Audi owners in here!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
C6 A6 2.0 TDI 170PS

Been reading some horror stories about DMFs, oil pumps and injectors.
How common are these issues?

I'll contact the Audi dealer before I purchase to check service history and recalls.
Other than water leaking all over the MMI from the rear wash, what else is there to look out for on these?

Soldato
After how many miles would you guys get the disks and pads on an A3 changed/checked. Mine is making a little noise under braking and possibly pulling to one side.

Don't they have a warning light for this or is it something that should be solved before the light comes on?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
After how many miles would you guys get the disks and pads on an A3 changed/checked. Mine is making a little noise under braking and possibly pulling to one side.

Don't they have a warning light for this or is it something that should be solved before the light comes on?

Take the wheels off and have a look?

Or take it to a garage you trust for an honest opinion.

A reputable garage told me my S3's discs would need replacing within 2000 miles. I sold the car after covering 16000 miles and my local Indy only changed rear pads in that time.

YMMV

Last edited:
Soldato
Take the wheels off and have a look?

Or take it to a garage you trust for an honest opinion.

A reputable garage told me my S3's discs would need replacing within 2000 miles. I sold the car after covering 18,000 miles and my local Indy only changed rear pads in that time.

YMMV

I've only done 10k but I'm not exactly light on the brakes. It's a motability car so I don't pay if they need replacing but obviously I don't want to be booking it in if it's not needed. I'd rather not take the wheels off myself as I'd had no idea what I'm looking at myself.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I've only done 10k but I'm not exactly light on the brakes. It's a motability car so I don't pay if they need replacing but obviously I don't want to be booking it in if it's not needed. I'd rather not take the wheels off myself as I'd had no idea what I'm looking at myself.
Is the car new? I can't see why they would need replacing so soon. Is it an automatic? Do you use engine braking?

But if it's vibrating and pulling to the side, get it looked at.

Soldato
Is the car new? I can't see why they would need replacing so soon. Is it an automatic? Do you use engine braking?

But if it's vibrating and pulling to the side, get it looked at.

Yeah, got it in October, manual. The pulling could be something else I guess. I'll have to find a quiet flat road to try the brakes out. I wouldn't say it's vibrating, but there is definitely a slight scratching noise under braking.

Soldato
Been driving a 2015 Audi A1 125PS petrol manual loan car for the past few days, and I have to say that the engine is pretty incredible. A 70 mile round trip up the M25 and M1 to Luton airport netted me a 55.2MPG average. It has a decent amount of torque so overtaking isn't a chore, and it'll happily gain speed on an incline.

The clutch is pretty rubbish and has no feel so I'd have an S-Tronic one, but I'm getting used to it. The car seems to be a lot quieter than my S1, which I think might be down to the 17" Continental PremiumContact2s versus my 18" Bridgestone S001s.

Makes me wonder if my next car will have a lot of horsepower given how much I'm enjoying the decent MPG without feeling like I'm driving a snail with a saddle.

Last edited:
Associate
Been driving a 2015 Audi A1 125PS petrol manual loan car for the past few days, and I have to say that the engine is pretty incredible. A 70 mile round trip up the M25 and M1 to Luton airport netted me a 55.2MPG average. It has a decent amount of torque so overtaking isn't a chore, and it'll happily gain speed on an incline.

The clutch is pretty rubbish and has no feel so I'd have an S-Tronic one, but I'm getting used to it. The car seems to be a lot quieter than my S1, which I think might be down to the 17" Continental PremiumContact2s versus my 18" Bridgestone S001s.

Makes me wonder if my next car will have a lot of horsepower given how much I'm enjoying the decent MPG without feeling like I'm driving a snail with a saddle.

The lower-powered TFSI engines are pretty awesome, just enough power and great economy. Used to get around 60mpg in the A1 1.4 (122PS) on a long run which was amazing for a petrol I thought.

Traded my S1 in last week for an A3 2.0TDI (150PS) - just couldn't handle the economy figures any more, even driving it like a granny. Thought going to the A3 diesel would feel ridiculously slow but it's not so I'm pretty happy!

Soldato
The lower-powered TFSI engines are pretty awesome, just enough power and great economy. Used to get around 60mpg in the A1 1.4 (122PS) on a long run which was amazing for a petrol I thought.

Traded my S1 in last week for an A3 2.0TDI (150PS) - just couldn't handle the economy figures any more, even driving it like a granny. Thought going to the A3 diesel would feel ridiculously slow but it's not so I'm pretty happy!

The 2.0T petrol isn't very good with regards to fuel economy. My long term average in the S1 is 31.5MPG, and that's with approximately 75% motorway journeys over 4000 miles. I actually can't think of anything that the 2.0T in 230BHP form does particularly well, but the S1 puts a smile on my face so it's staying on the driveway for now :)

Having said that, it's been in Audi for 2 weeks while they try to sort out why my brakes squeal at low speeds while I'm not braking.

Associate
The 2.0T petrol isn't very good with regards to fuel economy. My long term average in the S1 is 31.5MPG, and that's with approximately 75% motorway journeys over 4000 miles. I actually can't think of anything that the 2.0T in 230BHP form does particularly well, but the S1 puts a smile on my face so it's staying on the driveway for now :)

Having said that, it's been in Audi for 2 weeks while they try to sort out why my brakes squeal at low speeds while I'm not braking.

The S1 was awesome to drive, though mine went back to Audi twice; once for issues with boost pressure and once for issues with the steering. Both sorted by them under warranty of course but when you lose a little confidence in a car that always sits at the back of your mind. May have got unlucky with mine but that coupled with the poor economy it had to go. Thankfully the very strong residuals meant there was barely any negative equity even though I'd only had it since October.

Soldato
Well, I had to leave my S3 for 3 days, and the only parking spot was under a tree. Yep, it got properly crapped on. I've cleaned it off, but the paintwork where the bird poo was is a bit less shiny than the rest. I'm told bird poo has acid in it or something? Is there an easy way to fix that, or is it just going to be one of those minor blemishes that adds character?

I think this is something I'll miss about owning a crapmobile. I didn't care how much it got crapped on by birds, I just let time clean it up. Having an actual nice car, where you actually care how it looks, it seems like a lot of work.

Soldato
So EVO Magazine tested a Golf R against the new Audi RS3 on track

The results are surprising, in summary (All quotes form the video)

• The Golf R batters the S3 in terms of driver enjoyment, so it's the car the RS3 has to prove itself against.
  • RS3 not as much fun as the Golf R
  • The RS3 is half a second slower than the Golf R
  • The Golf R is better on the brakes and carries more speed into the corners with less understeer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jWVTKYcP0

Soldato

I'm very happy with the economy from my 1.4T COD engine (the 150PS variant).

Did Bournemouth and back at the weekend, from Birmingham, and it averaged just over 50mpg door-to-door, which included a fair amount of stop/start in heavy jams on the M3 & M27. That's cruising at 70-75mph all the way, the economy does start to plummet once you get above 80mph so I just don't bother any more as you don't really get there much sooner.

Soldato
I'm very happy with the economy from my 1.4T COD engine (the 150PS variant).

Did Bournemouth and back at the weekend, from Birmingham, and it averaged just over 50mpg door-to-door, which included a fair amount of stop/start in heavy jams on the M3 & M27. That's cruising at 70-75mph all the way, the economy does start to plummet once you get above 80mph so I just don't bother any more as you don't really get there much sooner.

I only get 58/60 out of my 1.6TDI. All though it will happily do the same MPG at 70+.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
C6 A6 2.0 TDI 170PS

Been reading some horror stories about DMFs, oil pumps and injectors.
How common are these issues?

I'll contact the Audi dealer before I purchase to check service history and recalls.
Other than water leaking all over the MMI from the rear wash, what else is there to look out for on these?

Back
Top Bottom