigrants non white?

Is criticising someone who happens to be non white, inherently racist?

No on both counts, of course.

16. RDM

Capodecina

Technically you didn't as nowhere did you mention race, just location.

However given your posting history and your far right views it isn't hard to see why the above could be construed as racist.

17. The Running Man

Caporegime

you do understand of course that when she was born there it was actually a british colony, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_colony

i dont think that birthplace is a determining factor here but to me this shows 2 things...

1, she is good at a job because she made laws that even she fauls foul of

2, she is not very good at following the law and therefore may lack common sense...

18. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Indeed.

19. Nodiggidy123

Mobster

i always thought in the eyes of the law that ignorance was no defence. as a result i fail to see why she still has a job even if she has been fined.

also the rules clearly say no personal insults which imo also includes calling someone racist. burnsy should know better. matters like this should be dealt with behind closed doors.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2009
  20. dirtydog

PermaBanned

That would be the Tories and the Lib Dems then, who agree with me that she should go? Funny, I'm not aware that either of those parties agree with my general views on race or immigration, yet they concur with me about this individual.