Audi owners in here!

Soldato
It largely depends on your attitude to risk. The Audi warranty is excellent and has been largely a no-quibble experience - so I would always lean in the direction.

You will pay more at an Audi dealership, but it doesn’t mean you can’t haggle. The car should come freshly mot’d, serviced and any recalls carried out. The tyres and brakes require a specific level of life remaining or they will be replaced. Check the Used Approved t&cs. It will come with at least 1 years extended warranty, which can be extended further for around £500 I think. You can always haggle to get another year thrown in, I’ve done this in the past.

Something else to think about...even the youngest B8 RS4 is getting to an age where Audi dealers are less likely to retail them. Due to the costs involved getting them up to spec and having a warranty put in place, most dealers will steer clear or put them through the trade. So this will lessen your choices in this area.

There is a reasonable difference in price between the two you’ve picked, but the Audi dealer one is last of line with 25k miles less and the warranty for peace of mind. You’d really need to see them both to fully understand what deal you’re getting with each.

Associate
Thanks @naefeart - as always, boils down to how much I am willing to pay. Assuming both are serviced up to standard that is.

Did have a chat with a local indy retailer, he was pointing to these becoming more and more popular as people realise what they are vs. newer offerings.
Could be a car to really look after and keep.

Associate
Doing history checks on these is brilliant - owners love a personal plate don't they. Found two that have 3 owners and 3 plate changes each :p

R54 NOB looks like a good bet.

Soldato
Their attention to detail seems to be crap...

"This Audi RS6 that we have taken into our stock is an..."

RS4 mate.

i noticed this, but then much of the rest of the ‘blurb’ is utter rubbish as well and does nothing to actually sell the car. Just state the facts and condition, that’s all we need. They come over all Shakespeare and wordy in their sales add and it just puts you off.

Man of Honour
I sold my R8 to Sytner Group a few months back. I put a toe in the water on Wizzle and within 3 days it was gone, dealt with head of purchasing who turned up, valued, bid and arranged for it to be collected. New owner is enjoying it and modding it to his preferences. Currently sits lower, with spacers, black wheels and a big spoiler on its backside. Sure he will continue a great car.

Soldato
Thanks.

New car inbound...watch this space (well not this exact space as it's not an Audi, but you know what I mean)

@Housey I've been looking at R8s recently. I might trade my TTRS in for one. Can you tell me if there is a paticular year I should be looking at? Seem to remember Audi did a lot of under the hood improvements, but not sure when.
I've been looking at 2012 onwards. Ideally wanted to spend in the region of £50k-£55k

There is a 2016 facelift one £65k but I'd really be stretching for it

Man of Honour
@Housey I've been looking at R8s recently. I might trade my TTRS in for one. Can you tell me if there is a paticular year I should be looking at? Seem to remember Audi did a lot of under the hood improvements, but not sure when.
I've been looking at 2012 onwards. Ideally wanted to spend in the region of £50k-£55k

There is a 2016 facelift one £65k but I'd really be stretching for it

That should get you into a V10 Plus of 2013/14 era, so a facelift car with s-tronic (double clutch, not single). I sold my R8 to Sytner's for £45K and they stuck it up and sold it for around £55K, which I would expect on a car like this. They will have had to spend £2K I think to get it back to forecourt standards (paint, tyres, pads, carbon work, dashboard work). I paid £90K (I think) around 4 years ago so not bad depreciation really considering I did 10K miles a year in it.

I would not want one without a warranty. I am a member of an R8 group of Facebook, good source for advice and cars but there do seem to be people with R8's having to buy cheap stuff (like tyres) because they can't afford the better stuff and I would advise people not to do that really. The car arrived with Pirelli tyres and they were TERRIBLE. So saving £200 for those over PS4's is going to mean you have less of a car, to my point.

They are not an expensive car to run if they work fine, but if they go wrong the bills can be huge. For your budget I could target a late V10 Plus as you can afford. It was the sweet spot of Mk1's in my book and much much faster than the V8.

Soldato
That should get you into a V10 Plus of 2013/14 era, so a facelift car with s-tronic (double clutch, not single). I sold my R8 to Sytner's for £45K and they stuck it up and sold it for around £55K, which I would expect on a car like this. They will have had to spend £2K I think to get it back to forecourt standards (paint, tyres, pads, carbon work, dashboard work). I paid £90K (I think) around 4 years ago so not bad depreciation really considering I did 10K miles a year in it.

I would not want one without a warranty. I am a member of an R8 group of Facebook, good source for advice and cars but there do seem to be people with R8's having to buy cheap stuff (like tyres) because they can't afford the better stuff and I would advise people not to do that really. The car arrived with Pirelli tyres and they were TERRIBLE. So saving £200 for those over PS4's is going to mean you have less of a car, to my point.

They are not an expensive car to run if they work fine, but if they go wrong the bills can be huge. For your budget I could target a late V10 Plus as you can afford. It was the sweet spot of Mk1's in my book and much much faster than the V8.

Thanks for that. Yes, warranty is a must and I have factored that in as well as the usual running costs. That's why ideally I'd like to stick for around the £50k mark if I can.

Associate
Downside is you need to take it to an Audi dealer.

I've been chatting to a couple in my hunt for a RS4, tis' an interesting experience to say the least.
One quoted me a p/x value for my BMW in an email, then in the same email chain, said he had quoted £1k lower.
I think I was asking him too many questions about the history, not an "easy" sale, but why not say he can't make a deal - not lie!

Man of Honour
Sytner offered me 40K for my R8 as a trade in on a brand new one 12 months ago, then buy it off me 12 months later, with no sale, for 5K more. Car sales people are sadly often inept or can't be bothered.

Associate
Poor financial decision complete, traded the 330d Touring for an older B8 RS4. All going well, pick up this weekend!

I am very excited!

Soldato
Hiya,

Am going to soon be a first time Audi owner. My Dad recently passed away so I'm using some of my inheritance to by myself a nice car. Well, it'll be nice by my standards! So, out goes the 1.8 Vectra and in comes an A6 2.0 TDI Ultra Black edition with SLine trim. 2016 model with 37k on the clock.

Can't wait! Although my main concern will be ride comfort as it sits on 20" alloys with 255/35 boots. I have 7 days though to decide if I like it. Well, more like if the wife and kids like it!

Anything I should be looking out for? Dealer is doing the timing belt and water pump before they deliver the car.

Soldato
My A6 runs on 21” wheels with 30 profile tyres and I find it decent on good roads. I do have adaptive air though.

Is this car from an Audi dealer? I’d get them to check the tyre tread depths, the disc and pad thickness and when the last service and oil change was done.

Back
Top Bottom