Audi owners in here!

Man of Honour
I did an RS track day at the invite of Audi on Thursday morning last week at Oulton Park and before you ask I didn't take any pictures as it was torrential rain for the whole morning and I preferred toasty cars to wetness. It was effectively split into three one hour sessions made up of a slalom and braking test in RS6's and RS3's, a learn how to follow the line on circuit in A7 RS's and Q5 RS's and the final track session, a follow the leader thing in R8 V10 Pluses where you get in the cars and then follow a German chap from the factory as he takes you around the circuit at an ever increasing speed. It was a nice small group, 18 people in total split into 3 groups of 6, to which 2 of you shared cars. It was well run, brand new cars and though the weather was appalling it was a good morning.

The slalom course was all about testing the clever suspension on the RS6 and RS3 (so the man from Audi said) and was effectively a slalom course set out in the paddock area behind the pit garage. Go through that then you move to the high speed braking test, more cones where you slam the anchors on and steer right to show how clever the ABS is. Mild fun but frankly couple of goes and I had nailed it so got boring repeating. We had walkie talkies in the cars so we got a running commentary. I was joined by a chap who worked for Audi in Manchester, nice guy, no track experience but like me was happy to push the cars on the slalom and we had a laugh. I found the RS6 disappointing, didn't gel with it at all, though hardly it's best place to show what it does and the RS3 was more fun on this task. We did half and half so got to drive both cars on the test.

The second session was on the left hand loop at Oulton where they laid out some cones and you got to drive the circuit and a chap shouted out how well you were doing into the walkie talkies. It was soaking and we had the Q5 RS first, both me and said Audi chap felt it was horrible and I actually nearly had an 'event' first time out as it understeered at over 80mph when I hoped it would turn right. Terrible thing, utter waste of money and if you have just bought one all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. A7 however, good god that has some tuds! It pulled like a steam train, actually had relatively OK steering and moved around a bit. I got it loose at one point when Mr Intercom said "ooo bit slower next time" but by then we weren't listening and just having a riot. Epic autobahn thing, but ugly to my eyes.

Finally the fun part was 3 R8 V10's following Zee German around a SOAKING Oulton Park. This got really fun but I will come back to that in a minute....

...The attendees at the event were mixed. People like me (RS buyers), dealers people and TDI man who got a call 11th hour from his dealer. I arrived, sat down and had Mr Beard telling me how he had done loads of these and ...... no idea, fell off to sleep. Couple of chaps in RS4's who were looking at their next buy, chap in a Boxster but mixed bunch. I suspect I had the most experience there of track stuff, but I have learnt over the years to STFU when asked about such things. So back to these V10 R8's then...

We have a briefing from 2 gents. One zee main German, the second a former DTM racer (apparently) who I didn't recognise called Frank. Not any of the Franks I know (Biela, Stippler etc) but handy none the less and other drivers seemed to respect him so good enough for me. He asks just before we get in the cars "has anyone been here before" to which I said yes, few times. OK says well you know its a tough track, bad in the wet etc but have fun.

So we all dive into an R8, 2 to a car and head off with top bosh to follow him around the track. They have people watching around the track and we all on the walkie talkies. After first lap you pull right at the pit straight and change places but we expect to go around for 30 mins and pull in to swap drivers. Second lap and he heads into the pits and on the walkie talkie I hear "car 2 fast" to which I think who is this idiot ruining it for us all....when I realise its me in car 2! I pull in and he says you pull to the right all others follow me on to the track. Im sitting there thinking Oh sod it, Im getting thrown off again when out comes DTM driver and says right, you know what you're doing follow me. Off we go at pace, end up lapping the other cars twice and have a proper go for it. Really impressed chap next to me is loving it and when we swap over he tries to bin it 3 times but still has a proper go too, if somewhat slower but we still catch and pass the other lot. So good day, got terrible weather but had a proper run considering the weather and I have to say on track it was an epic tool. I never would carry such speed in my GT3 in those conditions or my current V10 Plus. Even when they other chap on his run decided lock up mid bend it sorted it, kept us on the track and no one died.

Soldato
I really like the Audi A8. It's getting on now, and expect Audi to replace it (knowing them they'll refresh it again and release it's replacement 3 years from now). I don't like how the screen is not integrated into the overall dashboard though.

Caporegime
Ah, fair enough. Like I said, I did consider a 3-series, but ultimately to get a saloon in the shorter footprint of an A3 sized platform doesn't leave a huge amount of choice.

At least this one is petrol, 4WD and doesn't have halogens. #amirite? :p

Soldato
At least this one is petrol, 4WD and doesn't have halogens. #amirite? :p

Fox must be on holiday. He hasn't been in here to tell you to stop buying new (average) Audis on PCP :p

I jest. I think you've made a good choice, and even though I did really like the new A4 that I had on loan for 5 weeks, I prefer smaller cars. The A3 saloon is definitely one of the very best looking too. In fact, it is the best looking when its closest rival is the CLA.

Caporegime
Fox must be on holiday. He hasn't been in here to tell you to stop buying new (average) Audis on PCP :p

I was thinking that, given the state of the "Ordered my new car thread" we had last week, I guess the Audi thread is a little safer than the general forum for Audi related purchases :p

The A3 saloon is definitely one of the very best looking too. In fact, it is the best looking when its closest rival is the CLA.

Completely agree about that, some might call it a little "safe" or "conservative" with it's styling, but at least it's not like the current crop of AMG over-styled Mercs.

Man of Honour
Meh, I think the A3 saloon is a good looking car - I've said before I think it's one of the picks of the Audi range.

That other thread was just a bit of a shame as I think it would have been possible for him to get more of what he wanted for the same money by going through a broker.

Associate
So, back to give Audi another chance. My last one was an 06 A3 Quattro TFSi S line which was great but had suspension hard enough to shatter your spine - anyone who's lived in Edinburgh will tell you that's not a good thing to have here. As a result I've spent the last 5 years in a Polo 1.2 TSi which was fantastic as a city car.

However...

With twins on the way a new house and car was in order and this time I had to have my "Mr Sensible" hat on. Although an RS tempted me in the end the wife kept me on track and I picked up the following on Saturday:

2014 (14) A4 Avant S line
2.0 Tdi Auto Multitronic
SatNav MMI

Totally different driving style but will suit us for a few years, but it's still a reasonably rapid vehicle and has the room we need.
So nice to be in a car that rides out bumps more than it hits them - the S line is firm but not ridiculous like the A3 was.
I was wary of the Multitronic, but the later ones seem to be reliable as long as they're serviced - certainly the gripes seem to be from the older models.

Associate
Yeh, I had a choice between a 2013 basic S Line with less miles or a high miler (45k) 2014 with MMI. We only do 8k a year so I took the 2014 on the basis that after 4 years it'll be around average miles anyway and MMI plus power operated boot on the 2014 models swung it for me.

Photos!

i6m59u.jpg

vmx9nq.jpg

dyra6o.jpg

wkgsc6.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh, I had a choice between a 2013 basic S Line with less miles or a high miler (45k) 2014 with MMI. We only do 8k a year so I took the 2014 on the basis that after 4 years it'll be around average miles anyway and MMI plus power operated boot on the 2014 models swung it for me.

Will get some photos up as soon as I can - seems the Autotrader advert has been pulled already so can't grab them.

If you've got the link then google may still have it cached; just enter the url in to google search, and then select the little triangle icon beside the link in the search results and it should give you the option to select cached

Caporegime
Well this week has been interesting. Nipped into the dealership to discuss adding the uprated audio to my order, only to find myself being presented with an almost £ for £ offer on an S3 saloon, albeit dropping hill hold assist from the spec.

Needless to say I've taken that offer up, only real spec differences are that I now get magnetic ride, audi sound system, and 19s, as well as am getting the car in Navarra blue rather than Daytona Grey. As said, I lose hill hold, but looking around I can fit that easily enough down the line (it's a switch, 3 wires and some VCDS coding).

Back
Top Bottom