Audi or BMW?

Man of Honour
Biffa said:
Probably going against the grain but I'd rather have an A6 than a 5 series. :D

Often though this is entirely a decision based on image, or perceived image of either car. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've never driven a 97-03 5 Series - if you have I feel reasonably sure that if image was not a concern, you'd not select the A6 over it.

Permabanned
Sounds silly and probably is, but aside from all of the real stats and reasons when comparing Audis and BMWs, also aside from image. What it boils down to with me is that I'm sure I'd rather have a RWD car than a 4WD. I really want to get myself a RWD car so I can learn to drift.

In general though I prefer the looks of BMWs across the range to Audi, both are really well made good looking cars though and nice and fast.

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
Often though this is entirely a decision based on image, or perceived image of either car. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've never driven a 97-03 5 Series - if you have I feel reasonably sure that if image was not a concern, you'd not select the A6 over it.

See thats the problem, I have driven a 2000 525 estate, It doesn't do it for me on any level. It didn't do it for me, externally or especially internally. Its true I don't like the image either that much, but thats not a big minus just another negative in my book. Its probably just me, but neither car is something I would consider a "drivers car" despite the hyperbole of BM's marketing team.

The Audi does it for me, that size and up, I'm not a big fan of A4/3 series sized cars they are too cross purpose for me, an A6 is for what I would buy it for almost perfect in the models I would be looking at for what I want it to do.

As far as the other models are concerned, I'd rather have an A2 than an A Class, a A3 than a Compact, an A8 than a 7 series, and a Q7 than a X5.

As for the top end, again an RS4 of any model than a M3 and a RS6 than an M5. :)

Just me I guess. I like em.

Man of Honour
Audi. I love those RS4's and RS6's.

When I was comparing 3 series against the TT and A3 a few years back I found the finish of the Audi's better too.

Soldato
Beepcake said:
I'm hoping Audi pull something brilliant out of the hat for the RS6.. the RS4 is a little small for my tastes.
Well as I said on IRC the other day, they're working on a new 7-speed version of the DSG gearbox for their longitudinal engines (current DSG only works with transverse). If they could make one strong enough to cope with the RS4/RS6 that would make a truly awesome machine.

Soldato
Considering models that I could potentially own within my lifetime I'd go for an Audi. If money was no object it would be an Audi. If I had a big but not neverending wad of cash to spend it would be a BMW.

Hmmm... well the above makes sense to me anyway :p

Soldato
Biffa said:
As far as the other models are concerned, I'd rather have an A2 than an A Class, a A3 than a Compact, an A8 than a 7 series, and a Q7 than a X5.

Really? :/.... The A2 is a lot worse than the A Class is. Niether are great and both are underpowered, but... :rolleyes:

For me (only being a passenger in these cars) It will be 2ltr A4 area < BMW 320d area to the 3ltr < RS4 < M5. With the M3 purposely left out.

(I really like BM styling but not the image. I however think the Audi is a nicer place to be.)

Associate
Trifid said:
(I really like BM styling but not the image. I however think the Audi is a nicer place to be.)

For me this seems to be the inverse with regards to image- where I live anyway the number of A4 saloons has rocketed, seemingly being bought by those that used to give BMW its negative image. Plus I find that A4 drivers are far less likely to get out of my way on dual carriageways which is very irritating.

Associate
BMW:

in.jpg

Audi:

A43.0_interior_423_260.jpg

AUDI GOT PWNED! :p

Associate
Audi for me, IF I was the market for that class of car.

On a side note, although directly related...

Why is it people BANG on about the 'handling' of a car, when lets be honest at normal and legal speeds on a public road, the handling of the M3 and the S4 will be pretty much the same :confused:
Its only when these cars are being driven with vigor that the differences will show up.
Fox, almost every post about the BMW you post says it has near perfect handing, whilst I agree in principle, will it make a difference to your driving on the road? I think not.

Please people, stop banging on about 'test drive, track' handling at extremes, its absolutely pointless. MOST of this class of car, will not be driven to the point the handling is ever tested.

/sorry for the minor rantet

Associate
FakeSnake said:
Audi for me, IF I was the market for that class of car.

On a side note, although directly related...

Why is it people BANG on about the 'handling' of a car, when lets be honest at normal and legal speeds on a public road, the handling of the M3 and the S4 will be pretty much the same :confused:
Its only when these cars are being driven with vigor that the differences will show up.
Fox, almost every post about the BMW you post says it has near perfect handing, whilst I agree in principle, will it make a difference to your driving on the road? I think not.

Please people, stop banging on about 'test drive, track' handling at extremes, its absolutely pointless. MOST of this class of car, will not be driven to the point the handling is ever tested.

/sorry for the minor rantet

have you ever driven a BMW and an audi? you might get what we're on about then ;)

Associate
stig said:
have you ever driven a BMW and an audi? you might get what we're on about then ;)

Yes thanks, moth marques in many forms, from basic models up to and including the sports derivatives.

Did you actually read my post? I understand they are good, but in normal conditions neither are superior.

Back
Top Bottom